World Cup 2018 - No Match Discussions

So I’m going to run a World Cup pool, or two or three. This is going to be rambling so I apologize.

Teams will be put into 8 groups based on their FIFA rankings as of May 17, 2018. The top 4 ranked teams will be placed into group A and the next 4 highest ranked teams will be placed into group B and so on until group H has the four lowest ranked teams.

Each player will choose 1 team from Group A and 2 teams from each of the seven remaining groups for a total of 15 teams.

A player will receive 3 points for each win in regulation time (90 minutes) by a team they have chosen.

A player will receive 1 point for each draw by a team they have chosen. A game will only be considered a draw during the group rounds. Different rules apply during the knockout rounds.

A player will receive 2 points for each win by a team they have chosen that goes to extra time or penalty kicks.

A player will receive 1 point for each loss by a team they have chosen that goes to extra time or penalty kicks.

Groups:

Group A:
Germany
Brazil
Belgium
Portugal

Group B:
Argentina
Switzerland
France
Spain

Group C:
Poland
Peru
Denmark
England

Group D:
Tunisia
Mexico
Columbia
Uruguay

Group E:
Croatia
Iceland
Sweden
Costa Rica

Group F:
Senegal
Serbia
Iran
Australia

Group G:
Morocco
Egypt
Nigeria
Panama

Group H:
Japan
Korea Republic
Russia
Saudi Arabia

In the event that two or more teams are tied at the end of all the games, the following tiebreakers will be applied:

#1 The player with the highest positive goal differential.

#2 The player with the most goals scored.

#3 With your picks, choose the amount of goals that you think will be scored in the final game during regular time and extra time if needed (if the game goes to penalties, none of those goals will count). You will get 3 points for the correct total, 2 points for being 1 goal over or under and 1 point for being 2 goals over or under.

You have until just before kickoff of the first game, which is Russia (boo!) vs Saudi Arabia on June 14th. If you submit your picks early and want to make a change, feel free to do so, as long as it’s before kickoff of the first game. After that, all picks are locked in.

Entry Fee: There is no entry fee. It won’t cost you anything to play.

Prize: I’m willing to put up the equivalent of $60 in the Humble Store. I choose the Humble Store because they don’t seem to region lock their keys unlike what Steam does to me. If you aren’t a PC gamer (shame), and there is a console game on Amazon, let me know and I can buy that for you and have it shipped to you.

Due to how this pool is structured, you can’t have an unlimited amount of people in the game or you run the risk of having a bunch of duplicate picks which isn’t a lot of fun. So there is no more than 8 players to a pool. I am willing to run three of these pools.

Currently there are 10 people signed up to play right now. If there are another 14 people who would like to play, let me know and I’ll add you to the list. If we get a full 24 people, we will have three pools of 8 players, with each pool winner getting a prize. If there are more than 14 more people who want to play, I’m afraid you’ll be out of luck as paying our 4 prizes will be a little too expensive for me.

So far the folks who have currently signed up are:

#1 @Chappers
#2 @Lantz
#3 @Dave_Perkins
#4 @Clay
#5 @rowe33
#6 @ineffablebob
#7 @scottagibson
#8 @Thraeg
#9 @ArmandoPenblade
#10 @ChristienMurawski
#11 CraigM
#12 Triggercut
#13 Rock8man
#14 Dissensus
#15 Ex-SWoo
#16 ddtibbs
#17Madmarcus
#18 rho21
#19 BellaConfusione

Discourse won’t allow me to link more than 10 users in a post unfortunately.

When you think you have the winning picks, just PM me those picks and on the evening of the 14th, I’ll post everyone’s picks and poke fun at all of you. I’ll also post my picks but I won’t be in any of the pools. Every day that there are games, I’ll post the updated standings for the pools.

I think that’s about everything. I a sure I’ve forgotten something though so feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for running this!

I’ll enter our Swarm picks, but they’re under NDA until the media partner who contracted with us publishes.

If for some reason we win, I’ll do a Qt3 drawing for the prize.

USA! USA! USA!

With the USA out, at least I can happily cheer on my favorite European team, the Dutch!

Oh.

Well, I’ll cheer on the Italians then.

Oh.

Go Belgium!

@CraigM and @triggercut and @Rock8man are now in. That gives us 13 players so far. I’ll update the list. As it stands right now we would have one group of 7 teams and one group of 6 teams. @Dissensus is in as well. Ex-SWoo and ddtibbs are also in.

I’m in.

This should be awesome, thanks for running it @marquac!

We just drew even with France today! France is one of those upstart young teams that could win the cup! We’re totally in this thing!!! We can win!

Who is we

Giroud with an ugly-looking head injury in that match. Hopefully he’ll be good to go (with some stitches) when France has their first group match.

I’d like to join as well. With Madmarcus that’s two groups of eight.

I’m very happy that we have 16 players. If there are more, we will have a third pool and I’ll split the players equally across the three pools. I’m going to generally place people in pools on the order they joined. I’ll only switch someone out of a pool if there are identical picks by two or more players in a pool.

Just a reminder, you have until kickoff on the 14th to submit your picks, and if you submit early and want to make a change before kickoff on the 14th, feel free to do so.

BTW, if you find yourself on Thursday morning wanting to take a deep dive on some World Cup action, we’re doing a swarm to cover the 10 group stage games to be played Friday through Sunday. Sadly, we’re inviting a couple of VIPs in who want to participate in a World Cup swarm, so we have to do it during office hours in Austria, which is 10 am, EDT Thursday.

Still it should be fun, we’ll be offering Amazon gift card prizes for best individual predictions, and it typically takes about 25 minutes start-to-finish.

Maybe I’m too tired or not paying attention, but how/where do we submit our picks?

You send them to marquac.

That is correct.

My brain read that in Michael Fassbender’s voice.

-xtien

And we have what, 8 more qualification cycles to go before we get to World Cup 2022?