World of starcraft

Actually, it could be an MMO-RTS of some sort. The article doesn’t say that this is going to be an RPG.

-Julian

Grab a pitchfork and a torch! I’ll guide the march on Blizzard!

(I think the news is bogus)

I would be shocked if they create another MMO, set anywhere, before new ‘regular’ versions of Diablo and Starcraft.

I guess we’ll find out May 19th if the news is bogus or not, since the article claims that’s the date of the official announcement.

My thoughts exactly. I am shocked they’re doing another MMORG unless they plan on dialing down support for WoW. I thought for sure they’d do an rts…

What, nobody wants to play a Zergling?

What would be interesting is if they do something similar to City of Heroes/Villains.Where $15 a month lets you play both games at the same time.

Not unless you can change into other things… :)

Same here.

I can’t imagine they’d actually make a MMORTS. Blizzard doesn’t innovate, they polish, and there are no successful examples for them to copy. My guess is that it actually is Starcraft 2, with raph’s “persistent online elements” hooked in somehow.

People, people, relax. There’s still plenty of time for this game to get cancelled.

I actually wonder if StarCraft: Ghost’s cancellation is related to this.

You can already do that in DAOC.

I’d call this news bogus or hope it’s a Planetside/DAOC combo. They will probably go for a more PvP-focused MMO than WoW, and not necessarily an RPG - although perhaps they will do an interesting blend, where it’s on the line between “squad-based RPG” and “small-scale RTS”. There’s a lot of room in there between DAOC, WoW, Planetside, and Shattered Galaxy, and a WoS could fit anywhere in there.

Seems like if they made another MMO they’d just be directly competing with themselves, which makes no sense. A majority of Blizzard fans enjoy both games and would end up having to decide upon one game or the other. These games really don’t lend themselves well to casual play. I admit WoW is probably the most casual-friendly MMO but still requires a lot of a players time.

I still think it’ll be Starcraft 2. I’d prefer Diablo 3 personally.

Unless they have the resources to produce both a new RTS and an MMO game at the same time, I’d find it hard to think they are not doing another MMO. Not only do they get the monthly revenue, they can crank out expansions for it faster than they can do sequels.

And if you look at the way Korea has supported both Starcraft and Lineage, a Starcraft MMO in Korea might do several million subs alone. Plus I’d also think any new MMO will be console-friendly as well. They won’t build it so it’s limited to the PC market.

Blizzard probably needs to double in size to capitalize on all their opportunities. They need teams doing single player games for all three of their franchises, and teams doing MMOs for all three too.

If they let you play both for $20/month, they’ve just bumped up their monthly revenue by $5 per account for maybe 2-4M accounts. Don’t forget the boxed sale revenue also.

The alternative is too watch WoW players get bored and leave for other MMOs? Might as well let them leave for Starcraft Universe or whatever it will be called.

I had this idea a couple of days ago… a Planetside/StarCraft mix.

Have multiple planets in the galaxy (actually this could be just one or two solar systems to make for a smaller more realistic feel). The round ends/resets when all planets are conquered by the Zerg/Terran/Protoss. Split up each planet into territories.

A planetary invasion can start by having an invasion force go to the planet and conquer at least one territory there, with minimum requirements for setting up a beachead, which would basically be the makeshift HQ.

After the HQ is built, allow things there to be built and invasions on other territories to be launched.

An invasion would consist of getting many players to go to the enemy territory, and conquer all the flags there or some such. The initial invasion force would be able to use all of the favorite units from StarCraft like tanks, ships, etc (think Battlefield). Either the defenders fight off the invasion successfully (hold them off for a couple of hours until reinforcements get there I guess?).

Now the key is after the territory is invaded, it takes a “long time” to bring in any heavy units like tanks/battleships/fighter squadrons. Instead, most things would be built in the territory like in a StarCraft game. When the territory would be captured, SVCs/probes would be sent out to mine, build buildings, etc. Buildings would make non-player units (I guess some dumb NPC guards and vehicles). Players would then be able to control the vehicles. The base building could be controlled by the initial guild (and they could give it over to someone else when everyone from the guild logs off I suppose).

Now the base building would be mildly important, but only to the most hardcore, since regular players would still be able to do everything like run get into vehicles and run around fighting other players. Clearly, since vehicles would need to be built, they wouldn’t just respawn themselves, and eventually an invasion force could take over a territory by destroying all of the enemy’s local production facilities.

To make it interesting, when players die during a battle they can respawn at their local base right away and rejoin the fight, but if they spawn in another territory it should take them some significant time to hop into a vehicle and come back to the fight (so as to dissuage the entire defending force respawning in their HQ and grabbing a bunch of heavy vehicles).

Hey, if anyone can do it, Blizzard can.

So basically WoW 2.

Yeah, I just don’t imagine them NOT making WoW 2. I’d be surprised if the graphics are upped to match the way Starcraft looks, because it definitely would cost them a number of the players they already have in WoW.

Was that a joke?

I’d find it hard to think they are not doing another MMO. Not only do they get the monthly revenue, they can crank out expansions for it faster than they can do sequels.

The question is when, not if. I suspect that it’s too soon, but since I’d love to see a Starcraft MMO, I’d be happy to be proven wrong.

And if you look at the way Korea has supported both Starcraft and Lineage, a Starcraft MMO in Korea might do several million subs alone. Plus I’d also think any new MMO will be console-friendly as well. They won’t build it so it’s limited to the PC market.

Didn’t Blizzard recently say that they have no interest in developing games for any platform other than the PC?

But they’d be unlikely to, because it would be designed to fail. A big part of the reason Planetside failed is because it had no solo component. WoW having good solo is a large factor in its success.

The previous SC2 announced thread, before it got trolled to oblivion, already covered a lot of this ground.

The RTS market really is wide open, for sure. WoW seems on the downturn to me in terms of content, age, and interest, and the field is ripe to begin ramping up to a new MMO.

It’d better have multiple planets and interplanetary space travel. And it better be called Starcraft Universe, for obvious reasons.