World Of Tanks

Warthunder simulation mode is rarely used, but the realistic mode has the same damage modeling, but 3rd person view.

World of Tanks is just avatars with hitpoints, its really not the same game. WW2 online would be awesome, but the infantry model is awful sadly…and its the first thing you play when you start…

WWIIOnline was a good idea, but the tech wasn’t there when it went live and I’m not sure it’s there now. Cornered Rat also never had the resources IMO to make it work.

The idea was interesting, but the implementation was dreadful. It took hours literally to get into the battle, and you were often shot dead immediately. While it was very neat to drive the tanks and stuff, the fact they went for 1940 with gear that no one outside of hard-core grogs gave a shit about didn’t help.

And yes, WoT is just sacks of hitpoints; it’s an FPS with tanks instead of whatever, for sure. The tank models look pretty decent, though not as good as Warships’ ship models, which are generally excellent.

Did ww2online ever expand beyond the initial campaign area? I can’t believe they still have a $15 subscription in 2017.

I’ve always thought of WoT as basically the original CoD just as tanks instead of infantry

$17/mo now if you can believe that.

No they never changed the area. Or did X amount of things they promised.

SPAA will be released soon guys, just hang in there.

What’s that?

Self propelled artillery. Player requests for new equipment has always been a long running joke on the forums. New planes, tanks, machine guns, etc., coming “soon”.

I haven’t played in years but I still get email updates from CRS. Apparently most of the original Rats are no longer on the team and some guy who started out as a player when he was 12 years old when it debuted in 2001 is now in charge of the game. They have been doing fund raisers to hire programmers and upgrade the server hardware and it got the Greenlight on Steam sometime last year but according to their goal progress they still have work to do until it’s Steam ready.

It’s still the same damn theater of the Low Countries and parts of France and Germany. Every friggin town had to be hand built and that was Doc’s job but he has since bailed from CRS. Graphics are the same as well but the long term goal is a new engine but that’s probably 50 years away at least. I check Twitch occasionally but I never find streams of WW2OL and current YouTube videos are sparse. It never had mass appeal and never will but there are enough die hards to keeping it afloat.

I will say it was the most played MMOG for me and I had a lot of fun with it despite the dated graphics, bugs, and glacial rate of development. It was all worth it during peak hours with yuge hours long battles that would put to shame anything the Battlefield shoebox shooters could muster.

Lol yes. Modeling the British and French tanketes was certainly novel at the time but in reality nobody wanted to drive a tank with a top speed of 5MPH while the Germans had zippy Panzers that could get you to town in no time.

Aye, WW2 online was great. I remember my platoon used to run recon flights over the areas we were supposed to attack and create detailed plans with maps and b&w pictures taken from the air (tastefully “aged”) to show the objectives for infantry, was great.

Walk/Drive for 30 minutes, fight for 3 minutes, Dead.

If only he’d done that 15-16 years ago and they’d replaced him with someone decent, the game might still be a thing. He constantly cried/bitched/moaned about how hard everything was, didn’t actually work on the game, just flew planes all the time. The epitome of How Not To Dev.

I hear he’s working on Grimoire these days.

Oh hey, just saw that single player content is coming - that may be old news on PC but I’ve been playing on Xbox so it’s news to me! Always like to have the option to play by myself from time to time.

That’s good to know and would be worth returning to the game. I played multiplayer a while back but got tired of the premium ammo throwing off the game balance and fairness.

Haven’t played for a long time. This might get me to update and jump back in. Just need some more info.

lolwut?!

Hm, so looks like the single player campaign went up yesterday and from what I’m finding online looks like it’s console exclusive? Seems a little odd.

If the bots in WoT are like the co-op battle bots in WoWS, I’d expect the challenge level to be fairly low. In Warships, the co-op missions are pretty much laughable, except for grinding out some odd steps to special missions or what not.

I never minded premium ammo in Tanks, once you could buy it with credits. It just meant you had to make money on average, which meant it penalized poorer players. It was sort of a rich get richer thing, but given that in some cases premium ammo was less effective than non-premium ammo, and you still needed to figure out where to shoot and how to play your tank, that bit never bothered me much.

Balance in general in both games is hard to achieve given all the factors they are working with. I gave up worrying about it a long time ago.

I used premium ammo a lot in the beginning, when I was spending money anyway. Lowe anyone? Near the end I stopped because it always felt like a waste of money.

Whoa, looks like this news is a couple months old but I’m only just noticing so what the heck, I’ll put it here - a World of Tanks and Warhammer 40K collaboration? Yes please!

https://wotblitz.com/en/news/pc-browser/news/warhammer-40000/

Aw no Chad Marine flying super heavies?

If that’s just for Blitz, meh. Blitz is the mobile version, right?