Wonder Woman 2017 - Beating Marvel to the punch

Hey so this lasso she has. I’ve looked up the first movie and it’s more of an Indiana Jones whip? Like she snags soldiers by snapping it around them, rather than lassoing them like a cowboy. This is weird, right? Does it bother any of the long time comic book readers or am I alone in thinking it just kinda feels wrong for the character?

That wasn’t the important part, was it? The important bit was that the lasso/whip makes the target tell the truth, so it’s like a truth serum effect.

It does both (whip and lasso). Basically super rope.

I’m just referring to the action bits, which I’m assuming she must use profusely in the comics to catch things, throw things, snag and trip people, etc. A google search never, ever shows it as a single strand, where you see an end that looks like a cut rope end. The sequences in themovie seem like an Indiana Jones kinda thing, and not a lasso kind of thing. Dunno, just rubs me wrong in motion.

Pushed back to June 2020.

Both studios should’ve just talked to me first and I could’ve explained this all months ago.

In this case I believe it was the double whammy of the crowded holiday 2019 schedule and the fact that Warner’s DCU is in turmoil.

Yeah, that comment about “the changing landscape” could definitely suggest that, aside from also referring to the calendar landscape. Seems like they are headed towards an almost complete reboot, except likely keeping Gal (and maybe flash and Jason, depending upon his movie’s performance).

It would be cool if somehow they could do a “Crisis” movie that involved multiverse characters including Affleck and Cavill and then had them swapped out by the end of that movie with counterparts from other realities, which allow them to also completely move away from dark and gritty if that was their intention. Hell, they could throw in Phoenix and Leto as Joker counterparts. Could be amazing.

So, of course, they won’t do anything like that.

While I’d absolutely love this as a fan, I’ve never seen such a thing happen in a film before; only in Doctor Who. I suspect getting the actors on board would take a really, really awkward pitch; “So here’s the idea; we want someone else playing your roles, so we found a way to creatively kill you off and get replaced. Everyone on board with that?”

But they are likely under contract, so they’d have to participate or accept costly consequences. And it’s a better alternative for the studio than just abandoning those rights to the actors and replacing them (possibly with costs, as the actors may get paid some amount just for remaining available to participate). And Affleck may view that as a great way to exit early, especially since both he and Cavill are big comic fans.

Everyone other than Phoenix would be locked up (having him participate is a pipe dream, but I had to suggest it, since it would be so cool).

Gal is Wonder Woman. I don’t mind Chris pine in there (I am sure he is dead but whatever) but I’d rather not have Affleck I my WW movie.

WW is better than the “DC universe” stuff anyways.

Late to the party but I just finished watching it about 10 minutes ago, and I was also bored.

I can’t say I liked the movie or will be watching it again, and I don’t understand why it was so well received.

Still it’s better than BvS, which was crap, and better than Suicide Squad which was a turgid waste of time.

I’m very curious as to how such acting talent and so much money can be squandered to create such a bad film.

So, out of the DCU movies I’ve seen Wonder woman is probably the best but compared the MCU movies it’s among the lower of them.

I would rate it as good as Iron Man 2 and the last spiderman (the one with Michael keaton as the vulture) but nowhere near something like Black Panther or Guardians of the Galaxy etc.

I thought Black Panther and Wonder Woman were equally enjoyable. That is to say, I had a good time, but both were also incredibly overrated and nowhere near as good as the best Marvel films. The villains in both films were terrible.

…and you lost me. Wrong thread for me to respond in, because I agree the Wonder Woman villain was terrible, but Killmonger* is one of Marvel’s best.

*cc: @tomchick

Agreed. Because Killmonger, however twisted his means were, had a point. Notice how the hero evolved and changed after interacting with him.

Killmonger was an excellent villain.

Ares was an excuse to kill off all the the other gods and to confuse Diana about the nature of men, little else.

Killmonger was excellent.

I honestly don’t remember who the villain was in Wonder Woman. I loved the movie, but I only remember her training and the World War 1 soldier, and her going to London. I don’t remember the villain at all.

I’ll pile on; Killmonger was great. His name was quite uninspired (as is common in the superhero mythos), but I felt the character was fantastic.

Ares, however, really did suck. I think that’s a totally valid criticism of Wonder Woman. There just wasn’t enough for him to do in the film to make the payoff of his defeat feel worthwhile. However, unlike many other superhero films, Wonder Woman didn’t really depend overly much on his character and so I just viewed it as a minor detraction from an otherwise very enjoyable film.

Professor Lupin’s cameo as the villain of this movie was really confusing to me until I remembered that WB already produces the Harry Potter films. Clearly just setting the stage for an epic crossover.

Slight problem: he has the same outcome in both.