World Of Tanks

The AMX 13’s are so small and nimble that people tend to miss you. i never live long enough to shoot more than two clips, three at most.

I tend to drive these things very agressively, darting into a bunch of engaged tanks and running around with my hair on fire, either disrupting the sniper fire and allowing my team to win, laying utter waste to the fuckers myself or, more often, dying horribly before anything happens.

The Super Pershing looks like a lot of fun. But I’m not ready to spend, what, $30.00 on it? More really because you’d have to buy $37.00 worth of gold. A bit steep for a Tier V.

Isn’t it a Tier VIII just like the Type 59 and the regular Pershing?

My mistake. It is indeed a Tier VIII Medium. At 7200 Gold. Sorry about the confusion. I was taking my info from a forum post that I searched for. My bad. I still can’t afford it. ;-)

Sorry for double post.

Just had one of those streaks where I could do no wrong. And I forgot to buy premium!

Five wins in a row. Culminating with a game where I was in the Marder and low in MM. So we end up maybe 5 kills behind. So I start to spot. And while spotting kill two Hetzers that thought they were safe cresting a hill and showing me their bottoms. ;-)

Got 3 kills 5 damages and 65% cap.

In a fucking Marder in the low 1/3 of the MM.

I still love this game.

Edit: I think some of the issues that people have with WOT is that they focus on the grind to higher tier tanks. Although I love my ISU-152. I prefer to play my Marder, PzII and PzIII. They get better MM and when you get back into the lower tiers you meet newer players that you can “teach” how to play their tanks.

For me the game isn’t the high tier tanks. Although I’m loving my IS as well. ;-)

It’s playing the game. I saw some guy’s sig on the forum. It said: I’m padding my stats on a LOLtraktor. It’s the WonderBra of WOT.

Take that to heart. Play tier 2 thru 4 and have fun.

I agree that playing the lower tiers is just as or more fun than higher tiers, but playing tier 4 light tanks is the one point where I felt like the game gets just aggressively awful. So bad that I feel the need to point it out in this post. Because you are a light tank you are supposedly designed to be a scout, and so you are given horrible matchmaking and put into games with up to tier 8 tanks you literally cannot hurt (unless they are French). The problem with this is that tier 4 tanks are mostly slower and have worse radios than any higher tier tanks and thus are utterly useless for any and all purposes other than suicide scouting. Even with the new matchmaking I still see this happen regularly. The epically terrible M3 Lee and Somua are also tier 4 tanks.

Tiers 2 and 3 are silly fun and tiers 5 and 6 are where the different types of tanks start solidifying into the higher tier gameplay while not being super grindy money losers. Tier 6 is also the home of the Russian KV-2 Derp, the most hilarious of all guns in the game. Really if you want to have a goal in this game it should be to get the Derp. And then to kill a Lorraine in one shot.

Yeah, Tier IV lights are awful… I’ve had terrible experiences with both the German and American variants. At least it was a short grind.

Started up again after a break. Definitely really love the gameplay, whether at level 6 or at level 9. I seem to recall I stopped last time because I concluded it was overly addictive and boy does it threaten to just completely suck me in again. I’ve played 44 matches in the last 3 days!

I’ve noticed that the defend missions seem heavily biased towards the defense. I think the defense has won at least 80% of the matches I’ve seen. Is this something the rest of you have seen as well, or perhaps a bias just occurring in my small-size sample?

In theory, assault should win every time because they can choose the axis of attack, concentrate on it, while the defenders must spread the defense. In practice, my experience is that it plays out like regular play, but defense is generally able to capitalize on the benefits given to stationary play (ie camo and view distance)

The odd thing is that if you get a lemming train in assault, and the train keeps moving, the attackers win. but oddly encounter (regular) has taught many to make at least two pronged attacks, so that happens often on assault as well. and fails.

On the defending side, counterattacking agressively once contact is made has netted me some awesome matches. In fact, if the attacking side concentrates forces, it is often the only way to rescue the match.

Tanks are essentially offensive weapons. Even TD’s. Shoot, move, shoot. Not shoot, sit shoot, sit.

I’ve probably played the Prokhorovka map on assault 5 times in the last three days. The assaulting team only won once, and our team was really a bunch of idiots that match. Our E-75 backed over the railroad track and turned his rear to the enemy – not really sure wtf he was doing, maybe he thought the match was going badly and decided to commit suicide. It was really pathetic.

That map just seems very hard to assault on.

Yeah, Assault requires concentration and coordination, which are hard to achieve in public matches. Someone invariably makes the intelligent suggestion to all focus on one axis of advance (edit: on Prok, not necessarily elsewhere), and someone else invariably swears at him about not telling him what to do and promptly goes off and dies in the opposite direction.

In my experience, assault on Prokhorovka almost always loses, defense on Malinovka almost always loses and assault has a slight advantage in Karelia and Elenberg, maybe 60/40.

The thing is these maps play very differently while in Assault mode. While I completely disagree on “focus on one axis of advance 100%” kind of tactics, Prokhorovka is where it’s the only way to win for the assault team, providing that the the other 2 railroad crossings are not left completely empty.

