World of Warcraft 3 trailer

http://www.blizzard.com/wow/movies/

All I have to say is…WOW (no pun intended)

I can’t wait to see the headlines when the reviews start coming out for it.

“WoW is just… Wow”

FWIW, which is very little, this is the only MMORPG that I have ever had any interest in whatsoever. Mostly because of Bill Roper’s insistence that this game won’t fall into the old mindless MMORPG levelling ruts.

How is supposed to change the genre?

http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324

You may or may not know this, but every single online RPG in development currently “insists” this, not just World of Warcraft.

You may or may not know this, but every single online RPG in development currently “insists” this, not just World of Warcraft.[/quote]

I don’t think Wumpus has ever even played any of these games. According to him, they can’t be any good until they have real-time, reflex-based combat.

I don’t think Wumpus has ever even played any of these games.

See “lack of interest” quote, above. Feel free to pay them $9.95 a month while simultaneously complaining about the $12.95/mo Tivo fee, however. I’ll be sure to think of you while I’m power-levelling in the planes of fire.

every single online RPG in development currently “insists” this,

Not every MMORPG is in development by Blizzard, either. Say what you will, but their track record is mighty impressive. I’m completely willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Compare with Chet’s indignant rage when Cornered Rat couldn’t deliver WW2 Online. Fucking DUH.

Let’s see, when a MMORPG plans on changing the genre, who do you trust? Bill Roper or Raph Koster? Not that wumpus knows anything about this.

For the record, I’m looking forward to both, but I think Star Wars Galaxies is the more likely candidate for doing something bold.

-Tom

I’m looking forward to WoW more than any other MMORPG in development… by far. Galaxies will probably be a pretty hot game, but it’ll take awhile. I just love the visual style of WoW… it’s way more attractive than any RPG I’ve seen (not just MMO)

I am going to give my money onto Blizzard then Verant.

At least Blizzard makes polished quality games while Verant enjoys violating EQ players. 400,000 subscribers is garbage, thats not even half a million, yet games like Diablo and Warcraft sold way more and their expenses are way less.

Yet another chat room with elves and people who proclaim superiority by having so little going on in their real lives that they have time to build uber-characters in MMORPGs.

Woo-hoo. Sign me up.

Not.

Here’s the thing (though Tom actually just made this point):

Blizzard hasn’t actually made any online RPGs before ever in their entire lives ever.

An online RPG is one of the hardest kinds of game to make, possibly the hardest there is right now. There are so many damn things to consider as a designer, so many other damn things to consider as a producer, they’re a nightmare if you’re a network programmer, and on top of all that, there are about 9.32x10(18) (that’s “ten to the 18th power”) unexpected things that can go wrong. Don’t take my word for it, ask any beta tester of any online RPG about their testing experiences. In fact, ask any live player of any online RPG out at retail. Unexpected and seemingly catastrophic stuff can and does happen all the time.

Blizzard has created several very popular and successful games, but their experience in online RPGs comes down to them playing a bunch of Everquest. It’ll be interesting to see how the game turns out, but as far as I’m concerned, they just don’t have enough experience to do a great job with it, at least at launch. I hope I’m wrong. I hope it’s a great game, but I doubt it will be, at least for the first 6 months.

Sorry, I missed this other thing you said the first time around. This may or may not shock you, but most online RPGs cost $13 a month to play now, not $10. (I think UO and The Sims Online might still be $10, but they’re the exceptions). Most new ones, including Star Wars Galaxies and World of Warcraft will also probably cost at least that much too per month, if not more.

For the record, I’m looking forward to both, but I think Star Wars Galaxies is the more likely candidate for doing something bold.

If by “something bold” you mean Fuck Star Wars, then I agree. As if MMORPGs weren’t geeky enough-- adding a little pinch of midichlorians to the mix pretty much pushes the dork factor off the scales. Frankly I’d rather play Sims Online first, and even then, only at gunpoint.

Can I play as Triumph the Insult Comic Bothan?

Not to turn this into a WoW versus SWG debate, but you’re bringing up this “argument,” as opposed to World of Warcraft’s hyper-cool, slick, suave orcs?

Here’s a hint for you: By shying away from Star Wars specifically, you’re not somehow barely avoiding an imaginary threshold of nerdiness. [i]All[/i] people who play online RPGs of any kind, Star Wars, Orc Wars, whatever, are [i]all[/i] losers.

No, but you can be a female wookie hairdresser.

All people who play online RPGs of any kind, Star Wars, Orc Wars, whatever, are all losers.

Sure, but admitting that you play a STAR WARS mmorpg – ugh. That’s like being gay and black. Not that there’s anything wrong with either, of course, but it’s a dual stigma that’s guaranteed to make your life more difficult than it would otherwise be. Moreover, the Star Wars franchise has pretty much squandered whatever cultural good will it had with Joe Six-Pack based on those hideous Episode I and II movies.

Like I said: Fuck Star Wars, and the mmorpg it rode in on, too.

Actually I’d say playing a Star Wars game would be less geeky then playing an Orcs v. Humans game. I’d say: Star Wars > Star Trek > D&D in the geek ladder. But this discussion has nothing to do with anything. :P

On the other hand, Orcs. vs. Humans could fall under a “generic fantasy” label which gets lumped under “Tolkien,” and Tolkien is cool now that “Two Towers” has been Oscar-nominated and has grossed four hundred quillion dollars.