World of Warcraft: Husband and Wife gaming

I like this story about a Mom & son due. Except that the kid was busted for playing at 3:30 am by his mom when she saw him post on the official website:

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here…

But, Brion - if you don’t want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON’T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
Grounded.

And then one reader’s response to that:

Are you going to take that from her, Brion? Mom nothing, she’s only two levels up on you.

It sucks when your mom pw33ns you on a messageboard. It REALLY sucks when she’s higher level than you.

My wife and I had our first game today - she played a gnome rogue, and I took a dwarf paladin.

We’ve got almost no ability to crowd control, but we hit pretty hard. I suspect we’re going to really pay in blood for this combination later though!

Maybe, but rogues get ranged weapons and can pull, which helps. And yes, you can do some nice damage with that combo and she can run if you get into trouble. that evasion skill on a gnome is incredible…something like 75% dodge!

For all the good her running does him/the pair, since he’s the one who can rez. :)

He can run too though…bubble ftw. :P

Rogue + Pally is an interesting combo. Since paladins can live forever, so long as Destarius can hold aggro they should be golden. I’d be careful, though. You’re going to do amazingly well at first, but fairly soon the rogue will be so severely outdamaging the pally that your ability to keep aggro on the tank is going to suffer. As soon as your wife learns the Feint skill, teach her to spam it constantly every time it’s not on cooldown.

I’m curious as to why your wife chose the rogue.

A friend and I sort of co-opted this theory that main classes reflect best a player’s personality. For example, the warriors I know (including myself) are generally more naive, but put the team/friends first and often develop a great bond with their healers. Or shamans, players tend to be the guy that people generally can’t stand, but can’t seem to do without.

Now in my experience, most people seem to make rogue alts because they appear to be the easiest to level and farm with. I know very few main rogues. So I’m always interested in knowing why a people choose to play the rogue (often cited as one of the two most useless classes in instance runs if they don’t have improved sap).

I play a rogue main (and I don’t have improved sap).

I picked it because that’s the class I usually choose in other RPGs like NWN. A lot of the fun for me is trying to twink my characters to be able to score the biggest possible hit. I think my record with my level 60 rogue (with no epic MC/Ony/BWL gear) is a little over 1900 damage with an eviscerate and over 1500 with an ambush.

That being said, the character I spend the most time playing now is my 42 mage. Thus far I’m finding it far more fun than my rogue.

My speculation is that his wife chose a rogue because a few of us here mentioned that it’s a pretty straight-forward class to play with an easy learning curve.

Actually, she picked gnomes because they’re so cute and rogue because she thought pickpocketing and creeping around would be fun. =) Personally, I thought Warrior would have an easier learning curve, but I wanted her to play whatever she wanted. She’s easily as smart as I am (sometimes I wonder if she’s playing dumb so she won’t bruise my ego), so I wasn’t too afraid of the class being too difficult.

I’d have picked a Dwarf Priest to support her, but I was afraid that a Priest/Rogue combo would be too seriously short of a tank.

I’m still teaching her about pulling, since she managed to get me killed once when she pulled two mobs on us (she’s still learning how to use Sinister Strike and Eviscerate properly). I guess I was asking for it, since I wasn’t any armor at level 6 (I thought my dwarf looked pretty manly bare-chested though!).

It is? I thought it was harder to implement all the combos.

I play as a warrior and FWIW, sort of prove Duality’s theory. I use defensive stance often and a lot of armor all the time instead of using 2-handed maces I have that deal a lot of damage, to protect the druids and mages I often quest with. I also quest a lot with the main group healer who goes with us through the instanced dungeons.

We have played several MMOs together, but discovered over time that our playstyles don’t mesh terribly well at all. He is a hardcore powerlevelling type, who rushes around taking quests, killing mobs and generally finding the most time-efficient and optimal way to play the game successfully. He also solos a lot, unless he is with a trusted friend.

I’m more of a ditzy explorer type, and tend to level up fairly slowly, because I’m too busy stopping to smell the flowers (quite literally when I got herbalism in WoW) and explore interesting-looking caves instead of finishing that quest as fast as possible. I will also stop to talk to strangers sometimes, and even join the odd pick-up group.

Luckily we developed a close-knit group of friends from the first MMO we played (Asheron’s Call), so we were part of the same social group, even if we weren’t playing together.

Funny, that sounds exactly like me and my wife. I’m just trying to finish the quests and level up, while she’s going, “What a pretty tree!”, “What’s this tank-like thing?”, “Look at the view!” and “Wonder what the different trainers say if I talk to them!”. All this while I’m tapping my feet impatiently.

I think I probably need to pick up fishing so I have something to kill time with while she’s wandering around town admiring the architecture!

The only game I’ve ever had problems with over a NAT router was Age of Empires and its sequel. It pretty much ruined the game for me as my roommate and I were unable to play together. I seem to remember Asheron’s Call having a similar problem because it was a Zone problem, but I don’t recall.

It is? I thought it was harder to implement all the combos.

I play as a warrior and FWIW, sort of prove Duality’s theory. I use defensive stance often and a lot of armor all the time instead of using 2-handed maces I have that deal a lot of damage, to protect the druids and mages I often quest with. I also quest a lot with the main group healer who goes with us through the instanced dungeons.[/quote]

Nah, it’s not that hard to implement combos. Really it comes down to what weapons you choose to use. If you’re a sword or mace rogue, you always open with Cheap Shot, gain combo points with Sinister Strike, and then finish with either Kidney Shot or Eviscerate. For a dagger rogue it’s slightly harder; you can open with Cheap Shot or Ambush, gain points with SS or Backstab, and finish with KS or Evis. Aside from a few other important skills like Sap, Vanish, Gouge, and Feint, that’s about all it takes to play a rogue, especially at lower levels.

Warriors, OTOH, have to concern themselves with holding aggro, sometimes with multiple mobs. They have three stances to choose from, and each stance has different abilities that can be used.

Teaching someone how to be a good tank seems much harder than teaching someone how to be a good rogue, IMO.