Wonder Woman 2017 - Beating Marvel to the punch

For whatever reason, her powers only started manifesting once she started seriously training and then started just ramping like crazy as each minute of the movie went by (for example, what happened to her when she scaled the tower to get the gear). Alternatively, perhaps her powers only started manifesting once Ares started taking a more direct hand in mortal affairs.

They had some lines about “him finding her” if she either became aware of who she was (presumably, becoming aware of her powers). They never really developed that much beyond that, but one can assume that her powers were somehow being suppressed for most of her life.

I think she was busy racing cars with Diesel.

Keep in mind that Perez’s 1986 run had Wonder Woman come to “Man’s World” in the middle of the Cold War. Ares’ plan is to bring about the ultimate blood sacrifice by instigating a nuclear war. In the big fight with Ares, she wraps him with the Lasso of Truth and forces him to see the reality of his plan - that if everyone on Earth dies, there will be no one left to worship him. Forced to see the folly of his plot, Ares retreats. It’s a resolution that emphasizes peace, compassion, and honesty.

Here, we get “I believe in Love!” then she kills him with a lightning bolt.

Look at the Ares toys:

He’s got a monsterous skull for a head, no visible face beneath, and based on the LEGO set, he’s also gigantic.

In the film, it’s always just David Thewlis in armor, face visible, and never enormous. The helm has horns, but he’s not literally wearing a skull. He’s not in the previews, so there isn’t much out there to show in comparison, but here’s some rando instagram shot I found:

I know toys frequently start production before the final cut of a film is nailed down (remember Constable Zuvio from The Force Awakens, a character that showed up in the toy line but was cut from the movie?), but it just struck me as curious that Ares was so noticably different in the film—especially that he was never gigantic—so I wondered if there were some rather serious last minute changes to the finale.

I saw this earlier today. This was a great movie. I thoroughly enjoyed Gal Gadot and Chris Pine. I don’t think the movie would have done well without either of them, and he brings something to this movie the other ones before it totally lack which drags those other movies down. It has as gorgeous soundtrack I am very likely to buy. I cared about nearly all the characters they presented, even the side ones. I wanted to see more about the Amazons who did an excellent job against tech they didn’t know.

Also, this more than any other movie in the DC verse is going to get me to see Justice League. I couldn’t care less about the other two since they’re movies were mostly… meh, but her presence in that group makes me willing to give it a shot.

I also should add, I don’t just put it at the top for DC, but this is a top for all the superhero movies in my book. I’ll buy this when it comes out.

Didn’t Ares more or less look like that in the Amazon flashback scenes, when Diana was learning about her origin before leaving the island?

Also saw this today, as well (in 3D fwiw). Tremendously fun movie. While I still think a few Marvel movies were probably better, this ranks in the top 5 superhero films I’ve seen.

“It’s my favorite scene in the movie and it’s the most important scene in the movie,” Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins told Fandango during an exclusive conversation prior to the film’s June 2 release. “It’s also the scene that made the least sense to other people going in, which is why it’s a wonderful victory for me.”[/quote]

“I think that in superhero movies, they fight other people, they fight villains,” she said. “So when I started to really hunker in on the significance of No Man’s Land, there were a couple people who were deeply confused, wondering, like, ‘Well, what is she going to do? How many bullets can she fight?’ And I kept saying, ‘It’s not about that. This is a different scene than that. This is a scene about her becoming Wonder Woman.’”[/quote]

Yeah, that really was the pivotal scene imho. Of course, that’s what was intended by the director, but sometimes those moments go over like lead balloons cough-WhyDidYouSayThatName-cough.

I too saw this over the weekend. Between two of us we both gave it a thumbs up. It was perfect as a delivery vehicle for DC and Wonder Woman in particular. Gadot was WW personified and perfectly cast.

Similar to others, I saw it in 3D and actually appreciated it, until the last quarter of the movie when many (most?) scenes were just too dark. For the origin 1/3 of the movie, the 3D was amazing though.

The final battle rubbed me wrong a bit. I think it could have used the most work out of the whole movie. But all the characters seemed decently written and fairly well cast.

I look forward to the inevitable sequel.

God there is some horrible misoginy in this thread. No one reads the original Wonder Woman stories, they are terrible. Just like no one takes seriously the old Batman/Robin super gay 60s comics. Both characters have evolved over time. The Wonder Woman character as written and used today is a far cry from her origin. Bringing up the “technically her creator was a bondage fetishist” is so incredibly demeaning and dismissive of 60 years of her characters history. I mean, Batman once wore a rainbow colored suit for a storyline. Why didn’t Nolan’s Batman have this! Its an outrage!

Or, characters and storylines change with the times. Perhaps we could not make Gloria Steinhams favorite character a sex slave?

Okay what. You’re late to the party and just spewing random responses at a debate that died down days ago.

Well 3 days isn’t that long ago, and it just shifted to the movie’s opening weekend… to be fair.

Here we are.

This is the one that might well need a “Amazon bondage time!” type sub-title. :)

Oh yeah, and now that I’ve had some time to think on it, how did Trevor and Diana get from somewhere in the Mediterranean to London in one night on a sailboat?

He said they got a lucky break and caught a ride with a larger boat as she woke up.

Right, but that boat was a harbor tug, if I’m not mistaken. But let’s say it wasn’t, or they snagged a ride with something else while out on open water, the trip still should’ve taken more than one night.

Obviously, the point was to just move things along, though I admit it wasn’t done in the most artful way. I was thinking during the movie that Wonder Woman sleeps like a drunk lumberjack. A big old, noisy boat hooks on to her sail boat and she just keeps dozing away. Clearly, that’s her kryptonite.

Yeah, it was one of the little issues I had with the script. They could have easily done a little montage for 15-20 seconds showing them sailing to make it clear they’d been at sea longer. This was a clear case of what, as an editor, I’d call author intrusion. It was clear the author (or scriptwriter) needed them to get to London, so there they were.

Perhaps I missed it mentioned here or elsewhere, but I certainly missed the significance of the photograph Diana was looking at during the movie as she remembers her past. I missed that it was sent from Wayne Enterprises

How did I not catch that? Maybe I can finally blame 3D on something. Or my beer.