Wonder Woman 2017 - Beating Marvel to the punch

The MRA idiocy against Wonder Woman and The Alamo Drafthouse is probably the best thing to happen to DCU movies and the Drafthouse. The publicity has been terrific.

So how did all that stuff about boycotting the latest Star Wars movie over a female and black lead work for them?

It led them to join the dark side, and make nice with Emperor Orange.

Adding to the stupidity, there are a bunch of people now claiming that the Rotten Tomato rating is not valid. The basis for that? It’s getting undue positive attention due to its female director and female lead. Yay! Misogynists Unite!

Question : If you have seen the movie, how suitable is it for a 10 year old girl who is not fond of blood or death at all, but has seen Jurassic world, Rogue One and Guardians 1 and 2?

Not sure whether to bring both my older sons and daughter to a showing.

This seems to entirely fly against

to me, at least. Jurassic World practically revels in the stuff. Or at least as much as a PG-13 movie can.

Sorry can’t answer your question though, I got a 3 month old. I don’t see movies anymore ;)

Well, she did hide for part of the movie, the action is not too realistic (dinosaurs) or taken seriously and that movie firmly established the limit of what she will watch. So I mentioned that more as an upper limit not to cross.

Yeah. I know your pain. 4 kids ago, I used to go to the movies all the time. Then the kids happened and it was many years before I started being able to go back. These days, I mainly use the older kids as an excuse. :)

If this movie is legit good, we need a new thread out if respect. Wonder Woman!

I’d be happy with a new thread title, regardless of the success of the movie.

yes, this thread title is sexist.

Agreed.

Yeah, I never liked this thread title much.

It’s always bugged me that it doesn’t say Amazonian.

Not to be a jerk, but you guys know about Wonder Woman’s real life origin right? Because that’s where the title came from.

I don’t have a clue, I don’t read comics. I only know she flies an invisible jet and she’s Superman’s girlfriend.

Not to be a jerk, but your thread titles, in an effort to be clever, frequently draw upon material people that not everyone knows, which often renders them confusing/bizarre/less useful than they might otherwise be.

You should check it out. It’s actually pretty fascinating. Essentially, the creator of the character was also the inventor of the lie detector and was into polamory, bondage, and believed a matriachal society was the answer to a lot of the world’s ills.

It’s why the character has a magic lasso to bind men and make them tell the truth. It’s also why a lot of her early comics involve her being tied up then turning the tables on her male captors. Her male adversaries were bumblers and petty thugs, while her female enemies (like The Cheetah) are her almost equals. DC, of course, didn’t know any of this until much later.

Because her origin is tied into her creator’s sexual fixations, there’s actually quite a bit of debate about her status as a female empowerment symbol. This is in addition to her traditional comic costume that was created for the male gaze.

That’s more than I ever wanted to know about the creepy Wonder Woman creator.

So even when WW is being appropriated for female empowerment, with DC’s blessing (whilst also lining its own pocket), you still have to trivialise it with its questionable history. How very positive of you.

I’ve said it before, WW should wear full body armour. Her costume right now is still sexist. But a big budget female superhero as summer tentpole movie is progress, and I will happily take it rather than another grimdark Batman/Superman movie.

Would it be a great inconvience to you to shorten the title to just “Wonder Woman 2017”, I Wonder?