Wonder Woman 2017 - Beating Marvel to the punch

Yeah, I wouldn’t have minded it if Ares had just shown up having heard of Diana’s exploits on the front, or had been trapped by the humans, like that Dr lady (who was also awesome) in some way, further proving him correct about the nature of humans, rather than just being “Oh, it is that guy from before”

Remus Lupin is the god of war, got it.

Movie was still amazing though, these are all minor nitpicks, and they mostly went with “Humans basically did this on their own”

Wonder Woman has now surpassed both all other DCEU movies in domestic box office.

Man of Steel - $291 million
Suicide Squad - $325 million
Batman v Superman - $330 million
Wonder Woman - $330.5 million

That said, it’s made $663 million worldwide, so it has a way to go to beat Batman v Superman’s worldwide box office of $873 million.

So I just saw this and thought it was one of the best superhero flicks made except for the last 15 minutes or so - but up until then, pretty much perfect. Was so glad Zack Snyder didn’t direct but was surprised he produced and co-wrote it.

But I’m confused about one thing: assuming she’s about 25 years old when she meets Chris Pine’s character, does that mean the battle between Zeus and Ares only took place around 1895 or so? Does that even make sense?

I got the impression that the Island kind of stood still in time, like a portal of some kind which is why you can’t return to it, sort. And Diana is immortal so that’s why she doesn’t age later.

I am not a comic book reader, so I am just pulling off what i saw, that the Amazon’s didn’t age and really didn’t advance either from the ancient era.

But it wasn’t really a portal - more like the island was in permanent stealth mode. At least that’s the impression I got.

If it’s only a cloak, why can’t she ever return again? I am pretty sure it’s more than a cloak.

I wasn’t paying close attention, I thought they meant she couldn’t return not in a literal way, but more in the sense that she was throwing her lot in with humanity and would no longer have a place in their society.

Steve and the Germans just accidentally crashed into the island, there certainly wasn’t anything stopping them from landing there, only the fact that they wouldn’t have known to look for an island there. There didn’t seem to be any more significance to it than that—they lucked into it. No mystical protection beyond hiding it, nothing like the island from LOST jumping through time and space or the mystical city of K’un-Lun appearing every seven years or anything fancy like that.

I took it as literal. Voluntarily leaving the island means she cannot return.The island was protected by being hidden, but it seems like once you leave you can’t find it again. Nothing really stopped them from finding it by accident aside from the fact that ancient boats would have a hard time navigating those rocks in the fog and probably be broken apart.

Huh. This was certainly not terrible and I’d watch it again if it pops up on Netflix or something, but I came out of it being somewhat underwhelmed. I guess all the positive reviews had heightened my expectations too much, and some gushing articles made it seem like the combo of female hero lead and Patti Jenkins’s direction was some sort of game changer or at least made for a bit of a different comic movie experience. Sadly, it wasn’t - especially when the third act kicked in.

To its credit, most of the cast was rather likeable - that has not the case for some of the recent Warner/DC movies. I also liked some character arc aspects. When the marksman screws up in the second act and is unable to hit the other sniper, you 100% expect that there’ll be a big scene in the third act where he’ll have to overcome whatever trauma it is to save the day. And then that didn’t happen, and I actually liked that.

I also appreciate that the movie stands on its own and was not as heavily tied into other DCU movies as it could have been. Brief Wayne Enterprise cameo aside, they didn’t emphasise the other DCU notably and even refrained from having a post-credits scene. I also like her music theme–it’s been introduced in BvS already, I know–which is distinct and memorable. I wouldn’t be able to spontaneously hum any other recent superhero theme.

The second act works best, I thought. That part when she plows through the village and her theme music kicks in - wonderful.

As for the parts that didn’t work as well for me… some of the dialog was really cringeworthy, and I was about to laugh/groan when the “LOVE!” bit came up - just as I was when Anne Hathaway’s Interstellar line made its appearance.

I also thought Gal Gadot’s performance was serviceable, but not enthralling. I never really cared about Captain America, but Chris Evans, being the affable fella he is, helped me getting sold on it. Gal Gadot’s WW is more akin to Chris Hemsworth’s Thor (first movie) in that he wasn’t bad and looked up to the part, but without making the character his own the way Evans, Bale, or RDJ did with their respective heroes. (Mind you, Hemsworth has grown on me a bit over the course of several MVU movies and bits in other movies.)

