World Of Tanks

I’ve lost Himmelsdorf and Ruinberg on encounter battles winning the flank but not getting to the cap fast enough.

+1

The key to the flanking tactic is that the flag defending portion of your team has to be defending really conservatively. If they are stupid enough to play like they are attacking the flag (while being outnumbered), they will quickly die and the enemy will cap before the flanking force has time to circle around.

[edit] The above actually applies to all modes, not only Encounter. That’s the number one reason Random drives me mad sometimes, when people fail to realize they are outnumbered on their flank and continue attacking when a solid defense would win the game. Just count the freaking red and green dots on the map, it’s not that hard! :)

Its not hard, but its one of the reason the game can be both incredibly frustrating and supremely satisfying.

There’s nothing like fighting a spirited roadblock defence and holding up the enemy lemmingtrain long enough for yours to reach its goal. Likewise, sprinting across the map and poking holes in the rear of an attack, to see it come apart at the seams is what makes the game worth playing and paying for.

On the other hand, too often you fight your fucking ass off, pulling off incredible feats of marksmanship, bravery and tactical genius only to see your other flank being pulverized by going in one after the other or completely stopping because of a single defender.

Its the price of having variation. shit’s gotta suck for shit to shine. (put that on a t-shirt bro!)

in other news: 8.0 teaser for your drooling pleasure :D

It sounds like you are playing a game with a lot more artillery and a lot less idiots.

If there is one thing this game is not lacking, it would be arty. And idiots. :)

Idiots on arty basically. :)

A day late but it still works go to account management and enter code HAPPYTANKSDAY for some “free food” and premium time.

I tried this yesterday, it timed out, and then they retroactively applied it to my account this morning. Now, of course, I can’t play - missed out on all that extra XP! :(

Haha! Its just a matter of with even just 2 arty a single driveby spotting on the cap can knock out 2 minutes of capping pretty easily.

Obviously it depends on the map, the city maps require a little more defense on the flag, but not as much as you’d think. I mean you really only have to pop out and shoot a track or two every minute at most to make capping hopeless.

I just lost two encounter games in a row because all but two or three of our team did GLORIOUS FLANK OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE MAP MANEUVER while the enemy team went to the cap point and set up proper defense. LOST TO THEM COMPLETING THE CAP WHILE THE MAJORITY OF BOTH TEAMS WERE STILL ALIVE.

Ya, what this game needs is lens flare…

And tanks that bounce around like speed buggies, I’ve always said that.

also new sound and the abilty to push someone off a ridge. i’m eatin it up, but then i dont consider it shit :P

If they really wanted to do physics, it’d be great if for instance heavy tanks sank into soft ground, barrels hit walls and rocks, and bridges collapsed under the weight of these behemoths. But no, we’ll get Motocross Madness instead…

Yay physics!

I somehow suspect they’ll overdo it at first and then tone it down in a later patch. :)

Sounds are awesome too.

physics open beta is open. its far more subdued than you’d think. no helium-filled flying tanks, but proper heaviness. also bloom. lots of it lol. new renderer is mighty fast tho, 30fps without a dip on my rig.

It appears they’re doing more e-sports tanking, in Russia. RPS is covering it (part 1, part 2). Key quote:

Before my trip I took the time to learn the Russian for numbers one, two, three, four and five, along with the word “koshka” which means “cat”. It’s probably indicative of my trip that the only extra things I will have learned by the time I leave are the phrases “fuck yes!”, “go fuck yourself” and “sorry”. But right now the sum of my usefulness in this city remains the ability to walk into a shop and demand anything ranging from one to five felines.

Newest version is much closer to release now, might even be this week. less bloom, lots of boom :D

I didnt really like the RPS coverage of this WoT event and the one they covered earlier in england. The guy obviously doesnt really give a shit. so what the fuck. still a funny and entertaining piece to read though.

I still cant stop playing this game. Goes real well with talk radio and podcasts (WoT made me a loyal qt3 podcast follower). I finally graduated my russian medium line to the tier9 T-54. What a beast, even stock.

I’ve been immersed in Guild Wars 2 and Borderlands 2, so haven’t done much tanking lately. Really sort of waiting for 8.0. I played some on test and really like the changes, so I’ll probably go back to playing more for a while when it comes out. But once again, my clan is not really doing CW any more, at least not regularly, so all those expensive high tier tanks I have are just gathering dust, as it’s prohibitively expensive to run them in public matches.

I can’t believe they haven’t done anything to mitigate how truly awful assault mode is.

Except allowing people to opt out, which won’t really help much for those of us who like the idea of different game modes if not always the implementation. One problem with Assaults I think is that they are simplistic–let’s keep the exact same random force mixes of Standard battles but put one side in a much stronger position–and they also seem like an afterthought. No attempt was made to set them up to provide an interesting challenge for both sides, either through asymmetrical numbers, controlling SPG and TD allotments, or anything else except lowering the time of the battle.

I really think well-considered assault scenarios, where you would put TDs and maybe fewer tanks on the defense and more arty and more tanks maybe on the attack, might be pretty fun.