Workers & Republic: in Soviet Russia, economy manage YOU

Can’t speak for Tom or anyone else, but I believe there’s a distinction being made between Russians individually (who I’m generally fine with) and the Russian government (which I’m decidedly not). IMHO, the problem with purchasing products from Russia is the way the money flows; taxes feed the despot and the war machine. Not saying there should be a boycott, but it definitely brings me pause.

I’m glad you’re enjoying it so far! It’s certainly my new A-Train. I found the tutorials helpful, though I wish they’d spent a bit more time explaining why I was doing things, not just how to do them. I did all three sets of them, though, and I’m glad I did. The two campaigns also serve as tutorials, but they are less guided: the campaigns seem to assume you’ve done the basic tutorials.

The first campaign has you build a republic from an empty territory, and you get plenty of money with which to err. This time you’re free to place your buildings wherever you like. You also get some freedom to choose the order in which you perform tasks – education, farms, industry, etc. The first campaign also skips utilities, which makes sense for a first go.

The first campaign is a prerequisite for the second campaign, which takes place on a populated map, with existing old cities and churches and highways and railroads. It’s a prettier map than the first campaign. But this time you do have to contend with utilities (power, water, sewage), and you have to decide whether to leave people in their old homes or relocate them to more centralized locations. So far I’ve opted to leave them alone, but I’m having trouble serving all of them. It’s all pretty challenging for me, and I’m absolutely loving it.

There are rumors of a third campaign yet to come, this one possibly in Realistic mode. My plan is to finish the second campaign and then try some sandbox games, culminating eventually in a Realistic playthrough.

I don’t suppose this would work well on the Steam Deck, would it?

Is this even possible from a developed market currently, given the sanctions in place?

The economy and market of a nation is inextricably tied to the business that operates in it. Did any non banking or Wall Street business deserve to die in a fire during the 2008 crash? No, but they still did.

What I meant was - given the sanctions in place, which forced most/all western companies to exit Russia’s market in a fire sale in 2022, is it even technically possible to buy a game on Steam from a Russia based developer? That is, where the money is flowing into a Russian bank account? I thought not, but I’m not really sure.

/tangent

You can buy games from 1C/Fulqrum Publishing in Steam right now; they’re Russian and based in Moscow.

(many good games, I might add, lol)

Fair enough, I did bring it up! If you’re asking me about the ethnicity of a developer, I’m not sure when I would ever even know that, much less why it would matter.

All I can glean when I do basic diligence about a developer is which country it’s located in, and therefore which economy it presumably contributes to. Normally, I can’t imagine this would make a difference, but I know that I’ve deliberately avoided playing Escape from Tarkov because it’s developers are inside Russia, and I’ve been particularly relieved at the Metro and STALKER folks being Ukranian. So while I assumed I would have heard if Workers & Republics were a Russian game, I just wanted to thank @Spock for pointing out that it wasn’t.

Does that answer your question?

I am really enjoying this game so far. I’ve done the tutorials and the first campaign. This took me 10.8 hours and I did have a few issues with the being independent for 50 days. I would get into the forties then it would reset, next time 5 days, then 20. It seemed very random but I think I figured it out when one of my small mall food supply dipped very low before being resupplied, my warehouse had lots. It was in a high density area so adding a small grocery store near buy seemed to solve the problem. I’m guessing a spike in the demand caused it. The game didn’t tell me why it reset and it took some investigation.

I’m enjoying it too, and I also struggled to achieve a 50-day streak of economic independence. Like you, I had one shopping center occasionally run out of food. In my case, I just added a truck to transport food directly to that shop from my food factory, and that solved the issue. But it’s funny how long it took me to figure that out!

I now see why some people liken this game to Pharaoh. To “build from resources,” rather than automagically spending rubles, is like constructing one of the big monuments in Pharaoh. Except in this game, you can build everything this way (and you must do so in Realistic mode)! For example, I’m now building a shopping center from scratch. First I set up my industry for the relevant materials – stone, gravel, concrete, asphalt, maybe bricks or steel. Then I built a Construction Office (CO) to coordinate getting workers, vehicles and materials to the site at the same time. Then I watched people and vehicles gather at the site. I’m now building the access road to the shopping center. My trucks hauled in gravel, and a bus hauled in workers, and an excavator drove itself to the site. The excavator regraded and helped lay the gravel layer. Then the asphalt and paver and roller arrived, along with a new shift of workers. I find it mesmerizing!

