Working as a game tester, is it fun?

Exactly, go into QA if you’re looking for advancement, they love to hire from within. I can’t imagine that the job itself offers anything resembling satisfaction. Sounds horrible, actually.

It was a documentary.

I feel the same way. As the technical writer for our product, I’m Customer Zero. I’m always playing around trying to find the limitations of the product so that I can document them properly (because programmers need to know what they can’t do just as much as what they can).

There’s nothing as satisfying to me as logging a solid, reproducible bug during a test/validation/code review phase, and watching all the folks scramble to fix it for the next build. It’s not because people are jumping to my word, but because it’s personal validation that I’m doing my part in helping make the project a success, and that the team has the same final goal that I do.

in parts. It really depends on the shop, the game, and your boss. If you get a fat bastard with the initals MS as your boss- run.

‘that’s not flight III’ in a smarmy voice.

Now I have been out to the interview(in Pinewood Studios, I think I saw a celebrity, but not sure).

The interview took only 30 minutes but felt good, and they told me it would take 2-3 weeks to decide whom to offer the position to.

But 3 hours later I got a mail asking if I wanted the position :D

But currently at the Pinewood Studios office they only test about 1 game/month but they do QA on DVD/Blueray/HD-DVD discs to there will be a lot of movie watching while getting paid.

I think it’s fun for the first week. After that, you come to the realization that you’re not playing the game, you’re trying to break it. Breaking a game requires a ton of tedium like trying to escape from the level in every possible way, checking that every mesh and wall has proper collision, causing bad stuff to happen in creative ways, etc. Not to mention going back and verifying that bugs you found in the past were fixed properly.

Playing the game will hardly ever enter into it except during specific times when the dev team wants to know if it’s playable.

It can be great, though that is rare. I was spoiled by my first experience, which was as a tester on Thief: The Dark Project. That was such a great game that at the end of production, when QA was being paid to just sit around for hours at a time to wait to verify the new build, we kept playing the game – because we still loved it. Few games have that level of quality and replay value, though.

Nice post Angie! Can I ask what games you’ve worked on?

I think Angie has it to dead to rights, and certainly exemplifies the type of personality that a lot of our own QA folks have, where it’s not just testing products up to launch and a patch or two, it’s the live process as well.

Some take the jobs and stay because that’s what they like to do, though to most it may seem very repetitive and boring, with crappy hours. Plus, QA folks do get some input on the creative process and can influence how developers think. Some join up just to get on the bottom rung of the industry, which is fine too.

— Alan

I hate you. ;)

In terms of actually testing and the biz side, it’s way off. The personalities are strangely familiar though. I can probably match some of them with real world people.

I can’t imagine that the job itself offers anything resembling satisfaction. Sounds horrible, actually.

Most satisfaction comes from being part of making the game MUCH better from pre-alpha to final. Seeing something get fixed, changed, or added based on your actions is very satisfying. When programmers give props, or flip out, or when testers flip out, and knowing more about the game than anyone – also satisfying.

Take it and give it a whirl. What’s the worst that can happen?