The finale was a letdown because it was mostly about walking down a trodden path. I really David Thewlis and was initially happy to see him in this as I was delighted to see him in the third season of Fargo - but as soon as its about his face getting projected in a CGI super-hunk, it got boring. Also, the bit about the soldiers hugging istantly afterwards… it was hard to take it seriously.

But it’s probably more profitable already given BvS’s production budget and far higher marketing investment.

I believe this is true, but we’ll never really know for sure because movie studios don’t normally drill down into the numbers that deeply.

I just assumed the training montage took place over a couple thousand years.

So the family and I saw this on Sunday. I think we all enjoyed it as a stand alone but none of us thought it was as good as say a Captain America movie. In fact I think there are a lot of similarities between WW and CA1. The first two Captain America movies were on FX yesterday and after watching CA1 again even my wife and daughter agreed that WW seemed to borrow freely from it.

One interesting result of watching the movie was my older daughter (27), who had no use for superhero movies spent the yesterday watching everything she could on Netflix (or elsewhere on line).

If we assume equal marketing (a very conservative assumption), I think WW is still far ahead, due to the stronger domestic performance and 100M lower production budget. Plus, it’s still raking it in.

Wonder Woman

production: 149M
domestic: 350M
foreign: 363M
D+F: 714M

BvS

production: 250M
domestic: 330M
foreign: 542M
D+F: 873M

Interesting that it’s not doing better overseas, especially compared to BvS. I guess I expected it to fare better than it would here state-side.

More numbers need to be taken into account (marketing and distribution, opening weekend vs trailing weekends, China performance, broadcast presell), but you’re still probably right.

That’s cool, although maybe your daughter enjoyed it a little more than you thought if she started watching superhero movies after watch WW 1 when they and the captain movies have been available for awhile now.

She has always been a little of a more “serious” movie fan, or at least someone who thought the Marvel movies were beneath her. I do remember her loving the Bale Batman movies.

She will see movies with “the family” because I pay for it and we usually go out for dinner afterwards. But yea, I would agree she must have liked WW more than me to get her wanting to see the Marvel flicks.

And it’s not that I disliked WW, but I am not a fan of the ending and there were just parts of it that seemed off.

I finally saw this this past weekend. I had promised myself that I was done with the DCEU, unless WW garnered universal critical praise.

Well, it did, so I went.

I’m so glad I did. What a breath of fresh air this film was. Having a character who is so inherently noble, and with such a strong desire to simply be good and do good - I loved it. That optimism and naivete coupled with the film treating the character as a god - just wonderful. Marvel characters generally are a little closer to home; even with Thor, they humanize him by humbling him in the first film, and making him somewhat comedic in latter films. DC definitely mythologizes their characters a bit more. And that served them well here.

WW herself is just … well, she’s super well written, and super well portrayed. She’s completely aspirational while also feeling just enough “other” that you’re slightly in awe of her. Hell, when the movie was over, I felt like a kid who wanted to dress up like Wonder Woman for Halloween (note: you would not want to see this, I’m a middle aged, hairy man with what could maybe generously be referred to as a Dadbod).

This kind of hopeful optimism - without any of the slight cynicism or tongue in cheek attitude that you find in other superheroes (from both companies) was totally what I’ve been missing in comic book movies. I think the last one I saw that felt this earnest was maybe the first Guardians of the Galaxy.

I watched this over the holiday. I thought it was good but far from great. The fight scene music was jarringly bad. And the posse that followed Wonder Woman and Chris Pine was pretty pointless. They didn’t add much, I am not sure why they were there to be honest. Also the end…parachutes were a thing. It’s worth pointing out that Gal Gadot is super hot. Lynda Carter to Gal Gadot, that’s a nice hand off.

Just to be pedantic, parachutes were just BARELY a thing. Some German aircraft used them here and there, but they were mostly used by spotter blimp crews. And parachutes back then were stored in a bag connected to the fuselage – the “backpack” parachutes didn’t really come into being until after the war.

Fun fact: parachutes were specifically NOT equipped on Allied fighter planes in WWI because it was thought having them would encourage the crews to vacate expensive planes when there was still a chance at recovery.