Word problem

Paging all the native English speakers out there,

how do you call the substitution of sum with part? As in, when you say ‘‘Cleveland won by 20 points’’ when you actually mean Cleveland’s basketball team or whatever.

Thanks in advance

“They,” perhaps? As in, “They won by 20 points.” It’s just a pronoun, which can be substituted for a noun. I’m not sure I understand what you mean by the “sum with part” from above.

He’s after the grammatical term for that substitution Cleveland for Cleveland’s basketball team.

Yes, im after the word that describes the process of using just ‘‘Cleveland’’ instead of ‘‘Cleveland WHATEVER team’’



Thanks, not what I was thinking of but it did lead me to what I WAS looking for through Wiki. For those wondering, it was synecdoche, which according to Oxford Advanced Learners dictionary is ‘‘a figure of speech in which a part is made to represent the whole or vice versa’’

Thanks guys

Its either a metonymy or a synecdoche, I can never remember which is which. Either way, both are subclasses of “metaphor”.

Oops, never mind, I see you found it.