Wonder Woman 2017 - Beating Marvel to the punch

But holy cow does that drive up production costs.

This might be stupid question… Is this a full on prequel or we getting a current day framing device with flashbacks to her beginnings?

I’d argue Rogue One is still sort of a mess, and doesn’t actually earn those positive critical reviews. But it’s part of a franchise that people have a lot of love for, and put together by people who obviously understand the formula that makes people love it. That’s why I’m not sure it’s reasonable to extrapolate any of its hail mary success to Wonder Woman, the latest film in an unwatchable film series detested by fans of the franchise, because it has fucked up literally every aspect of the formula for the last three films. A better analogy might be to say: “Hey, give Wonder Woman a chance, because Revenge of the Sith turned out okay, didn’t it?” To which the obvious retort would be: “No, it didn’t.”

Sure, you could go negative too. My point is that reshoots and script rewrites don’t necessarily mean anything for the final product. If all you knew about Jaws was the behind-the-scenes issues, you could easily predict that it would flop.

But that’s not all anyone knows about Wonder Woman, which is my point. It’s by the same people who have fucked up this exact same formula three times in a row, all within the same franchise. And let’s not forget that the last DC movie, Suicide Squad, also suffered extensive reshoots and re-edits, and was an unmitigated critical disaster, widely mocked for its total incoherence. Could it be a good movie in the end? Sure, but to sit around and be positive about it requires some serious cognitive dissonance. All evidence right now suggests it’ll be just as bad as every other thing Zack Snyder touches.

Maybe the marginal costs of the re-shoots aren’t that high when compared with the total cost of the project, including marketing. Since the difference between a well-received movie franchise foundation and a flop is billions of dollars in future revenue, the temptation by the producers to tweak these franchise movies throughout must be overwhelming.

It’s almost like these films need writers, not editors.

They have lots of writers. Wonder Woman alone has four. :)

It’s almost like they need writer, not writers.

Or they need the writers to work together, not one at a time, incentivized to but their stamp on the script for the residuals even if it means tearing down the stuff that works.

Either way though, having a script done before the release date is set and pre-production begins would be a good start.

The Internet is not happy with Wonder Woman’s armpits. Never change, Internet, what would we do without you?

Final Trailer

Tracking to do a $65 million opening.

This is considered “solid” by WB because it’s similar to the opening numbers for Captain America’s MCU debut, as well as Thor and Ant-Man.

This movie has something going for it that no DC film has in nearly ten years: a trailer that actually makes me want to see it.

I hope it does well not just in the box office but critically with the fans. DC really needs a win because even though they have had adequate box office results, they have yet to put out a film in this shared universe phase, that doesn’t have serious flaws.

I hope it deviates substantially from the Synder approach and does well with fans. A Synder-esque movie (e.g., Suicide Squad) doing well critically is just going to get DC to double-down on that drek. Frankly, the financials have been a win for them, if not a Marvel level win. It’s the critical performance that they’re still chasing.

Early fan reports look good.

Best DCEU Movie So Far

Though to be fair, thats a pretty low bar to hit…

Thor 2 the Dark World would probably be the best DCEU movie so far. Or Iron Man 2. I’m still keeping expectations low, hoping to be surprised.

You go girl!