World Cup 2018 - No Match Discussions

Just in case some folks are not aware of the guardian world cup daily pod. A good crew.

Wait a sec; Southgate is the manager of the English team. He stands on the sideline all game. Put the arm in a sling and stand there!

Its kind of an in joke after South Africa(?) when I believe a coach got injured and we fell apart after. But yeah , its all just generally funny. Barry Glendenning who plays in real life an Irish football fan who enjoys seeing England lose is particularly a great and funny guy.

Get knocked up, get free Burger King food! WIN WIN!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2782096-burger-king-sorry-for-food-offer-to-women-who-get-impregnated-by-world-cup-stars?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

How was there not a person at every level of that ad campaign not going “WTF???” every 5 minutes?

Russia I guess? Truly bizarre stuff.

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/20/621975266/in-the-stands-and-the-sidelines-the-world-comes-to-the-world-cup

Nice little roundup article on mostly off-the-pitch topics. I’d not seen the bit about the Japanese fans cleaning up the stands before.

Yep. I agree wholeheartedly with this. Even the bad ones.

I just got home.

Quick question for someone who saw today’s matches: Which match took place first today? The France Match or the Argentina match?

I’m 100% sure if I googled it, it will also show me the result, and I wanted to avoid spoilers. I’m just wondering which one to play first on Hulu. If I pick the wrong one, they usually talk about earlier matches during the match commentary.

France first, then Argentina.

Wow. Fox Sports getting the numbers they wanted, even without the US.

So the ratings are really good, but from another interpretation, a complete nightmare? I like that. Eye of the beholder.

Nah, the “complete nightmare” is Mike being sarcastic about all the doom and gloom, “Fox execs are likely jumping off buildings” stuff when the US was eliminated.

Full disclosure: Mike is the exec who put the FOX bid together for the World Cup and basically told the board that it didn’t matter whether the US was in or not, regarding ratings.

Unfortunately, it looks like spoiler-free matches are going to be much harder to come by now. Google has started giving me android-level notifications each time someone scores in the World Cup.

I’ve even gone into Google settings and turned off all Sports Updates, and but it hasn’t prevented further messages. Luckily I was watching this match live, but I can’t watch the other two. I guess I just need to not look at my android notifications for the rest of the day somehow.

Sorry man, that sucks, I have always hated that.

After two days of silence I have updated the standings. There are a couple of teams pullIng away from the pack, but there are also a couple of tight races. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1upheBSjU4W-yQajry_p6LBWX_2MGMupDDnx8oi7mbVU/htmlview

The stats include today’s games.

I’m gearing up for a huge comeback…beware!

Phear the swarm hive mind!

I think my best shot now is winning the random drawing after the swam wins our group :D

At this point, it’s time to stop rooting for rowe33 and Rock8man, and start rooting for Lantz. He is the underdog to the swarm and he is still in striking distance!