Wonder Woman 2017 - Beating Marvel to the punch

[quote=“Cormac, post:105, topic:78034, full:true”]Though to be fair, thats a pretty low bar to hit…
[/quote]
Critical metaphor failure.

The only defense I could give is that english is not my first language?

Just a clarification, but many of these people aren’t fans. Most of them are critics, and in fact, some of them are critics that judged BvS pretty harshly.

To be fair, if it crashes and burns, your statement will turn out to be accurate.

This is pretty awesome.

And of course, some snowflakes are offended.

My concern for this film is with Chris Pine, you get a guy playing Chris Pine (in his very Kirk-ish way) in an otherwise fresh superhero film with a less established actress who is going to do an awesome performance(from all the previews I have seen). I think they should have used a lesser known for his role and made the Gadot the only star.

This was so good.

Insert not sure if serious meme here

Let me help you out then, serious. :D

Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 are perfectly decent movies, not great, but a good enough time, something the DCEU up until now is lacking. Maybe Man of Steel is better, if one forgets that it’s supposed to be about Superman…

Haven’t seen Iron Man 2, but Thor 2, like the first one, was awful, one of the worst movies in the MCU. So, if your point is that the MCU movies are better, you could pick something like one of the Cap films or Guardians or the first Avengers to make that point. If that isn’t your point, you are simply confused, since both the movies you named are Marvel not DC.

Darth’s point was that even Marvel’s weaker movies are serviceable, whereas the weak DC ones just suck. Obviously a matter opinion, but it’s one I share.

I find the bad DC ones annoying, whereas the weaker Marvel ones (e.g., the Thors) are mildly entertaining and forgettable.

Basically, it’s not just that Marvel’s highs are higher than DCs highs, the average and the low end are better, too. The curve on quality is just shifted over, across the board, between the two.

So low end of Marvel spectrum = high end of DC spectrum? Hard to argue with that. Admittedly I haven’t seen all the DC films, but the last one I remember really loving (aside from the first Red, which I’m not sure we should count for purposes of this discussion) was the first Keaton Batman (and yeah, I know that won’t be a popular opinion). I could totally get behind a live-action musical extravaganza version of Brave and the Bold, though.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/28/530490073/some-men-are-not-happy-about-a-women-only-screening-of-wonder-woman
Some men are idiots. Good on the Drafthouse for their responses.

So with 54 reviews at RT so far, Wonder Woman is doing great with 96% fresh. I’m starting to actually get hopeful about this!

But now my mind is already racing ahead to the aftermath. If Wonder Woman is really “The best DC movie since The Dark Knight” (according to one of the blurbs), and if that translates to box office success, what next for the DCEU?

Do they get confident and double down on their existing plans? Or do they scramble to try to capitalize on a successful WW? I don’t think there’s even a placeholder for a direct WW sequel in their lineup yet, would they bump something else to try to move forward with that ASAP?

Do they send Justice League back for more reshoots, to try to wring everything they can out of WW’s role in that film?

The production drama of the DCEU so far has been more entertaining than the films it’s produced, and now I can’t tell if an actual hit will result in more or less stability. This is fascinating stuff!

Yeah, I’m pretty excited. Double-as-such because my daughter wants to come see this with us, and she’s been going to more and more comic-book movies with the boy and I the last year, which has been fun. The wife wants to catch it, too, and since everyone is interested I want it to be a good (not just “okay”) comic book film. The last time all four of us went to a comic book movie was Logan and even my wife liked that enough she watched it a second time in theaters. I’m hopeful for this one; the trailers made it look like a lot of fun, the early buzz on Twitter was excellent, and now the reviews are coming in hot. Excellent!

Guys don’t get my hopes up like this. DC Comics movies are bad. It is known.

I can’t handle another Man of Steel. I was so excited for that.

Edit:

Opposite side of the same coin as Handmaiden’s Tale. The right hero and subject matter at the right time.

Geoff Johns and Jon Berg need to print that panel and frame it on their office walls.

Mayor Steve Adler is the real superhero.

http://www.mayoradler.com/letter-wonder-woman/

Where is that like button? Oh well. You go girl!