Wonder Woman 2017 - Beating Marvel to the punch

I just got back from this. Amazing movie, right up until he point Ares showed up. Then it became typical DC comics Synderverse garbage. The movie should have stopped after Steve gave his speech, with WW vowing not to fight anymore. Until Doomsday, later.

Ares sucked. The rest of the movie is good enough to forgive the Stephen King ending, though. It’s like when your DM runs an awesome adventure and is like “Crap I guess they deserve a boss fight” and kinda ruins it.

[spoiler]Of course I knew David Thewlis was Ares the first time he appeared onscreen, but I figured he would at some point transform into a awesome, beautiful Greek god. Nope, still just David Thewlis rocking the hipster mustache, even in the flashbacks.

I agree that the punchity-punch in act 3 was a big let down.[/spoiler]

You guys are such cynics, I am too, but I loved the Ares appearance… I kind of expected it, but I loved that it showed how POWERFUL WW is. In comic book terms she can kick Superman’s butt and has, and in Marvels realm she’d be on par with the likes of Thor (who has been somewhat lessened in the movies).

i was greatly surprised by Wonder Woman. It’s a better movie than both Thor/Captain America which are similar. I thought the chemistry between Pine and Gadot was what made it for me. Both really took there roles as far as they could.

My wife cried with joy about 5 times during this movie, and 4 of them were during the scenes in Themyscira. This movie was just wonderfully written, and acted, and filmed. The tone was pretty much perfect for me, from the battle on the beach to the shopping scene to the trench and village fight. When she busts into that room with the Germans and her theme started up, it was like seeing Wonder Woman the way I’ve always wanted to see her. We’ve had so many superhero movies with so much blurry hyper action it was beautiful to see her do something simple like flip that armored car. She was so fluid and strong, while still being feminine and … and I can’t believe they pulled this off… almost childishly naive at points. But that whole theme of her ascribing evil to a supernatural influence while Pine is trying to gently tell her humanity is its own foil was absolutely ruined by the ridiculous Ares fight at the end. Now I will give them Ares is a worthy foe and a main villain but his reveal was a little offputting, it kind of broke the tone a bit.

Other than that just a superb movie. Patty Jenkins knocked this out of the park. They should give Whedon and her the keys to the franchise.

WW is definitely better than Thor (1 and 2) and the 1st Captain. But Winter Soldier is just a whole different type of movie and helps to push superhero movies in a whole different direction, you can’t really compare WW to it, or at least compare and say that WW comes out on top.

Captain America was orders of magnitude better than the tripe that was Thor, IMO. WW was pretty damned close to Cap 1 (high praise–one of Marvel’s best movies ever if not the best). Overall, though, I give the edge to Cap because I think Steve has a better story arc than Diana. Diana is already a god/demigod when the movie begins (though she doesn’t know it). She’s the quintessential chosen one. Steve is the 70 lb weakling who becomes a hero. I also think Red Skull is a stronger villain (though I liked the twist that Ares was the God of truth, not of war and that the real villain is mankind).

These are small nit picks, both movies are great.

Yah Winter Soldier is actually my fave Marvel movie. I might even say its as good as Nolan’s Dark Knight.

Also, how badass was Claire Underwood in this? Its hard to believe its the same actress that played freakin’ Buttercup. Wright’s part was short but magnificent.

Would you say it’s… inconceivable?

Saw Wonder Woman to last night!

Guess it wasn’t No Woman’s Land…

I thought it was decent. Although I think they left some plot points on the cutting room floor.

I felt they must have cut some stuff on the supporting characters.

For example,where was the character arc explaining how The Chief went from “I don’t fight, I’m a smuggler” to Mr Explosives? ’

But the biggest omission was any explanation on the bracelets, unlike the rest of her arsenal. They just appeared during her training…

Chris Pine is either really good actor or eminently forgettable, I didn’t realize Steve Trevor was “New Kirk” until the credits!

I agree; they probably left stuff out for pacing purposes. I wonder if we’ll ever see a “director’s cut” version, but I kind of doubt it.

They didn’t explain her colored armor or shield, either. I think the point is that the bracelet’s aren’t magical (or uniquely magical)—it’s just really tough metal, like her body armor and shield. It’s her skill that lets her deflect bullets and her innate powers that let her do that explosion thingy. The lasso was explained because it had magical powers. The Godkiller was explained because it was a plot point—it actually didn’t seem to have any particular powers.

That’s because she’s the GodKiller. That was just a sword they gave a name to keep her origins a secret from her. Presumably they never talked about the bracelets either and let her assume that power she saw was those, not her… another secret.

I’m aware of the role of the sword in the story. The interesting thing is that she never really expressed that much surprise at her emerging abilities. The first explosion, super jump, super strength (during the climbing scene). It’s clear that the other Amazons aren’t superhuman, but she doesn’t seem to be too curious about weird things happening. I don’t think the Amazons even tried to fool her by attributing it to the bracelets. I guess she’s use to being unique, being the only child on an island of (ageless?) adult women.

She thought she was created from clay… that already makes her pretty different. She’s the only child on the island. Wonder Woman has known she was different from the start.

I mean I get what you’re saying, but she was never ordinary no matter how you look at it, and her aunt treated her like she was more than just a little extraordinary since the start.

I think it’s a wonderful movie in the tradition of Superman, the Donner version. It’s doing something different from the Marvel movies, it’s not better than them, I don’t think, I still like the Winter Soldier or Iron Man more than Wonder Woman, but not as a superhero movie, if that makes sense.

No idea how it can possibly coexist with the DCEU slit your wrists bummer movies that came before it…

There was a “damn, that’s cool” moment of recognition climbing the tower. It was quick, but it was there.

[quote=“DarthMasta, post:284, topic:78034, full:true”]
I think it’s a wonderful movie in the tradition of Superman, the Donner version. [/quote]

I think that’s an excellent point, and probably one of the reasons I liked it so much.

Yup, I know. The interesting thing is she doesn’t have much curiosity about how she (unlike everyone else she’s ever met) has the ability to dig her fingers into stone. She actually did the “damn it’s cool” both on the first hop and then with the stone bit. She was surprised on the first block explosion during training, but apparently by the time of the tower scene, she’s no longer even surprised by having powers.

I actually dug that, but felt it would have worked better with a younger actress.

What I think they were trying to convey was an almost adolescent confusion with discovering the adult world. Adolescents have to deal with constant change and surprises both in terms of discovering their own bodies/minds/capabilities and learning both the good and evil in the world of men. This movie captured that really well, they just used an older actress portraying a character that had an adolescent naivete due to a very sheltered youth.