World of Warcraft: Dragonflight - 11-28-22

You guys are sucking me back in. So are the extras you get with the epic edition worth it? It’s basically $75 if you consider you get a free month with it. I think I want the level 60 boost.

Dragon flying is hella-fun when you get it maxed out. It sucks balls at first, but you can just get an addon for directions and max it out immediately when starting the expansion. Takes about half an hour.

Great experience so far, but WoW leveling is always fantastic, even on their worst expansions. I’ll be quitting when I finish it as always.

Extras aren’t worth much, but if you don’t have a 60 the boost will help. It is extremely fast to level to 60 now though.

Shadowlands for me was the exception to that rule. Right from the start I hated leveling that expansion.

I loved it, but I only did it once. That’s the trick. All new fresh content to experience, 100% of the time. Consuming the work of hundreds of people over four years in like 3 days.

Not a shadowlands leveling fan either. The story was just meh to me.

3 hours in and this xpac is reminding me of wotlk and the writing and zones there.

Dragonriding is great, and I am having a blast without any add-ons. The “orbs” are all available from the start and you can just go fly around and collect them right away. It is a little like the Crackdown system.

There was a video that went out today explaining how progression for end fame will all be loot based. No timed unlock power systems, no mission table, loot is able to be scrapped for tier gear. Set bonuses are back and relevant to power. Talent trees are fun to customize out for each situation etc.

It really does feel like a complete step in a new direction for the game. Very refreshing.

Not to mention, the zones are gorgeous, and zooming around on your dragon is just fun.

I read this thread to keep tabs on the nostalgia/hate/grumbling of how things were so much better in the old times. Stop with this positivity!

I really like dragon riding. I had to get out of the regular mount mindset at first. I would look where I needed to go on map and try to figure out a land route. But then I was like - wait a minute, I can probably just soar where I need to go!

Or just wait a couple years until the content turns free :)

I think my willpower will hold for now, but holy crap that Taliesen video above was some great marketing. I didn’t even understand why I soured on the game, but all the changes he presented pretty much summed it up (mostly mission tables, apparently - I felt an actual cringe seeing his screens of those). The fact that most of the end-game stuff is just cosmetic/title/achievement type stuff? And you can still get end-game gear via non-raid content? The dragon riding stuff was actually the least enticing of it all (probably because GW2 already did it). I suppose “removed mission tables” isn’t as easy to sell, though.

I think my willpower will hold for now…

I’ve played a holy priest almost my entire time in WoW since the beginning and this the first xpac that allows somewhat enhanced dps for the holy spec. Not a huge amount, but enough that I need to think about a rotation and I can build out a specific dps set of skill points to level with. It’s no longer a three button smash for dps (with the occasional heal) holy priests.

Same. I had never lost interest and wandered away from WoW leveling before, but I simply did not care.

Damn. If anything could have sparked my interest . . .

I’m tempted to jump back in, but I know that I’ll get sucked in again and spend way too much time with it. I haven’t played in more than two years, mainly because I wasn’t at all interested in Shadowlands. Dragonflight looks like a nice return to form though.

I really appreciate how “high fantasy” it all feels. Nice break from the last 3 xpacs, all dealing with the same basic story.

I hated the dragonriding at first. But after grabbing almost all of the orbs & upgrading, it really feels great to zoom around!

Yes, upgrading the dragon fully makes it workable. It’s still annoying if you’re a gatherer and just need to hop up a bit to grab a node or herb and the dragon leaps too far and you have to wrestle it back. One time I got stuck under an overhang and had to blow all 6 dragongas to get out. Annoying.

It’s certainly much less convenient, yes. But the mechanical action of flying is fun (IMO of course) and it’s over twice as fast too. Overall a success.

Note Blizzard said they would allow regular flying later on, so you can both possess and consume your cake if you make the poor life choice to keep playing after leveling.

I’ll believe that when it happens. Blizz is famous for drinking their own kool-aid and thinking it’s the best thing ever.

Fair enough, but there’s absolutely no reason for them not to give people the inferior option in the .2 patch.

Oh goodness, they’ll face a hurricane if they go back on their word with flying again. If I actively played I’d quit over it myself.

It’s definitely great to be able to fly right away at the start of the expansion too.