World Of Tanks

And you do get a gold income from CW.

…only if you A) win, and B) hold your territory. It takes a fairly large group of dedicated players to do that, as you need fifteen people per territory per night. Now, if you are the territory owner, you only have one fight to retain the territory, but most aggressive clans will be throwing chips at multiple territories you own, and often you have to decide which battles to skip and which to fight. Big clans with lots of people and resources have an easier time doing this; small clans don’t. So, the gold income from CW is skewed towards those that already are successful. The inertia is strong, and it’s very hard to upset the status quo.

My clan has taken up to four or so territories simultaneously, only to lose them all in a week or less as we simply could not field a strong team for every territory, every night. There are a lot of clans in this situation, or worse, and you can see by the map that there are a relatively small number of humongous clans that earn a lot of gold each day, and hold most of the territories.

So, yeah, you get gold, but for small clans it’s like a few dozen here and there. For big clans, they can disburse hundreds or more to their A team, and a lot to their B and C teams too. Keeping in mind as well that clan battles are with top-tier tanks and if you lose a battle it’s expensive, the whole thing skews the system towards those that are already winning.

Maybe that’s perfectly fine, as it does reward success, even if success is defined as much by size as by skill (though a large group of idiots probably wouldn’t do well). But it does make it frustrating for small clans to do much. Even if you aim small, you find it very hard to hold anything, as all the small clans fight over the landing zones and adjacent areas, and the big clans never let you get out of the beachhead if you get one. And holding a few beachhead and adjacent territories will not net you enough gold to do much.

I’ve really enjoyed the game but the more I play it, the more the cost turns me off. There’s nothing here that warrants a pay-per-month cost structure, I wouldve happily paid $50 retail for this(and I’ve probably spent >$100), and then extra for vanity items/special tanks, but the ongoing gouging is becoming blatant.

Ya, I can play for free (and I do now), but the grind is tedious, and even after the grind it’s still difficult to afford the higher tier tanks(which dont make any money anyways). Then you get into the aspect where the playing field isnt level - people with thousands of tank battles have crews which give them substantial qualitative edges…I seem to experience some sort of critical hit about every other shot now.

Finally, I’ve always taken a negative view about ‘nerfing’ in any kind of persistent world. My issue is that, as a player, i make a decision to play towards a goal in the game(and hopefully enjoy the process). When they take away the carrot I have(or have been working towards), replace it with a turnip, and then place the carrot further away - that’s a big issue to me. To be honest, I’m surprised there isn’t more anger about this - maybe people havent thought about it in that way. In a nutshell ‘Thanks, you just wasted my time’.

I’m in agreement and probably won’t play this game for a long time, if ever. I don’t mind the ahistoric tanks but when they so freely move vehicle’s stats up and down you start to feel that you are not driving anything related to history but instead a moving set of numbers that can be around at the designer’s whim, and usually to force you to get the latest shiny thing.

In, regards to tier 8, no, I didn’t mean the latest patch in particular. What I described happened over the last 4 or so patches. I have about 550 fights in my Ferdinand and about 490 in my Type and believe me I see these 2 have changed for the worse A LOT lately. Can’t tell anything for other tanks as I don’t drive them anymore but I suspect it’s the same. Maybe I am wrong. Although some of the changes I am talking about are not even tanks specific - the suck for all tanks, like the stupid side screens and the HE nerf.

Yes, exactly, you voiced my point better than I did. :) it sucks to see stats up and down, mostly down though, especially on your favorite tanks.

As far as the Marder II is concerned. I played a few rounds in it. I usually got two or three kills, and capped once. So my only real issue with it now is that tanks are popping in and out of view a lot. It’s the range thing. And the fact that I have to move a lot more. I die every game now, though. So far at least.

OTOH I’m really liking my IS more. I got hit a crapload of times in my last game. Got Steel Wall. So trade offs.

Marder II? Did someone mention the Marder II?

And that wasn’t even with the best gun - the XP from this match actually let me buy it. :)

Still digging it. Not feeling the changes hugely, tbh, but I’m not a particularly hardcore player. I just like the tanks, yes I do. :)

Awesome job Marcin!

I find the game can be fun to play in the mid-tiers without that much concern for the need for premium or credits. Really the only reason for premium in the mid-tiers is unlocking the tanks in the first place, also getting more xp for better crews is always a nice bonus.

Yeah, I’ve pretty much hit the wall and downed tools on grinding, with a fair swag of Tier 7 tanks (t-20, jagdpanther, Tiger, IS, KV-3, T-29, T25 AT, VK 3002(DB) and AMX 13 75). Unlocked but not bought Panther, KV-13 and T-43, as well as Tier 8 Tiger II. Also have a Type 59 premium.

I feel pretty done for now. Playing a handful of matches every now and then, but have utterly no desire to push into the huge grind it would be to lift much of anything into Tier 8. Theoretically I could get a Tiger II, but of course it starts out crap and meantime my Tiger I is pretty fun still. I’m pretty much hovering at 4.6 million silver, occasional loss offset by a decent win every now and then.

The Super Pershing does look pretty awesome though :-)

So I am not going to delete or anything, but I don’t see them getting any more cash from me.

odd how you guys are all falling out of love with the game. hasnt happened for me yet. I dont really mind the tier X shenannigans, been a random match player forever, and havent really ground on anything for like six months or so.

i have about 40 tanks in my garage, from tier 3 to 10. i pick one, play it. pick another like it if it went well, or something entirely different if it didnt. keeps it fresh and fun.

nothing unwinds me after work like driving an IS-3 through someones’ house and laying waste to a lorraine 40t ;-)

IS-3 is an awesome tank.

