World of Warcraft Classic

Well, we don’t need to get into an argument about their Diablo Immortal announcement, which was terrible, but you have your facts incorrect here.

Blizzard put out a blog specifically meant to TAMPER expectations for a Diablo 4 reveal at Blizzcon in 2018. Here’s the relevant text:

We know what many of you are hoping for and we can only say that “good things come to those who wait,” but evil things often take longer. We appreciate your patience as our teams work tirelessly to create nightmarish experiences worthy of the Lord of Terror.

While we won’t be ready to announce all of our projects, we do intend to share some Diablo-related news with you at the show.

Couldn’t see a regular WoW thread when I searched. Only got this and a bunch of ones that were WoW: insert expansion title so I chose this sincemits recent activity.

The linked-to article specifically references the upcoming expansion, which would be where I thought it should go.

Blizzard denies the console rumor.

Burning Crusade coming, and you can get a boost once to 58. Sign me up. Karazhan is still my favorite raid ever.

That might get me back in Classic. I got a priest up to 60 and eventually didn’t like the class. With the boost to 58 I can play something else without having to grind those 58 levels.

The one-button macro was amazing. I can’t wait to do that again.

Are there plans to do progression resets at some point or is WoW classic just going to go all the way through BC, Lich King, Cataclysm, etc., and never look back?

I have pretty much locked myself out of Blizzard games thanks to Blitzchung rage, but if I did ever play it again, I’d personally want to keep injecting the straight vanilla juice, because that’s where for me the nostalgia is strongest. I already felt the magic slip away a bit when BC dropped, even if game mechanics were improving.

It’s a good question. I kinda hope they stop around Wrath. I felt Wrath was the end of the WoW I liked. And a lot of that is because the guild I was in died off early Cata and never found one as good.

I think that there is a reasonable chance that they’ll stop at Wrath. And then once everyone has had chance to kill the Lich King a bunch they will restart the whole cycle over again with Vanilla and repeat forever. Vanilla → Burning Crusade → WOTLK. That would be what a 4-5 year cycle for the whole thing?

I can see myself going around that loop at least once more again with a different class. The MMORPG competition out there is dreadful and doesn’t look to improve anytime soon.

I don’t see them restarting vanilla again unless they have improved it in someway.

They almost have to. Cata would be the zone changes.

Now, this is Blizzard and they want that sweet, sweet sub money. I’d be curious about the user base into Wrath.

I mean, the whole appeal of WoW Classic was supposed to be for people who wanted vanilla and didn’t want “improvements,” I thought. (Anyway, I certainly fit into that category; but even before I flounced off after the Blitzchung thing, I never imagined my own engagement with Classic as anything more than a fun nostalgia hit that might last a few months at most.) If Classic catches up to regular WoW it’s not Classic anymore, so then it becomes a somewhat arbitrary question of at what expansion to stop it and/or branch off with Classic-specific expansions (which I suspect would entail a larger team/budget than they would prefer to employ, but maybe Classic is making enough money to justify a content team of some kind).

Perhaps just stopping at Wrath is a happy medium since, as Mark noted, it’s hard to believe the Classic audience would stand for the Cata zone changes, unless another option sprouted off at that time.

One of the carrots with adding each expansion to Classic is it gives guilds a chance to get firsts in each expansion. That might be enough to drive some retention for some players.

I wouldn’t mind some improvements to Classic. I’d be ok with the Dungeon Finder being added. What I liked about my playthrough with Classic was that the PvE stuff was somewhat challenging. If you’re out questing and you get an overpull, you run or die. Sometimes it’s run and die anyway. In the current game it’s difficult to die to game world mobs.

For a lot of people interested in any classic version I think the opinion is that dungeon finder is when the game started to go in the wrong direction. That’s why I’m super curious if they’ll move on to WotLK, though they kindof have to.

The idea that they’d add new content to Classic or BC is wishful thinking, since that’d mean dedicating precious development/art resources that would probably be more profitably deployed in the primary game.

Yes, I doubt they add new content. They only way I see that happening is if they have some content that is nearly complete that was never used. Something like that may not exist.

I guess the Dungeon Finder was harmful to guilds? I could see it making guilds less needed. I personally would like it in Classic since the guild I was in fell apart.

I personally like the dungeon finder, but the complaint is generally that it removes a sense of community from the game, and it’s hard to argue. You hit a button, teleport to a dungeon with four others, fight through it as fast as you can for 15-40 minutes, then disband and never see them again. And during Wrath when it was introduced those people probably weren’t even from your server and there was no cross-server grouping so you wouldn’t even have a chance to group with them again if you wanted to.

Plus it led to the dreaded Raid Finder, which WoW elitists really hate because it’s basically no-effort loot for plebes. I disagree with the attitude, but it definitely exists.

To me the sweet spot was after summoning stones (with only 1 party member required) and before dungeon finder. Basically, the summoning stones dramatically reduced the amount of setup time for dungeon runs while still not making dungeon runs trivial and random like LFG.

Also, adding in multi-spec allowed for a wider range of classes to cover the needed tank and healer spots for dungeon runs and dramatically helped with the tank/healer shortage.

What era were those two? Burning Crusade? Early Wrath? I forget exactly. But that’s the sweet spot IMO.

Did they ever try a Dungeon Finder that just pulled from the player’s server and no other servers?

No, that’s never been a thing with Dungeon Finder. I think the goal was always to make matchmaking as quick and seamless as possible. On the one hand, it definitely takes away from the feeling of a server community, but on the other it’s very successful at widening the appeal of the game.

It’s just that the people who hate it don’t care if the people who love it are around. And that’s one of the reasons they want Classic.