World Of Tanks

opting out is in 8.0?

The game mode needs asymmetric teams to match the symmetric objectives. 13 defenders vs 17 attackers, or 12 vs 18. Especially because the rounds are 9 minutes instead of 15, which makes you more rushed.

Or if they want 15 vs 15 have the attackers average a tier or half tier higher.

I’d been out of this game for a few months, mostly playing MWO beta, but I’ve kind of given up on MWO and came back to WoT to play in back to back attacker-side assault missions on Karelia. It’s maddeningly dumb. The defenders can only lose through extreme incompetence.

opting out is in 8.0?

The game mode needs asymmetric teams to match the asymmetric objectives. 13 defenders vs 17 attackers, or 12 vs 18. Especially because the rounds are 9 minutes instead of 15, which makes you more rushed.

Or if they want 15 vs 15 have the attackers average a tier or half tier higher.

I’d been out of this game for a few months, mostly playing MWO beta, but I’ve kind of given up on MWO and came back to WoT to play in back to back attacker-side assault missions on Karelia. It’s maddeningly dumb. The defenders can only lose through extreme incompetence.

Sadly this is the norm rather than the exception. The devs are incredibly annoyed by the fact that the tactically more challenging game modes fail because of the dumb lemming nature of random players. They were so sad to find out we’re, on the whole, just too dumb for anything but team deathmatch and king-of-the-hill.

So true, though the way Assaults are set up bears some of the blame; it wasn’t well thought out. But yes, the lemmings are the bane of us all. How many times have we seen the defenders either think defending means turtling ON the flag, or sending everyone into the enemy lines? In most defenses, a forward scout line or pickets backed up by well-sited firepower is a winning strategy, but it requires patience and self control…

Hehe, yeah. More TDs on one side and more arty on another definitely sounds like a fun scenario. For arty. I wouldn’t want to be on the def side there though.

Some attack maps (eg Malinovka) are geared towards attackers.

Attack scenarios in random are won in the same way CW attack fights are won - it all depends on good scouting and good arty in the first 50% of the match, during which heavies are supposed to wait it out in a good defensive position. The problem in random is with all three components - scouts mostly suck, arty would rather shoot at enemy scouts (which is kinda understandable because no one defends arty from them in random) and heavies never want to wait it out a bit.

1 extra top heavy and 1 extra scout on the attacking side (on some maps) would probably help to make fights more even. It would be kinda like a backup - if one stupid scout (or heavy) stupidly dies in the first couple of minutes, the team will still have a chance due to this backup.

Well, TDs are really kind of screwed on the offense in most assaults, as they are generally too slow, except maybe the Russians. I see what you’re saying about TDs and arty, but given the long range and hitting power of most TDs, relative to their tier, if used intelligently they’d be much more useful to the defenders on many maps. Malinovka is a problem because one flank has no cover for a slow TD, however; as you noted, the attacker actually can do ok on that map sneaking up through the woods. Fast TDs do ok on this map on the attack, but T28/T95 in particular are shafted.

Put a hill anywhere on a map and the majority of the players will head for it. It doesn’t matter if it’s in a corner of the map and out of range of the objective. Nor does it matter if it will take a heavy tank half the match to drive up it and keep him out of the fight until it’s too late to help prevent a lost match. The attitude of the average World of Tanks player seems to be that a hill is the number one priority.

Lol, Greybriar, so true. :)

So I see the patch is released today, has anyone tried it?

my download just finished so I’ll give it a go. I didn’t try the beta at all.

So… it’s pretty impressive. The max quality textures have a very heavily bump mapped look to the terrain. The game flow felt about the same on a type 59, but I hopped on my T-50-2 and holy crap. It was ruinberg and I got up to about 73, hit a little crater in the ground, and nearly flipped the tank. then I was gunning it and went to make a quick turn and realized that the physics are more than just getting airborne. I went into a sideways slide before I recovered my momentum and going going forward again. It’s cool but will take some getting used to. :)

Post game breakdown is pretty awesome. It shows who I spotted, and the damage dealt by allies to people that I spotted that they wouldn’t have seen if not for me. You see damage dealt to targets, and critical damage done.

Max detail settings crush my gaming laptop down to about 15-18 fps, 20-24 on turbo (i7 quad at 2.2 or 3.2 ghz, respectively, 12gb ram, nvidia 675M)

Going to back it down a bit probably. So many settings which I have no idea how much they will affect performance.

The Lakeview remake is nice, what I’ve seen of it. Valley side isn’t nearly so suicidal now.

There’s a much better “feel” for weapons fire that’s hard to quantify. I think it’s a combination of sound, muzzle flash, shell and impact graphics all coming together. Shell velocities may be slightly higher all around.