One pronged attack on Malinovka is a suicide, the same applies to Elenberg and to a certain extend to Karelia (if the defending team has a sizeable bunch of medium tanks in Karelia, you gotta control both flanks or you will lose your arty real fast and the rest of your team will be surrounded and pinned down).

The key for the defending team is not to sit in one place defending the flag. You certainly don’t want half of your team to wander off but you better have about 3 mediums and 1 fast heavy trying to flank the enemy using their weaker flank (church on Malinovka, castle on Elenberg and the left hill on Karelia). The key is to recognize when that flank is not that weak and retreat because stupidly charging the 5+ enemy tanks will be the end of the flanking group and shortly after - the rest of the team.

And arty is the key even more than usually. If your team doesn’t have good arty and good scouts it’s going to be much more difficult to win as an assault team. Arty and scouts is the number one reason why sitting ducks defense teams usually lose.

The new match maker has made the game a lot more enjoyable in the mid-tiers. I’ve had an awful lot of games with tanks just in the IV and V range or IV-VI range.

Not sure if they changed something on the high end, but the number of artillery in high end matches is getting out of hand. I’ve had several games with 5 and even 6 artillery per side.

I like the new maps from what I’ve seen of them. I’ve seen Highway probably a good 4-5 times, Widepark maybe 3 times, and Seaport was fun the one time I played it.

Did they take out a whole bunch of maps? I’ve probably played a good 70 matches since the update and haven’t seen Airfield, Fisherman’s Bay, Steppes, or Dragon Ridge. On the other hand I have literally played Prokhorovka 5 times in Assault (fortunately all on defense!) since the update. Although I guess there are so many maps now, that not seeing one of them in 70 matches isn’t that much of a stretch.

This has been my experience as well. The defenders have great positions on their side of the train tracks on Prok, and in Campinovka the defenders have pretty much no good cover anywhere. It seems like a bunch of other maps have disappeared, and yet somehow Campinovka is the shittiest map in the entire game and constantly shows up in both assault and standard battles.

In the encounter side of things I love how there’s always someone pinging the opposite side of the map from the capture point and everyone loves to either charge the enemy spawn or camp in their own spawn waiting for the enemy. I especially love when someone pings frantically on the magic forest in that map and says “CONTROL THE FOREST CONTROL THE MAP!” No you retard, the capture point is on the other side of the map and if you’re in the magic forest you physically can’t even shoot past the city, let alone at the point. 90% of the encounter games I play on that map are decided by which team has less morons camping their spawn and the forest and just heads to the hills around the point. My favorite battle on the magic forest map is one KV-2 on our team screaming to control the forest and running into it and dying instantly, while the entire rest of our team just turned and went straight to the point. Enough of the enemy team was in the forest that I only got to fire a single time before we won a capture victory.

In pub encounters the person who wins the flank wins 98% of the time or so. Rushing the cap never works. The side that sends a few to spot it for arty/break caps while they crush the flank wins everytime. The cap is too slow for anything else and the area around the cap is terrible for fighting. So you win the flank and then push over and crush the cappers/defenders. Works pretty much every time. I’ve seen ONE case where rushing the cap worked and it only worked because they sent a sizable force and the defenders tried to face them head on. Oh and they had 6 guys in one clan together on one team.

I’ve beaten cap rushes by myself in a light tank. I parked in a bush and lit the circle while arty fired at will and they all died.

That SOUNDS all very nice, but here are some problems I regularly encounter:

It is not a cap rush if you can beat it by yourself in a light tank, probably because it is not a cap rush if half your team is wandering around in the middle of the map.

Similarly it is not a flanking action if you goddamn retards are sitting still and camping where you spawned HRRRRRRRRRRGNGNGGN.

If the whole enemy team DOES do a proper cap rush and kills off the few people who were defending, continuing to run off to the other side of the map where no one is while they capture the point is not sound tactics. I have seriously lost a significant number of matches because all the higher tier tanks on our team do this.

Argh! I am struggling with the JagdPz E-100. I seem to be only useful as a mobile artillery piece and have found AP shells to be almost useless. Had so many bounces. I decided to switch to HE exclusively and am performing slightly better now. Currently sitting at 26 battles with 11 victories. My best battles were teaming up with a Maus or an E-100. When I have the credits I think I will switch to the T110E4 which seems to be a far more versatile TD.

They may have tightened up the MM. And the Marder may very well still murder. But I’m still looking for the mod that fixes the stupidity of pub matches.

All you have to do is spot the cap and arty can usually keep them from succeeding. If the whole team rushes then your flanking force will be on their ass in short order anyway.

Winning the flank wins nearly every damned time. The caps take too long and are too open to be protected. If theres no arty it can work, but that almost never happens. Even then the flanking move usually wins because the other team envelops the capping team from superior defensive positions and it becomes a shooting gallery. And I’ve never seen anyone camp at the spawn on a flanking action.