World of Warcraft Classic

In planning on holy priest or resto shammy depending on which faction the qt3 group ends up on (and if there is room).

Was holy priest from beta until alliance got shamans.

Is it worth creating a new Classic thread and merging these posts, or renaming the post to World of Warcraft: et al.?

I think we need a Classic thread, but it’s still about three months away. It will be a distinct game.

Mark you know I am with you on that. It may end up being a fad… let’s face it a wow vanilla classic is probably really tough.

But I will give it a college try …. let us split this thread when we can. Telefrog might help with that. Though I don’t think he loves me… But I think he will split this thread.

I was about to make a Classic thread, post a bunch of Vanilla hype videos, then make a second post to keep track of everyone’s character names / faction… aaand there’s already a WoW Classic thread that Telefrog made when it was announced.

Which is probably why no one’s made one.

Guess I’ll just go to bed.

World of Warcraft: Classic launches August 26th UK & USA, 27th elsewhere.

Players with active subs can reserve up to 3 character names starting August 13th.

It will be interesting to see what they do after the initial rush and the majority of players realize that, “Yeah… this is pretty bad by today’s standards,” and leave.

Also, it’s beyond ridiculous that it’s taken them over two years to re-deliver a game they delivered 15 years ago, battle.net integration or not.

I think from what I read how they coded WoW made it harder to go back in time. I am not a developer, but it sounds like maybe a check-in issue and a backup cycles expired?

I’m excited about wow classic. Nice to see a release date. Nothing wrong with nostalgia gaming; I do it all the time.

At blizzcon the lead dev went into lots of detail about the challenges. He seemed convincing to me, but I am not a dev.

Here it is, I think

Some of the player-run servers had over a hundred thousand consistent players. Depends on the amount of actual effort it took to make of course, but I expect it’ll do OK.

Sure. But these are the same guys who claim they’re being DDOS’d with every WoW release, when the fact is they haven’t been DDOS’d in a decade.

They’re lying. Their infrastructure can never handle the initial load, so they blame DDOS.

It’s not DDOS.

As for Ion, well, he’s about as frustrating to listen to as Trump is.

It’ll definitely do OK. But one of the worst things Blizz has ever implemented is CRZs, and it’s one of the biggest reasons people want Vanilla. Everyone wants their own community on their own server.

So Blizz spins up 40 Vanilla servers. Six months from now 35 of them are ghost towns. What do they do?

There are plenty of empty servers on Live, but with CRZs players hardly notice. That won’t be an option with Vanilla.

Blizz will have to shutter servers and move players. The community outrage will be delicious.

They’re using a form of phasing to avoid that problem in the first couple of weeks. Once the initial rush dies off and people stop logging in, they’ll turn it off.

Why can’t they just merge realms as needed to compensate for player attrition?

That is commonly seen as a sign of failure. These shenanigans hide the fact that the game is hemorrhaging players.

Yes, but WoW Classic was never intended to have gajillions of players. It’s something that a core niche clamored for and Blizzard decided to give it to them. I assume they’ve done some basic calculations on likely audience, and if it declines below profitability, they can shut it down. Considering how many MMOs last for ages on skeleton crews, it doesn’t seem to me like some kind of debacle if it only stabilizes to 50k or 100k or whatever.

Not at all! But it would certainly be seen as such. Not by the cognoscenti like you and me, but the unwashed peasants.

Interesting.

I would hope Blizzard is very conservative on Classic, especially since community is a big draw. The layering approach seems to make sense, and given layering is turned off as phases unlock it should be ok.

I also hope Blizzard has talked to their friends in other development houses about how populations on classic servers have evolved over time. While nothing official will ever be discussed, I am sure people know people who work at Turbine at all to at least get a feel.