So tough with speed and a good gun. Great tank.

You’re playing the game the way it probably should be played. Unfortunately, I have a hard time just playing without progressing–and I have a hard time shaking the feeling that the “real” game is Clan Wars, and everything else is just a lead-in. That’s incorrect, I think, and counter-productive, but years of traditional MMO indoctrination (thou shallt RAID!) are hard to overcome. When I let myself simply enjoy the battles for what they are, I have fun, but then the metagame stuff starts to grind me down.

I think my solution may well be to just play for fun, use my Tier Xs for our off and on CW battles, and maybe even let premium lapse, and rely on my few premium tanks to keep me above water.

Yeah, forget about CW. Its not that interesting anyway. I don’t know anyone who really enjoys it much.

I enjoy the concept, not the reality, I guess. In theory, it’s cool. But it’s never really evolved into the dynamic, Risk-like metagame it seemed it might become. Instead, it’s a semi-static gold generator for large clans. The battles often become pretty formulaic as well.

So why do I care? I guess it’s because the game is structured in such a way that there is a progression–the main reason to get to the top tanks is to use them in CW, and because using them in random matches is often cost-prohibitive, if you take away CW you take away the incentive (beyond just having the tanks) of progressing to the end. If there were fundamental tactical differences between top tier and lower tier tanks, it might be interesting, but as it is, you do about the same things with high tier vehicles as you do with low tier vehicles, and the matchmaker improvements are making it even more likely that at whatever level you are playing, you’re going to be facing comparable foes. So really, there’s nothing at all more fun about T110 vs. IS-4 than about Tiger vs. M6 or whatever, or between E-50 vs Patton and T-34-85 vs Easy 8.

Wombat, this is definitely a difference in mindset. For me the incentive to get the top (tier 9 mediums) was so I could play them, because they’re fun to run in random battles (all I ever did). They had such a jump in capability from tier 8 that you felt like a god amongst mere mortals (well, once you had it fully upgraded, that is). I kept playing these tier 9 mediums long after I had them elite, for hundreds of battles. Clan Wars may as well not have existed for me, as I was not interested in that level of commitment and organization.

The new tier 10 mediums look very intriguing, as they seem to have that same jump in power yet again. But I’m in the midst of an extended break from the game (again) since there is a deluge of other games to try, and too little time to do so.

It’s really tempting to come back and try out my new tier 10 Batchat, though. It was so nice of Wargaming to basically gift me over 3 million credits (old Bat was worth 3m, new one is 6m). Funny enough, it’s also the first ever tier 10 tank in my possession, mainly because no tier 10 TDs or Mediums existed before, and I wasn’t interested in the heavy tanks.

The only exception was the French heavies, I unlocked the AMX 50B, but there did not seem to be any reason to move on to it from the AMX50-120. Slight upgrade in features, massive downgrade in side armor (arty bait more than even before) for much worse matchmaking? No thanks. Very disappointing that there was no improvement to these in the last patch. These new tier 10 mediums (especially the Bat) have made the AMX50B into a cruel joke on its owners.

I ground out the Tier IX mediums (well, not the French one when it was Tier IX) for the same reason. Then I found out that they lost money for me nearly every match, and usually got plastered by Tier X heavies. They are fun, that is true, but running a Patton or a T-54 usually drains my silver dramatically. And when I got them no one used them in CW. Now, mediums are used in Clan battles, but only Tier Xs.

I confess though that I’m usually one who has to have a carrot of advancement in front of me, so that’s been my bane.

Oh me too, but years of playing eve-o have taught me to set my goals myself, not to expect o have them set for me. In WoT, my goal is to have every vehicle in the game that even mildly interests me. Its a goal that is not very urgent, so i dont feel compelled to manicly grind my T-44 because i’m interested in the T-54.

I do get stumped at tier 8 though, in that there’s little visible progression evident towards the nines. But somehow an E-75, an IS-4 and -8 and the lorry 40t enden up in my garage. Daily fun runs beget even top tier monsters in due time.

Speaking of the lorry, i hate hate hate that tank. what a piece of crap after the delightfull amx 13 series. Its big and vulnerable instead of quick and nimble and fast. Im so glad i kept the funnest of that series around (the 13-75)

Well, my tier 9s (Patton, Bat, E-50, T-54) all usually made money in random matches, but I played them most of the time with premium. When I was off premium I used my Hellcat and T-20 to compensate for bad games in the tier 9s which lost me money. But I do understand how that would get old after a while, being forced to play tier 5-7 money earners.

Wow, very surprised to hear that reaction. It was one of my favorite tanks. Its size is the only standout weakness it has (not like other French mediums have any armor either). It was very, very fast and maneuverable with the final engine. I was constantly amazed at how well it climbed hills. Unlike the Bat it also had real amounts of ammo for its 100mm gun (it pisses me off that the new 105mm on the Bat still only carries 30 rounds). And that gun, at tier 8, is better than tier 8 heavies get! I actually found myself coming to the conclusion that the Lorraine was a bit overpowered, compared to the other tier 8 mediums.

I don’t know how it is now at tier 9, though.

But hey, to each their own. I liked the Lorraine with the 100mm far more than the AMX-13/90 and its 90mm with only 36 rounds - low ammo counts rub me the wrong way - and inability to mount a vertical stabilizer/gun laying drive combo. And I couldn’t wait to get out of the AMX-13/75, with that peashooter gun. I can’t believe they expect people to now use that tank as a tier 8 … shakes head

Anyone know how the JadgPanther II compares to the Ferdi?

Yeah true thats a wild overestimation. I just get the impression that when I am done for the night I have made plenty of credits.