World of Warcraft: Shadowlands

I’m in the same boat. I unsubbed, and then resubbed again because hey…15 bucks, at least I can farm mounts and mogs and level some alts. The structure of SL killed that though. There are so many things in SL that are just obvious time gating, to the point of being a bit insulting. Regardless of the PvE game problems though, PvP is just infuriating right now, probably the worst it’s ever been. I’m not sure who at Blizzard thinks dying in a stun is fun gameplay, but they should never work in the game industry again.

I like the BGs, but I feel like if I resub I’ll be hopelessly outgeared. And I certainly don’t want to be stunlocked to death.

I guess the idea of a stun is to halt return damage or immobilize so a melee class can stay in range to hit. There have to be other ways to both mitigate damage and stay near enough to hit.

It’s weird because from level 50-59, when you do a BG everyone gets set to level 59 with, I think, an aggregate gearscore. Damage feels normalized and as a result PvP is a lot of fun. 1v1 against an enemy player can last 20-30s or more.

But as soon as you hit 60 that goes out the window and you’re getting hit with multiple 10K crits.

And what’s this new thing with rogues and kitty druids stunning you then doing this absurdly fast zig-zag back forth on your stunned ass? Feels like an exploit.

Can you still turn off leveling? Maybe I will get a character to 59 and turn off leveling to enjoy the BGs.

This is what kills every expansion for me. It’s fun to level and fun to see the new stuff, but eventually, the facade falls away and everything nakedly becomes “just keep that sub active.”

You can turn off leveling, but I think if you do, you enter a different BG Q, with other people that have done the same. Not sure if that’s still in play, but at one point they did it to try and solve the twinking problem.

I have a resto druid with 197 iLevel, I was in bear form and got hit with a 13k shadowstrike, and an 18k aimed shot at the same time. Literally insta dead, didn’t even have time to hit bark skin. Paladins are currently the worst though, if you get caught in a judgement, and they pop wings, you are dead in 2-3 GCDs, even with defensive CDs popped. It’s a real shame, because I LOVE WoW PvP when expansions first start and before the idiotic burst meta takes over. The game is really fun when it actually takes some time and strategy to kill someone.

If you walk into a BG now with anything under about 220 ilevel, you are just immediately dead. Going in there with starting gear, i.e. about 160 and it’s just comical how fast you die.

If you’re interested in spoiling yourself a day early, someone made an oopsie and distributed all the WoW stuff they’re going to announce tomorrow at BlizzConline, including screenshots and other images.

I can only upgrade Honor gear to ilvl 197. What’s the deal with that? You’re expected to switch to Conquest gear at that point? What am I supposed to do with my Honor points?

Ugh, mega dungeons are the worst. If you don’t have a clique of 4 other buddies that together form the perfect WoW group, forget it. You’ll never see it.

This is the exact reason I quit. My resto druid was parked at 197, and honor capped with nothing to spend it on. Once you hit that iLevel the only thing you can do is rated, which I can’t really do because of having to go AFK often and sporadically. Honor points…eh…buy gear and disenchant it? It’s idiotic.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like BGs are unplayable now for me. I will just scrub any WoW plans I think.

I haven’t done a lot of BGs but have had fun in them. Seems like the Horde is much better organized for the most part so we usually don’t win as Alliance but I’m definitely not instantly dead.

I had some fun with BGs and it seemed pretty quick to gear up until you start hitting the conquest wall. I can’t believe they’ve never tried to change Alterac Valley. Every battle is just 2 blobs racing to the other base, take the towers, wait for the timers, and then try to burn down the boss before the other side does it.

Yes, it’s dumb. The original AV was crazy, though. Battles could last a dozen hours or more. It was cool to play though. It felt like a war.

I am getting closer to being done. Every fucking time I decide to suck it up and run some group content, I run into some jack wagon.

Todays candidate: someone who thought I was just following along AFK because my damage on trash wasn’t great. He even literally said, “r u pushing buttons?” Too late, I realized I should have said “well, I’m clearly pushing yours.”

I was literally thinking of someone on QT3 going “the LFG tool like playing with bots” and I was thinking “These folks are bots, and it’s cute how the AI trash talks me” when the guy starts in.

There is almost nothing for me to do solo other than fill some meaningless bars. I thought BfA was going to be a tough one to top for bad expansions, but this one rose to the challenge.

Do you do group content with a guild at all? I pug quite a lot in dungeons but my preference is when we have a full guild group instead. We’re all in discord so can laugh or taunt each other when things go horribly wrong.

No. I’m in one of the largest Stormrage guilds, and they do a lot of M+ and we have like 5 raid teams.

That said, I’m working on leveling my horde hunter on Area52.

I like the big guilds for the always active chat, but I feel kinda lost in them.

Also, my social center to the game is just gone these days. Of my original crew, only one still plays but I haven’t actually done anything with her in-game in years. I’m not long enough for people to remember who I am really in the guilds.

In hindsight, the move off Argent Dawn to A52 was a mistake. Argent was dead, but guild was full of the sarcastic people I like. I am thinking of moving back there. Also, my Alliance Stormrage guild is pretty good.

Obviously, my problem – like most people – is pug jerks. I was really hoping Communities would solve some of the issues between realms, but it hasn’t.

The BG jerks are just as bad. If you’re losing, and you’re gonna lose about half the time, there’s always at least one player insulting everyone. It gets old.

I think in the end this is why I stop playing after a while. Oh sure, I join guilds that are full of friendly, nice, helpful people. But it’s not the same as the crew I ran with when we all first started playing WoW. You really can’t go home again.