World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth

World of Warcraft is still running?

-Tom

Why do think they never finished Titan?

I know you’re being ironic but I’m sure costs are pretty much fixed and well-known at this point, so I’m sure they’ll keep the servers up as long as it turns a profit.

It’s entirely possible that World of Warcraft will outlive me.

So what’s the oldest still profitable online game? The oldest online game that’s still making its publisher money?

-Tom

Ultima Online just announced a free to play option. Not sure how old Runescape is, but it’s still going strong.

To clarify, all previous expansions come with the purchase of the latest expansion. If you don’t buy Battle for Azeroth, your account will be as it was when you left off.

As @Balasarius mentioned, if you play a new character to 30 or so, you’ll be fine to boost. All the classes and specs were overhauled in Legion – read “pruned”, “stripped down” – so the barrier to re-entry is significantly lower than it used to be.

Meridian 59 is still running, though F2P now. It’s 23 years old now.

Are you sure? I reactivated this fall after being away since Wrath and I am pretty sure I had access to everything including Draenor without purchasing Legion.

I think they add the previous expansion to the base game when a new expansion comes out. So today, buying WoW by itself (or resubbing if you ever owned it) would give you everything except Legion.

Blizzard has actually built the WoW team up significantly in the last 3-4 years, plus they are building a small team for WoW Classic. It’s still super profitable and worth it to them to increase their costs rather than just maintain them, which is, I think, unique to 10+ year-old MMOs.

You are right! Sorry for my confusementarianism.

That’s a name Ive not heard since LtM.

As for the thread, I still log into EQ…

I’m merely asking for a friend.

I’ve never played WoW- does it look like a 14 year old game, or has it received significant visual overhauls over the years?

A little bit of both. They went with a very stylistic approach from day 1. I personally feel it has allowed the game to age gracefully. That said, you still see goofiness of wheels being hexagons and such (ie., low poly). The graphics have improved over time. WoD and Legion zones are waaay nicer than older zones, and newer armor sets have much more detail than ancient tier 1 gear. But it will always have that ‘cartoony’ look, which bothers some.

Player models got an overhaul in Legion:

Still cartoony, but definitely nicer.

So, I’m trying to figure out what the hell to do in WoW.

I have around 6 level 100s [Edit: should be 110s]. 4 horde, 2 alliance. My alliance toons are on Moon Guard, which Goldshire aside, is at least a fairly active server. My 4 horde toons are on Argent which is deader than dead.

For BoFA, I’m debating either just playing my alliance toons on an active server, or using my 110 boost to boost a clone of one of my 110s and pay to move my main. I’ve got some sentimental attachment to her since I’ve been playing that toon since day 1.

On the other hand, I’ve been playing WoW as an open-world Single Player game for years. I’m not into raiding, and not being in an active guild or server really isn’t causing me any stress.

At least with the Allied Races and level scaling, there’s a reason again to level up from scratch (or level 20 right now). I would recommend, perhaps, getting 1 alliance and 1 horde character to 110 and unlock the 4 allied races currently available. That should keep you, an SP/open world lover, going for quite a while.

I’ve got 3/4 races unlocked, and I don’t care enough about the Tauren to unlock them.

I’ve thought about leveling an allied race, but I just don’t have the energy.

I consolidated all of my Alliance toons on Moon Guard this weekend. My Horde toons I am still keeping on Argent Dawn for now, but I think after BofA I might move my main to Area52.

Even the toons I moved into MoonGuard I haven’t really felt like leveling. I still have my boost left. I might either use it on a friend’s Alliance server (Llane, which is also dead), or if I eventually move to A52 use it to boost another character there.