Wonder Woman 2017 - Beating Marvel to the punch

I saw the trailer for this last night. I might end up seeing it if the buzz when it finally shows is positive. I was never a WW TV show fan, but the trailer did look decent. Not great, but decent.

Oh good, more slow motion. Just what everyone was asking for.

Dude, it’s Wonder Woman, that ship sailed a long time ago . . .

I’m not sure how much stock to put into this.

On the Shmoes Know show, host Sasha Perl-Raver said she had a Warner/DC source that said the Wonder Woman movie so far is kind of a mess.

[quote]
“So, I don’t want to throw anyone under the bus. We have somebody within our community who has gotten insider information that broke my effing heart this week, because I have tremendous belief that Wonder Woman is gonna be awesome and I heard it stinks from the same person who told me that they heard that BvS stinks…The person who I spoke to…their response was 'I’m very disappointed in what I saw, and it seems like all the problems are the same problems. It’s discombobulated, it doesn’t have narrative flow. It’s just very disjointed.”[/quote]

Clip here.

Then again, up until release, a lot of people said Rogue One was going to be a mess due to the reshoots and changes, but a huge chunk of the audience wound up loving the movie.

It’s January. The movie comes out in June. Of course it’s a mess - it’s still in pieces on the factory floor.

That doesn’t mean it’s gonna to turn out to be amazing either, but no FX-heavy movie is gonna look great at this point in its development.

Yeah, but they’re talking story/plot/pacing, which doesn’t get changed by special effects.

A movie that’s mostly special effects is certainly going to have its pacing affected by not having all its special effects. No movie with large parts missing or just storyboards, no final cut, no score and sound FX etc. is going to have “narrative flow” and not be “discombobulated.” (Note they’re specifically talking about what they saw, not what they read. This isn’t a script review.)

I’ve seen plenty of “It’s amazing, I’ve never seen anything like it” advance reports on disappointments (remember the Episode One hype?), and “It’s going to be a disaster” reports on things that turned out just fine (see Rogue One, per Telefrog.) Months-in-advance “news” of this sort mostly tells you about the expectations/hopes/fears of the person reporting it, not the thing itself.

I saw just the other day, that Rogue One surpassed all films released in 2016 for box office totals. Its officially the #1 grossing film of 2016.

PSA! BEWARE!

There was a test screening this weekend in a couple of markets. Limited audience invitations. Hush-hush. All that.

Of course, that means that there are multiple “full movie spoiler” type posts floating around on the internet. Whether any are true or not is up for grabs at this point.

On the flip side, there are 100% legit verified pictures from the recent retailer toy fair showing the main villain and other characters we haven’t seen in trailers.

So, BEWARE! SPOILERS ARE OUT THERE!

So…aside from the spoilers, did the test audiences think it was good or god-awful?

It depends on which ones are telling the truth, if any.

Seems dumb not to have lasso’d them when getting their opinions.

Yeah, seems like the only spoiler that matters, is this movie decent or not?

I read a twitter roundup. Sounds like it’s better than the other DCU movies but still not good.

I am constantly surprised that this movie hasn’t come out yet. I actually went looking for it on pay-per-view the other day.

Until a few weeks ago, I was the opposite. Somehow I’m repeatedly surprised it’s coming out this summer, it seems like some distant event. Same with the Justice League movie—I think it’s due out in November, but I keep assuming it’s next summer at the earliest.

I dunno. I know it has gotten a lot of negative comments in the media (and what DC movie hasn’t of late?) but so far I still get a good feeling about it from the (messy) trailers. It just feels to me like it could be much better than their recent outings. You don’t get a good sense of the plot at all other than “origin story” and “WW fights Nazis” but I still get a sense that we will like the character, and it will feel as grounded as a super-hero movie can be grounded.

Why do studios let directors shoot a ton of random stuff and then let the editor have a field day with the story? Is there really this big of a problem with pre-vis to establish flow, cuts, energy, narrative direction, pacing, etc.? Is it due to the inflated budgets and a willingness to let the director change things at the last minute?

Warner Brothers has a particular problem here with their DC movies especially. They are a mess. Why doesn’t the entire crew have a clear direction going in?

I was watching a few old Speilberg films the other day and even if some of his movies are a little weird (I watched Hook), he is always super on point with the pacing, editing, and musical cues. His movies just flow so well. It’s like studios are hiring spastic, ADD music video directors who are trying to be edgy and cool. When you see something like Arrival it makes you realize how bad these directors are.

Studios schedule movies before they have a finished script. Often, the start pre-viz on big action sequences before the script is done. Then, when it turns out the movie has glaring problems, they have to try and fix it with re-shoots.

Look at Rogue One. That movie infamously had rewrites and reshoots all over the place to the point that some of the trailers were about 60% composed of footage that didn’t go into the movie. The director hasn’t been shy about admitting that they went down a completely different path for much of the movie before going back and retooling the middle and end battle by quite a bit. The end result? A billion dollars and lots of positive critical reviews.

Sometimes the jumble of big-budget filmmaking does okay despite looking like a train wreck from the outside.