The gameplay advantage of doing things this way is that it costs you nothing except time, whereas insta-building with “build from rubles” or “build from dollars” costs you cash. (Actually, some parts of my supply chain do still require cash – I’m importing bitumen for now, for example. In realistic mode, I think I’d have to buy that at the border and haul it in.) Anyway, I look forward to seeing how this construction process works for various things – statues of Lenin, secret police stations, etc.

To learn about all this, I’ve been playing the Construction tutorial of the second campaign. You don’t have to play the campaigns, but for me, it’s been a fun and challenging way to learn.

I’m having such a good time with this game! I’m now about two-thirds through the second campaign. My Republic has almost 10,000 people now. About fifty of them now own a car. My big industry, such as it is, is exporting crude oil. I’m now starting to refine some of that oil for my own fuel use. I’ve also worked toward energy independence with a coal power plant, so I no longer import electricity. I still import steel and high-tech stuff, but I hope to change that soon too.

About half the time I construct stuff using my construction offices; when I’m impatient or when something is urgent, I use rubles. I had an earthquake destroy my beautiful big church, which most of my citizens don’t use, but I defied my Communist superiors and rebuilt the thing using a construction office. That took forever, but it looks good, so hey.

I’m about to head to the beach on vacation, but I’ll be playing this game on my laptop. I hope to finish this second campaign in a few days and then finally start a sandbox game on Realistic mode. The campaign has taught me most of what I need to know, except for waste management and heating, and the tutorials did touch on that stuff. I’m ready to try and fail!

I am no where close to where you are in the 2nd campaign. I have only done the construction office module, the one beside it and now am working on the Educational module. I have really backed myself into a corner with some of the decisions I made trying to squeeze things together. I am at a point where I will have to demolish lots of my town and rebuild, go back to an old save or just start again playing on medium sandbox

I change my mind every 15 minutes:)

One of the things I love about these types of games - especially when they are more difficult.

Hmm, are you sure you can’t just work around stuff? For what it’s worth, I have made lots of mistakes, but roads and bus stops can cure a multitude of errors. For example, I’ve had trouble building housing in range of factories. But if I make a bus stop at a factory and another at the housing, and then set the destination (factory) bus stop to “go work at factory,” I do get workers to that factory. If I need only five or ten workers, I assign a microbus to the route. If I need more, I assign a full-size bus.

If your trouble is utilities, that’s okay too. Inevitably you will have to expand your water, electricity and sewage networks. If the trouble is your rail network, that can be a bit tougher to work around, but even that I’ve managed to blunder through. If you’re worried that you placed your construction offices suboptimally, worry not. I’ve found I can place construction offices anywhere, and sooner or later they still get the job done.

Anyway, I do sympathize. This game is not easy! If you want a second pair of eyes to look at stuff, I’d be happy to look at a saved game or a screenshot. Not that I’m an expert!

Thanks for the offer but I just look at it as a learning experience. I had a elementary school in the middle of a residential area where the construction vehicles had issues getting to it. I destroyed a residence, built up some industry and suddenly noticed that no one could reach the water treatment plant so no one was getting water etc. etc. Like I said a learning experience :slight_smile:

I started a sandbox on medium and reinforcing some of the stuff I learned earlier. I like that I have some freedom deciding what I want to tackle next instead of them telling me.

Yeah, I hear you on that. Go for the sandbox! I like the campaigns, but sometimes they impose goals that take too long. I see that a YouTuber with experience in sandbox games finished the second campaign in maybe 10-15 hours, but it’s taking me a lot longer than that.

I’m pretty eager to start a sandbox game in Realistic mode, but I’ve now got only 6 or 7 missions left in the second campaign, and I want that achievement!

So can I get away with not building a steel mill in the second campaign? The campaign has never required me to do so, so I’ve just kept importing steel. But that’s my biggest resource cost, and it’s not offset by the profits I make exporting crude oil and cars. I’ve just been reluctant to build one because the mill is expensive and, maybe more important, I have a chronic labor shortage.

I think that’s a perennial communist problem. Maybe this would help:

Wow, I had never heard of that award. Good find! As it happens, I just started researching higher fertility rates…