World Cup 2018 - US Not Invited

I had to hold in my yell of happiness as I was on a bus when the SEVEN extra minutes were finally over. I would think that Germany, Brazil, and France are all pretty happy with that result.

Wow. That is crazy. The Italians can join us Americans in the bars lamenting what could’ve been.

US, Italy, Chile and Holland all out of the 2018 World Cup.

Crazy.

Republic of Ireland scored the first goal in their second leg game against Denmark and then allowed five straight goals to lose 5 - 1 on aggregate.

I know that I’m supposed to root for the underdogs, but c’mon. Christian Eriksen hat trick!!!

And a natural hat trick to boot.

Has Qt3 ever run a World Cup pool?

Dunno. When does the Cup start?

June 14.

Groups are set!

Looks like easy cruising for Brazil and Argentina. Group B though.

Interesting:
GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia
GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco
GROUP C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia
GROUP D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria
GROUP E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia
GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea
GROUP G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama
GROUP H: Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan

Top two in each group get through to knockoff rounds.

My take: easy groups are Group A, B, G, H. Group C,D,E,F will have a tougher time.

Easiest should be group G. Tunisia and Panama? Do they stand any chance Or how about Group A? Egypt and Saudi Arabia? No way. Same with Iran and Morocco in Group B. Group H is the only borderline one in my easy picks, since Poland and Japan might surprise me, and I have no idea how strong Senegal and Colombia are these days. They used to be strong in the past, but I have no idea now.

No clear Group of Death this time where you look at four strong teams in one group. Maybe Group F? South Korea is always surprisingly spunky and strong. Germany is always strong. Mexico can surprise you sometimes. And I have no idea how strong Sweden is now, but they’ve had good teams in the past, I think.

Or maybe Group D. Argentina and Nigeria are usually strong. Iceland showed in the Euro championship that they can be strong, and Croatia used to be pretty badass.

Never underestimate England’s ability to dissapoint in the Group Stage. Sure, they advance, but they never look good doing so.

Like Rock8man, I’m not up to date on the form of most of the 3rd- and 4th-pot countries. But from my ignorant point of view, this looks to be about as balanced a draw as any in recent cups. That would be good for the knockout rounds, at the cost of relatively little interest or drama in the group stages.