World Cup 2018 in Russia - Live Match Commentary

That’s right. There are some matches where you can clearly see veteran defenders hold their hands behind their back when they’re defending in the box.

Yeah, in defense of that penalty (which could’ve gone either way) was that Perisic does two things:

1. His arm is out away from his body, and
  2. In the very last replay shown by the BBC, his hand/arm actually moves into the path of the ball, ever so slightly, but was the difference between contact and non-contact.

What’s the rule for tripping if they make contact with the ball?

Contact with the ball first, and then no deliberate attempt to hold up the man in possession. Other factors – going to ground or studs up – exacerbate the issue if one of the first two bits there aren’t apparent.

Intention absolutely matters - the FIFA rulebook uses the word “deliberate.”

"Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with
the ball with his hand or arm. "

Then there’s some additional notes for the referee, around movement of the hand and then… “the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)”.

To me that didn’t look deliberate and it did look like there was no time to react, (unexpected ball), but as soon as VAR calls a ref over to the screens the decision is always going to be the reverse of what was given on the field.

Some dangerous corners here for Croatia.

BBC’s FIFA expert called the penalty decision a good one, FWIW.

Why doesn’t a penalty count as a shot?

Let’s not forget that the first goal was scored after an incorretly given free kick. I really want to see retroactive cards for diving.

He’s deliberately got his arms out instead of by his side. Otherwise you just have every defender with their arms out all game.

Apparently this was the first own goal in a World Cup final. Seems appropriate in this WC when Own Goal has been so prolific.

Does Croatia have the reputation for playing a little more dirty than other teams?

BTW, it was Lloris’ excellent distribution to Mbappe and Vida frantically clearing across the touch line that caused the corner that caused the penalty.

Found on imgur.

In the studio at the half, Shearer, Klinsy and Rio Ferdinand take issue with the penalty–and the decision to give France the free kick that resulted in the first goal.

I don’t know about reputation. They have fouled more than other teams, it seems to me.

Not really. They do have a bunch of ferocious competitors, like Mandzukic who’ll push their own Gramma over to get a goal, but I don’t think of them as dirty.

And in this match, the two yellow cards belong to France.

My wife went to a restaurant with some friends to watch the game so she can get the complete French experience. I’m just watching it alone in our apartment. There are thousands of people watching it in the park around the block from my apartment.

An own goal and a dubious penalty is the best way for France to win. The get the cup and everyone else gets to say the weren’t that good.