Wonder Woman 2017 - Beating Marvel to the punch

And when she was leaving the Amazonians, the Queen also told her that it was just a story. And the Amazonians withheld so much information on her origin (she is the weapon, not the sword), it is as if she is still a child. If you are saying that she is THIS naive is internally consistent, then I agree with you. On the meta level, however, IMO it is BORING to have this as the origin story for a women-child demigod. There is no natural character growth, which brings me to the point about LOVE! What? If that is the conclusion of her character growth, then it is just too quick, and completely unearned. Maybe a demigod figure things out faster than normal people?

People comparing it to CA1 is right IMO, in that it is kind of a meh: Steve is essentially still Steve at the end of CA1. Captain American only really got going in Winter Soldier, when Steve grows as a character as he reacts to the world. Iron Man 1 is perhaps the gold standard of origin movie, in that there is natural character growth within that one movie, Stark from a total narcissist to non-total narcissist.

Gal Gadot is great as Wonder Woman, but I’m saying the material she has to work with is dire. It is dire because the beating human heart of the movie is missing, that the character growth is unearned. IMO WW the movie only wins because of Gal Gadot, and the cachet of WW.

I just saw the movie. I agree 100%. One thought that came to me during the fighting at the Front when WW assaults the german trenches through No Man’s Land and then later the town, was that THIS is what I wanted to see in Captain America, but never got to see.

I guess despite the positive word of mouth I still went in with very low expectations, considering that this takes place in the same universe as Man of Steel and Batman Vs Superman.

Plus it really did feel like a revelation to me, in the same category as Dark Knight, Logan, Toby McGuire’s Spiderman, Winter Soldier, etc., because of the tone of the movie. I’ve certainly come to expect a darker, more serious tone from superhero movies, or at best, a more carefree tone in movies like Guardians of the Galaxy. Wonder Woman was a revelation to me because of that combination of optimism and naivete in the main character. It really felt different and fresh.

Though I do agree the final boss fight was a bit of a let-down. I wish the writers had found a way to make that last fight as refreshing as the rest of the movie.

Sorry to keep posting back to back to like this, but I’m still thinking about how much I loved this movie. The breakout performance for me was the British lady (I’m assuming) who played Chris Pine’s secretary. She was sooooo good. Her comedic timing and delivery was just so spot on, she had me laughing out loud in several scenes.

Edit: Looking up IMDB, That was Lucy Davis, who played Dawn on the original British Office. I totally didn’t recognize her. Wow!

Variety confirmed that Patty Jenkins will direct the sequel.

I only saw it because WW is hot. I don’t have a problem with those types of protagonists.

We covered in the Last Jedi thread that the Star Wars date did indeed slip to December as suspected, putting Episode IX and WW2 a week apart.

I missed this last week, but as you’d expect, Wonder Woman blinked in that showdown:

It’s pretty cool that just by avoiding that thread, I have no clue what’s coming in Last Jedi. In the Force Awakens, I ran into quite a few spoilers just in internet headlines and late night talk show hosts talking about trailers and news hosts talking about trailers. This time around everyone just talks about Trump. I haven’t heard or seen anything about the movie, so just by staying away from the Last Jedi thread, I’ve been able to avoid any images or trailers or posters or news. Pretty amazing. That almost came to an end yesterday during Sunday Night Football, when a trailer started for Last Jedi during the game. I quickly changed to Wolfenstein 2 though.

Close call! I saw the first trailer for The Last Jedi (on purpose) and decided after that to go on “full media blackout” (so I haven’t been back to the thread here in quite a while). I’ve been keeping my headphones in during previews at the theater so I can crank some music and close my eyes every time a new trailer comes on. So far so good, just a few more weeks…

And this is why you DVR the games and skip commercial breaks!

Uhhhh…

All she has to do is reprise her close-range headshot executions in Mother!*

-Tom

* exclamation point theirs

I realize that Gal Gadot is very hot, let us not forget that the lineage of Wonder Woman starts with Lynda Carter

Confirmed. Kristen Wiig is playing Cheetah in the sequel.

Weird.

Cheetah? I know it’s one of her original villians but come on, she has a lot more powerful enemies in her roster now. Plus what angle are they going with the character? Are they pulling a Michelle Pfifer (sp?) Catwoman where a meek and awkward girl transform into an evil schemer?

Kinda not thrilled at that casting, but Patty Jenkins knocked the first movie OUT OF THE FUCKING PARK with the best Wonder Woman ever (except the Timmverse one) so she gets my trust.

Like “wait, do I also have fur and a tail?”

Patty Jenkins changed her Twitter banner:

Gal gadot just tweeted me “I will be Wonder woman again” – though I think it was a general tweet. I mean not to me specifically. Though I am not sure…

sigh - nobody famous tweets me, let alone Wonder Woman!