Had a pretty sweet moment as an IS7 where I pushed a T110E5 down into a pit he couldn’t get out of. :)

gorrammit we get it last as always. and still two more days of le work. f7u12

Can’t wait to play tanks two dot oh for reals.

if your hardware has the moxie, force anisotropic filtering to 8x or 16x in your driver (used to be in tanks settings menu) for übersweet gobsmackingly hawt hawtness in graphics. on my rig that made the difference between happy my little cartoon tanks going pew pew to dark russian war monsters trundling through the ruins of some rustic scenery.

Biggest problem so far is that everyone is so busy trying to do ‘cool shit’ that they aren’t actually trying to win matches. So you have two or three people on a side actually playing, and ten or more trying to fly! or dive! or go in the water and swim!

My stats are going downhill faster than a T-50-2. Ha-ha.

I’ve caught quite a few tanks trying to peek over cliff tops to shoot down at me finding themselves gobsmacked as they fall straight down and get stuck with their nose in the dirt.

Turns out top armor isn’t so great.

In the last hour-ish I’ve seen a lot more people trying, but they are just plain bad at either

1. Seeing the minimap
  2. Seeing anything in front of them
  3. Seeing anything at all.

It’s just ew all over right now.

Looks really nice though. So there’s that.

The tanks handle better now, in that they feel more appropriately weighty and solid, and you actually have to pay attention where you are driving most of the time.

Though they did refund the gold spent on camo, the cost to fully camo (three season adaptive) a Tier X is like 750g, more if you want inscriptions and emblems. You can easily drop over a thousand gold on pimping your ride. Which is fine, as it’s entirely optional, but the camo-less tanks in 8.0, though nicely rendered, look so clean and plastick-y that without the camo they look like toys…

Camo is not just for looks anymore, it now gives you 5% to your “hiding”. Which kinda sucks because it forces you to spend lots and lots of money on it if you have multiple tanks like so many of us. Personally, I am just ignoring it for now.

As for the patch. Danm, I thought I was done with WoT… I haven’t played it for over a month and I am very happy with GW2 but here is the patch and my friends and I were curious to check it out. Damn, we had so much fun with the game, it seems it’s going to start competing with GW2 for my time.

Update to the graphics is very nice, the only thing they messed up is gamma levels (at least on my - and my friends’ -ATI card). It’s too bright on some maps (desert ones) and too dark on others and completely dark in the Garage. Not a big deal though. Lighting changed somehow and the world seems more gruesome or something. Maybe they re-worked shadows or something, I don’t know, but the game looks less cartoony and more “real”. I played on default settings only though (only downed the gamma a bit), I’ll have to see what else can be done there.

New sounds are awesome. Guns sound unbelievable now, i get a mini-orgasm every time I shoot on my JagdE-100. Tanks themselves also sound better, engine, tracks, surface, ricochets (I love the new ding), explosions, everything sounds much much better.

Physics-wise, I haven’t noticed many changes to the driving model but than again I haven’t tried any fast tanks yet (I fell in love with my JagdE-100, see the mini-orgasms remark above). I was, however, surprised how much these physics changes affect the tactics in the game, when tanks can move through previously impassable terrain like cliffs or water. Very cool.

I even drowned once, hehe. Who would have known that river is so deep there. :)

Oh and my friend saw one scout jumping off some hill and getting killed while in the air. His words: “OMG, that was a freaking FPS moment”.

I also saw a 2% E-75 killing a 100% T-95 by falling on it from a not so high cliff. They both died but obviously E-75 was a winner there. Very cool again.

And I love the after battle report. I probably spent more time in that screen than in all the battles. :)

The 5% camo bonus is iffy, in terms of being worth the cost. Maybe on my CW Tier X mediums. The brightness is universally noted, and generally loathed, but some folks really like it. Seems hard to adjust away via gamma settings though.

As you drive, listen to to your suspension. It creaks and groans and clanks a lot more, and if you are going at speed over bumps, you’ll hear and feel it. You can shed your tracks while driving too, in some cases. Sound in general is, yeah, much better–the E50M gun is my fave, but they all sound great. The BL-10 now sounds like the voice of God on high.

I would like to take this moment to reiterate my previous remark about anisotropic filtering. Its what fixes the toy tank thing.

The BL-10 made me poop my pants when I fired it.

I have everything set to max, and that setting isn’t one of the available ones. Antialiasing, yes, but not the filtering. Where do you find that? It’s not on the graphics tab for me.

Used to be in settings in tanks but no more since 8.0 . Force it in your graphics card control panel.