World of Warcraft: Dragonflight - 11-28-22

The end game air FFXIV is pretty much farming glam and tokens. There isn’t really a progression scene like there is in WoW. Some people work through the Savages or whatever the hardest raids are, but it’s not common at all.

There’s also us drifters. I pop in once the expansion gets cheaper, play for a few months, then drop off again when things get too boring (or I starting getting tempted to go back into regular raiding). Unless you call us lifers too.

Yesterday in Oribos “everyone” was running around with their new Tangled Dreamweaver mount. These are the lifers. They’ve always played WoW and they know they always will so it’s nbd for them to drop $70-90 on a sight-unseen expansion that won’t come out for six months.

These are also the same people who have nearly every 1% drop mount and nearly 3K M+ rating.

These are the only people left right now.

Except for you, I guess? You are the last non-lifer playing WoW, I take it?

That’s me also, though I don’t always wait for a price drop for an expansion. I didn’t even run 5-mans in Shadowlands.

I planned to run them all, but I think when the time came to run the third one in the leveling sequence I stopped because everyone in LFG was used to speed running them at that point. After that I stuck to solo Torghast (I didn’t even realize you could group through it until I was almost ready to quit again) and LFR.

No, I’m pretty much a lifer I’m just inferior to all the other ones for some reason.

That’s what I did. I enjoyed it. I just wish it had better rewards. I would have played longer if it had.

I’m pretty sure there are a ton of people buying M+ dungeon carries for gear. It’s one of the fastest ways to get good gear, since you can get upgradeable drops and also a guaranteed high level item from the weekly vault.

My guild has a resident whale that spends a lot of money on carries to kickstart his new toons. He will buy a lot of M+ runs for gear drops + vault, and also a full Heroic clear for the boss kill history and AOTC achievement, since people will check for those when you try to join a PUG.

He’s one of our most skilled players, but just doesn’t want to spend the time doing the initial grinds. We’re always afraid to ask him how much he’s spent.

As for the talk about lifers, I recently joined the WoW Achievements discord and learned that there are people who have nearly every achievement in the game. That’s just insane.

https://www.dataforazeroth.com/leaderboards/achievements![image|1110x409](upload://abVcVWT2CoyBbICt9fkEf7LB93f.png)

I really have no idea. I hope they stop, though.

What would be nice is if they start to branch out a new story.

Cata is where the wheels started to fall off for WoW. I am curious how they will keep people interested.

Doing a brand new expansion would be interesting. They could reuse some content from previous expansions – maybe add some battlegrounds, some instanced dungeons, etc. – and add new PvE leveling content. If MCU can have different comic book realities why can’t WoW have different shards too?

Yes, that’s coming-- is it worth their time to make a Cataclysm Classic? Maybe they could just build the systems for the Panda expansion but only release the Cataclysm content, then do Pandaland only 6 months later.

The problem is with the Cata content. I don’t think the people who love classic are going to want the world sundering that happened. All the zones got reworked.

If they fork the story, that probably isn’t going to fly and I have zero faith in Blizzard to not mess it up.

The good news is, MS will own them before this really becomes a problem.

Some will, some won’t. Those that don’t are free to stay with the old time-locked servers, which will never get “new” content.

Yeah.

I am curious how they will handle it. Glad I don’t have to think it through.

I think it’s safe that LFR will never appear in Classic. They already said LFG isn’t coming to Wrath.

Yeah, very curious what happens with Classic after Wrath. Could they somehow launch Cataclysm content but without the rework of the Classic maps? Probably too much work.

New content for Classic would only make sense if the population is greater than Retail, which seems really unlikely. Otherwise the question will always be: why would we put more resources on Classic vs. Retail?

Or maybe Microsoft will give them all the money they want to do both.

I imagine Blizzard will continue their Classic track while offering legacy servers locked on the previous expansion, as they’ve been doing, and I expect that there will be more people will want to stay locked at Wrath than there will be people who wanted to stay locked at Vanilla or Burning Crusade.

Not at all, it would be trivial, you just have a NPC that teleports you to a different zone.

I never really understood the attraction of Classic. For people that never got to play it? WoW improved so much from those early versions that I have zero interest in re-living the non-dungeon finder, non-enhanced map, non-flexible raid numbers, etc. experience.