Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - The man in the high castle gets shooty

You can get the other two pieces of equipment and get the collectibles. That is about it.

You mean the other gear you got the choose from? That I am interested in. Are the missions to get the other equipment special or just after you do so many of them, its unlocked?

I was really into the first game, but I feel like something’s missing in this one and I can’t quite put my finger on it. The writing is just OK, and feels pretty disjointed. The level design is a little confusing, and the guns don’t feel super satisfying.

I just met up with the NY Resistance, so hopefully it’s just the early game that has me a little cold.

The A.V. Club has been doing an interesting kind of “working” review, coming in installments as they play through. I’ve been enjoying reading along and I’ll share it here. Warning: this covers plot points, and I imagine most will want to wait to read until after you’ve played. Not me though!

…Wasn’t this the FPS with good writing?

Then why is BJ saying some embarrassingly mushy poetry to himself about angels and Caroline and being a dead man walking?
And why the game tone is all over the place, some moments being histrionically over the top, others being a badass killing nazis, and others about a depressed, nihilistic, empty inside BJ??

I don’t know the direct answer, since I haven’t played the game, but here’s an answer in the Game of the Month thread:

Youtube critic Campster had similar issues with the game’s wildly inconsistent tone.

PC Gamer posted a spoiler-filled discussion of the story and the game’s design:

I didn’t mind the shifts in tone between serious and over the top wacky, but I wasn’t a big fan of some of his inner monologue, like Caroline and the angles wings. There was so much good stuff thought that I could overlook the bits I didn’t like.

Quick aside: does anyone else get the feeling that developers are sucking with sequels lately? Deus Ex is another example that comes to mind, maybe Shadow of Mordor with the loot box shit. I don’t know. It’s just weird because 20 years ago it was usually the sequel where they hit their stride. So many of my all time favorites have a 2 next to the name.

I think I preferred this to the earlier game, so this definitely doesn’t fall into the sequel sucks category for me. Deus Ex was definitely a step backwards, but didn’t quite suck. I never though Shadow of Mordor was that great to begin with, so the sequel definitely wasn’t a day 1 purchase for me. It seems like maybe I’d get it as part of some bundle, but I definitely don’t feel a big pull to get the sequel anytime soon.

I’m not feeling it with this one. Perfectly happy with our band of cutscene desperados but the actual gameplay feels a bit basic to me. Somehow constricted yet at times too fast. I would refund it if I could.

Here is how I found them. After a certain point, NPCs around the sub will tell you the locations of the other two. You have to remember them yourself as there is no quest listing. Then you can use the helm map to do an Ubercommander mission and the contraption will be laying around like a collectible. Once you get back to the sub, another NPC will give you quest that will unlock the contraption perks.

I’m 100% with @anonymgeist here - I love the tone shifts. The plotting is all two-fisted pulp insanity, but it also takes the pain these larger then life characters feel completely seriously, and it makes the outlandish moments actually mean something. It’s like Buffy in that the contrasts enhance the peaks and walleys rather then undermine them.

Sounds like the first one?

Perhaps people are tiring of the formula a bit. Meaning I looked at the steam reviews.

Probably because there was much less expectation in the smaller market. The sequel is just a repeat with a bit of polish and expanded content.

Perhaps now a lot of these games are already heavily refined prior to release. In the sequel they fiddle with mechanics that aint broke, and content costs a fortune.

What’s behind the submarine door that has a timer on it?

This video looks to be from last Friday, but the count down timer would have expired naturally now? Is there a video of what this looks like since it’s opened, without place holder art and such?

EDIT - I NEVER even saw this vault in the sub, I must have just walked by it dozens of times.

Finished it. It was great as far as story and story scenes go, but the level design was once again quite boring, and both gunplay and stealth leave a lot to be desired. And I hated lack of flashlight. But still, the story made it all worth it. I would like to play a third but it would be nice if they improved all that needs improving.

Also, I never want to step into virtual sewers again. I feel like I must have explored hundreds of them at this point.

I was watching a few random Twitch streamers play through this over the weekend and it looks absolutely insane, in the best way. Now I really want to skip over The Old Blood and go right into this.

I think you’re pretty safe skipping over The Old Blood.