World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth

The fact that they nerfed flying was one of the main reasons I quit playing. It’s one thing for other classes, but it’s especially bad for a druid, as that insta flight mechanic is such a core thing about the class. Really destroyed the game for me, just took all of the fun out of form swapping. You haven’t lived until you’ve popped up out of the water into insta flight form.

For me, that was the beginning of a lot of bad choices from Blizzard. The gutting of the specs was the last straw for me. I keep thinking about coming back to WoW, but then I remember all this stuff and have zero motivation again. From a druid perspective, they managed to take what was easily the most fun and best class ever in an MMO, and destroy it.

I’m happy with the flying compromise. As stated above, you do the grind on your main so that future alts can just wiz through. It helps (a bit) with my tendency to play too many characters. Knowing that it’ll be easier later if I focus on just one for now (in theory) helps me keep heads-down with my “main”. Practice doesn’t work so well, of course.

The biggest problem with flying is that it kills world PvP, which is supposedly one of the main purposes of this expansion.

Of course, when you have shit like the layout of Boralas…

“Oh you fell off a ledge, it’s a 4 minute run back to the other side of town.” Great…

screw that. flight master’s whistle, hearthstone, or dalaran heartstone -> portal to sw -> portal to boralus.

You can buy one of these pretty cheaply - Net-o-Matic 5000 - Item - World of Warcraft

It’s also a quest reward for turning on War Mode and killing one player.

This is not why they changed it. So few people do world PvP they wouldn’t make a drastic change just for that. Not to mention that world PvP is a toggle now so anyone who enjoys it can do it to their heart’s content.

The real problem is that flying totally trivializes world content. Their designers spend a lot of time creating an outdoor world that means something, and then you swoop down right on top of the single quest mob, kill him, and fly away. It just makes it impossible to create meaningful encounters.

What we have is a good compromise. Flying from day 1 existed in a WoW that had no world quests or other reasons to revisit the world after you level through it.

This just takes some more work and time, but at least Blizz can know that you consumed the content the way they designed it for a while.

It is a major feature of the explansion, but I agree that…

This is, and always has been, the driving issue for why you never get to have it early on and then they give it to you.

That said, I wouldn’t be completely opposed to them leaving it out this time. The world is pretty mobile and easy to get around unlike most of them. Of course they’re selling $30 flying mounts so LUL that aint happening.

I check this every day - https://www.wowhead.com/flying

Edit - omg this is awesome - https://bloodmallet.com/index.html

Man, I hope the turtles have a contract available or that is going to be a long haul to revered. About 2000 to go for 7th legion, and the starting zone reps are within 15% or revered so not worried about them.

Apparently fastest selling expansion yet

Legion built up a lot of goodwill.

So I’ve played WoW since release, though in the past few years, I’ve hardly played it at all. The spouse and I recently decided to jump into Legion at the end of the expansion to get the mount, and we purchased BfA. He’s already lost interest again, but I’m already 120 and mostly going world quests at the moment with my Night Elf Hunter, the very first character I ever made.

Anyway, I was going through my bank trying to get rid of stuff and make room for more stuff. I have always been a packrat, and have a habit of holding on to things that you can’t get anymore, even if they serve zero purpose in the game. (Argent Dawn Commission? Forsaken Skull? Etc.)

I had also held on to, for all these years, the original shirt that my night elf had equipped at creation - the Rugged Trapper’s Shirt. It was soulbound, but I recall always thinking it looked good underneath some armor, even though I haven’t equipped it in years. (You can’t see under most chest armor anyway these days.)

So while going through the bank, I see that that item said “You have not collected this item’s appearance” on it. I thought that was weird and took it out of the bank to equip it to unlock it… and was warned that it would become soulbound. Wait a minute, I thought to myself… hasn’t this always been soulbound?

Turns out that yes, it has been, but for some reason it no longer is unless you equip it. Moreover, this item is no longer the starting gear for any character - it has been replaced with the Rugged Trapper’s Vest which is actual starting chest armor. So the Rugged Trapper’s Shirt that I own is no longer available in the game.

Most people would have trashed this item years ago, but my packrat tendencies seem to have paid off. Because it seems that this item is being listed on Auction Houses for around 500,000 gold. :o

Honeslty, I’ve no idea if 500k is a lot of gold these days, since I haven’t played regularly since Cataclysm (like many others, that was the expansion that killed the game for me). I had about 110,000 when we restarted at the end of Legion, so 500k is at least a lot for me.

So far, no takers. But hey, it only costs 1 silver to list it every day, so we’ll see if there are any appearance collector junkies on my Alliance server (Skullcrusher) that may grab it.

500k is still quite a lot…at the current WoW Token exchange rate, it’s almost $90.

There may be people listing it that high. I have my doubts that there’ll be many takers.

The wording on that is strange. “As of” 8/14, they had sold 3.5M units. But they claim the title for most 1-day sales. I’m assuming the first number includes pre-orders. Not saying they are lying, but would kinda like to know the real numbers for 8/14, vs. the number of pre-orders (just for curiosity’s sake).

They did go pretty heavy on the pre-order incentives versus retail. Early unlocks, access the day before retail release, etc.

Dark Iron and the Mag’har orcs are unlocked now: https://www.wowhead.com/news=286693/maghar-orc-now-playable-allied-race-unlock-scenario

I am working on Alliance first this expac. I am almost done with Kul Tourist, and about half done with the Ready for War stuff. My question is: will getting the Ready for War achieve on alliance mean I just need to get Exalted with The Honorbound on Horde for them to unlock, or do I need to do Ready for War on that side also.

I’m so glad I’m not alone in not quite being done with… the whole game yet. Most of the folks in my guild are already maxed out in gear/rep/etc. - it is crazy. Granted, a bunch of them are raider types which I most certainly am not. But holy crap, when I think back to spending 6+months leveling up to 60 in vanilla…

Interesting kickstarter that popped up today:

A diary of the development of vanilla wow.

This is pretty awesome, and I’m glad to see it passed its funding goal. John’s one hell of a guy and designed many of vanilla’s zones and dungeons. He’s got the blessing of Blizzard as well as management.