Wonder Woman 2017 - Beating Marvel to the punch

Pine was great, everyone was great.

There must have been extensive changes to the final act late in production because an important thing looks almost nothing like the merchandise.

Was it the invisible plane? :D

I can only imagine the CGI budget involved in adding it to the movie!

• I haven’t seen the movie yet, there might not be a plane.

For anyone curious who’s seen the film already but doesn’t know what I’m talking about, google: “Wonder Woman Ares toy”.

He made a spectacle of himself.

We just got back from the late showing. It was a good serviceable movie. Lots of travelling with sporadic fights showing how awesome WW is to keep you entertained.

The opening scenes on Themyscira were awesome. I could have watched a lot more of that. (I misheard this as “the mysterious isle” - and only upon looking it up, did I realize the island had a real name). However, once their veil of secrecy is breached and the island fighting begins, it felt a bit off as an island full of amazonian warriors who have been preparing to battle the god Ares take quite the beating from a rag-tag group of German marines. It brings to question how strong these women really are.

As the movie goes on, the powers of WW are brought forth in great detail and they were really fun to watch, although I dare say I wish the action could be followed more easily. It was all over so fast, I wanted more!

Gal Gadot really personifies WW and she brings a strong & wholesome character to life. In some ways it felt like a female Captain America as she has the naivete of someone who knows all the world languages, professes love but is a great warrior.

Nice movie.

Now that the thread title debate has petered out and people have​ seen it, can anyone comment?

To reiterate, JW would be the very upper limit of not too realistic violence she would take.

Thanks,
Wendelius

It is remarkably bloodless for a movie about WWI and featuring a heroine who uses a sword as her primary weapon, but there is a LOT of killing and implied death.

In fact, despite the fact that a lot of the action scenes uses Snyder’s “300” style of fast-slow-fast shots with hand-to-hand weapons, I don’t think there is a single blood-spatter in the entire movie. Nor is there a single shot of a gaping wound, or a head-shot or anything like that. The camera cuts away from such stuff or simple shows someone falling (dead) after getting bloodlessly hit by a sword on the off-camera side of the body.

There are a couple scenes of people dying from poison gas, but despite their disturbing screams you never see them directly… they are always obscured by the gas or hidden behind chemical gear.

It’s less disturbing than Rogue One and far less bloody than even the first Jurassic Park.

Thanks @Tin_Wisdom. That’s very helpful. I think she might be OK with that.

Wendelius

There are also some shots of soldiers coming back from the front who are wounded, lost limbs, etc.

My 8 year old daughter was fine. The horrors of war violence, as Tin wrote, were largely implied, not rendered onscreen.

There were a couple scenes w sex related banter between WW and Trevor. My 11 year old son, when they finally kissed: “This is the scariest part of the movie”.

LOL We just got back from it and I wanted to read this thread. I heard my 9yo son say, “Aww, yuck,” two seats over during that scene.

Their attitudes are really going to change in a few more years.

Good movie, definitely DC’s best so far. As already mentioned, I could’ve done with more of Themyscira and Diana’s upbringing. Couldn’t care less about the creator’s fixations since none of that appears in the film. One big complaint is more about marketing than the movie itself; the trailers have again shown too much, I felt like the action scenes in Veld were stale because I’d already seen those fights multiple times. Yes, I could actually NOT watch trailers (hard to do at the movies), but those have always been part of the excitement buildup before a movie’s release.

Having now seen it, I believe this was intentional. While the amazons were in hiding, the world had been passing them by. The world didn’t need them anymore as they once did. It needed Diana, and at that point, they had served their purpose by raising her. I actually think they acquitted themselves quite well given the technological disadvantage.

As to the violence in the movie and suitability for kids, I’d say while it isn’t very graphic, it IS rather intense at times, with a lot of implied death.

I like your approach. I could jump on that wagon and agree.

Was it just me or has the WW symbol disappeared? (it looked way too much like Whataburger or West World previously). When the outfit did not seem to have the symbol I thought I had previously seen.

I found this article and I suspect the attorneys figured it would be best to steer clear.

Saw the movie today. Definitely the best DC movie since the Nolan Batmans.

Interestingly, I thought the final battle was the worst part of it. That battle was basically straight out of the bad DC movies (e.g., BvS). All the other fights were great.

I thought Pine did a fine job. He firmly stayed in the supporting role and didn’t steal the limelight from Gadot, at all.

Gadot was perfect for the role and did a great job of conveying both naivete and conviction. Gorgeous as hell, to boot. I’d buy that she’s a Hellenic statue come to life.

Final battles are often the least interesting part of superhero movies, even good ones (e.g. Iron Man.)

Sometimes that’s because they’re foregone conclusions - the movie is already over, dramatically speaking, and the final fight is just punctuation. Sometimes that’s because the final fight is trying to do a whole bunch of things at once - not just be an action scene, but contain a bunch of dramatic dialog between hero and villain, tick off important plot points and resolve subplots, involve various minor characters, etc - and because they try to do a lot of different things at once, the chances increase that some of those things are done poorly.

Generally middle-of-the-movie action scenes are more satisfying, because they’re more self-contained and can end in genuinely unexpected ways (with the hero failing or a new plot point popping up.)

I agree with your comment on the meta issues often surrounding final battles.

But for WW, I just thought the final battle sucked in terms of the visuals, the action, etc., and not just because of its place in the plot. It was too plastic and over the top. As I said, it just felt so rehashed from MoS or BvS.

For example, I enjoyed the final battles in both Avengers flicks, because they still felt choreographed and fun to watch. This one, like the out DCU ones, is just over the top.

Is this movie safe for 8 year old girl? It is P13 here and that means parental guidance and all… just wondering how much gore there is.

edit: looks like it is safe, according to @mono

Violent and intense at times, but not gory at all.