Wonder Woman 2017 - Beating Marvel to the punch

SDCC poster:

Uploading…

Think ya hit post too soon, friend ;)

“Shit, what starts with W?”

Wuv, twue wuv!

Comic con trailer. Stick around until the end for… A joke! The first one in the DCU, ever!

Looks good I think, at least as far as a first reveal goes. I don’t really know any version of Wonder Woman’s origin story though, so it’s a strange sensation to not immediately understand what’s going on in a comic movie. Wonder Woman… helps win WWI? Is that the plot? Is there a Red Skull style comic villain to oppose her, or is it really just about the war itself?

I liked the trailer. Not only does it look like a cool comic book movie—what if Captain America had a sword also?—it also sold me on the needless re-imagining of putting Wonder Woman in the WWI era instead of WWII. Maybe World War Two is world war too played out? Or they want to save World War Two for the sequel to this movie (WWII)? But this way Wonder Woman can hobnob with the last gasp of European nobility and maybe fight some Turks at Gallipoli. Even Etta Candy is there in kind of an Unsinkable Molly Brown incarnation!

I’m excited for the movie!

I imagine they are trying to create some separation from the first Captain America movie, but I’m OK with it. World War I has a lot of imagery and thematic material to mine. There’s the impact of the industrial age on warfare, and a generation of enthusiastic soldiers marching off to glory and encountering only brutal, horrific trench warfare. The last gaps of the old monarchies and the burgeoning class wars. I’m sure the Wonder Woman movie won’t be big on exploring any of those themes, but hopefully some of the visuals will be more than WWII, re-skinned.

It sure looks like they got the character right, at least.

Yeah, I’ll watch the crap out of that. Looked good.

I’m pretty elated to see WW1-era set pieces… especially the early planes (some Fokker EIIIs in there?)! I wonder how the opposing sides will be painted, preferably with a little more nuance than [Germany=pre-Nazi nazis…]

I agree the trailer has me excited for this movie. The trailer for Man of Steel looked great too though and we all got Synder’d. Here’s hoping WW has figured things out.

I’m interested in this since WW appeared in BvS, and it is looking great. But who/what exactly will be the villain here?

Some have theorized it might be Ares, which given the scope of WWI would sort of be his cup of tea.

I also suppose part of the reason for the change in setting is that in the west, WWI is seen mostly as a needlessly brutal war fought for reasons most people can’t really relate to anymore (sucks to be you, Belgium) that supposedly didn’t accomplish anything other than setting up WWII. If the movie plays up the “struggling with the inherent evil- and destructiveness of the world of man” angle, I can see why setting it in WWI seems like a better idea that doing it in the one where the good guys kicked the bad guys’ asses and then everyone lived happily ever after under the threat of mutual assured destruction.

The first star-spangled superhero was actually The Shield, predating Captain America by more than a year. (Minute Man predates Cap as well, but only by a couple of months.)

Like ShivaX says, the classic WW setup is that she left the island to battle Ares, who was leading the world into war (except in the original comics the war in question was WW2 instead of WW1.)

The Great War really is a better choice if they’re going with the angle of “war is futile, horrible and pointless”. WW2 was battling evil given flesh. WW1 was just random bullshit that somehow drug everyone into a giant clusterfuck that did nothing but set the stage for said evil incarnate and even more losses of life. It also captures the whole death of the idea of war being something glorious for most of mankind, which would potentially be really good for Pilot Guy (I don’t know his name).

James Kirk.

Prince Charming.