Working Designs Dead

From 1up: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3146301

Bummer. I remember reading Victor’s posts back in college. He was always willing to share before most developers had figured out this whole internet thing.

I suppose I’ll go play Dragon Force a bit and reminisce. Or perhaps Growlancer, possibly my last game to ever sport a full color manual.

They’ve been dying a slow death since 2001 or so, so I guess I’m not too surprised.

It had to happen. Publishers have gotten their act together about doing their own ports.

Dragon Force was such a blast. I wish my Saturn still worked :(

Fuck
Shit
Fuck
Shit
Fuck

Damn. Well they gave us a LOT of good stuff while they were around… I only wish they’d brought Dragon Force 2 over as well.

I fondly remember the flame wars I had with Vic of WD over buying a Sega Saturn and then a Dreamcast on usenet. He was so convinced that Sega suckedSony was the best company to run the game industry. The fact that it was Sony that caused them to close down is ironic.

Wasn’t their choice to drop Sega over a faux pas by Sega staff at a tradeshow though?

I did so enjoy Lunar, and Vay, and Popful Mail, and Dragon Force is the bomb. Ahh the joys of the full color manual and the trademark cheekiness.

Their idea of converting Xbox260 JRPG’s for Western audiences seems like a good idea, but how many are there going to be? It’s Xbox, in Japan.

I don’t really remember what happen but I remember that it seemed childess at the time.

I’ll have to play some of these old games. Dragon Force is a good choice. Maybe I’ll pop it in this afternoon (to quote Ron Jeremy).

could someone give us a fuller list of highlights from these guys?

I remember really enjoying Alundra for the PS1, which was a WD game.

Highlights:

[ul]Lunar (Sega CD)
Dragon Force (Saturn)
Iron Storm (Saturn)
RayStorm (PS)
Growlancer Generations (PS2)
[/ul]

Keep in mind that I don’t that includes one original property. Working Designs was primarily (only?) a localization company. They brought a lot of Japanese games that wouldn’t normally stand a chance here over to US shores.

I feel the same way. I remember a gun game they released for the ps1. There was a contest if you could find all the trophys hidden in each levle but I can’t remember the name.

I feel the same way. I remember a gun game they released for the ps1. There was a contest if you could find all the trophys hidden in each levle but I can’t remember the name.[/quote]

Elemental Gearbolt. Still gets my vote as best light gun game ever.

I don’t really remember what happen but I remember that it seemed childess at the time.[/quote]

Top 10+ App Game Tài Xỉu Uy Tín Trực Tuyến Nhiều Người Chơi Nhất (you’ll have to copy and paste the link, the forum software doesn’t like URLs with parentheses):

Due to a series of events and misunderstandings concerning scheduling and booth space that still raise the ire of the principals involved, Working Designs did not get the large area within Sega’s E3 booth that it had thought it was supposed to receive. Instead, it was relegated to a small space in the back corner where hardly anybody could find them. Victor Ireland, the president of Working Designs, had already developed a personal dislike for Sega of America president Bernie Stolar going back to the latter’s days with Sony due to his brusque manner and dismissal of “non-mainstream games” (i.e. RPGs) as largely unprofitable. He took personally the treatment his company received at E3, perceiving it to be a direct insult levied by Stolar himself, and promptly announced that Working Designs would no longer support any Sega platform so long as Stolar remained in Sega’s employ. Stolar remained unpreturbed, but Saturn RPG fans went berzerk at the news. While Working Designs was still committed to release the long-delayed RPG Magic Knight Rayearth for Saturn, it had abruptly cancelled its work on the Saturn port of Lunar Silver Star Story Complete even though the game was reportedly nearing completion. Instead, it was jumping ship into Sony’s camp as fast as it could and would release Lunar SSC for PlayStation instead.

I feel the same way. I remember a gun game they released for the ps1. There was a contest if you could find all the trophys hidden in each levle but I can’t remember the name.[/quote]

Elemental Gearbolt. Still gets my vote as best light gun game ever.[/quote]
slaps head that’s the name of it. Loved that game, I think I could only find 6 of the trophys so no grand prize for me:( Of course I only used the fire element.