World of Warships

The super secret knowledge of Don’t sail in a straight line continues to elude our new Captains. My Steam guy has a k/d of 9-1 thus far, in a game that usually has 12-v-12 rounds.

I did just ding level 11 though, so only one more level and then I get mixed back in with the general population.

Email today:

New Year gifts are waiting for you in World of Warships!

It seems you haven’t gone out to sea for quite a while. There are a lot of great gifts waiting for you, so you can make your comeback in style. Just log in to World of Warships, grab your bonus before January 3, 2018, and play again with your old and new friends—onward to victory!

Your gifts:

80,000 Free XP. That’s enough to upgrade any Tier VI ship!
7,500,000 credits. Buy anything you want: ships, mods, etc.
Commander with 7 skill points. His skills will be a great help to your future victories.
10 days of Premium Account. Get maximum profit with little effort.
Premium Tier V battleship Giulio Cesare. She has everything needed to become your new favourite!

We wish you epic victories in the coming year!

Makes me glad that I haven’t played in a while.

The Cesare is a cool ship, too, not a clunker at all. You can I think also get a Texas for logging in and playing a game or so, IIRC.

You weren’t kidding. That ship is really something. This reminds me of an ex showering me with gifts so that we’d get back together. :)

Well, this came out on my steam updates…

Wow, that is some heavy target market shift.

You spelled that last word incorrectly.

Not really. The ARP stuff has been in the game for a while, mostly around the Kongo battleship and Myoko cruiser.

The ARP boats are hideous, because they’re bright pink or purple, but getting a free port slot and a free 10 point Captain that can be used in the IJN lines was too good to miss.

Plus, alll the boats are “gold” which means you can use them to freely retrain the Captains without the usual penalty when a Captain moves main ship.

If WG ever manage to link up with Kancolle they’re going to be able to buy their own country with the money people will throw at them.

I have a bajillion versions of the IJN Kongo in the ARP color schemes. They were totally free (got them for playing the game like I usually do), and for a while, totally useless, except as, well, Kongos (I have the Myoko and Atago versions too), a ship that is only a Tier V anyhow although it’s pretty fun to play. Some patches ago, as Bismarck says, they changed it so you could use the captains in regular IJN ships, and vice versa, so suddenly I ended up with a bunch of ten-point (out of a max of 19 you can level to) captains. So, like, now one of my mid-tier Japanese destroyers is commanded by some kind of pink teddybear or something. I have zero interest in anime, but ten point captain is ten point captain, good for my second string ships I like to play long after leveling through them.

The High School Fleet stuff is even weirder than the Arpeggio stuff, though. It’s like that anime Girls und Panzer, where the schoolkids duked it out in WWII tanks. Here they duke it out in WWII ships or something. I have one HSF ship, the Harekaze, a damn good Tier 8 destroyer with a paint job that is pretty much just gray with a couple of red stripes (and an emblem that you can’t really see); there’s one more ship, a HSF version of the Graf Spee, a WWII German cruiser which I already have in proper Kriegsmarine livery. This latest event gives you the opportunity to pay twenty two bucks for each additional HSF captain and some paint jobs and other stuff, and opens up some in-game challenges with similar rewards. I passed, though I am doing the free collection thing where you get some other sort of crappy paint job or something. Because free.

But yeah, it’s a very weird vibe. Unlike WoT, where the tank people seem pretty hardcore, here there’s a huge anime following and the anime and wacky themed Halloween stuff and what not goes over pretty well I guess.

Might be that the boat people are not as serious. We’re mostly a year or so older than the tanky kids and with age comes tolerance. Ships is bigger in asia than tanks perhaps as well?

Could be. Also, tanks are a lot more political than boats. Sort of like how countries fear their armies (and air forces!) might mount coup attempts, but rarely worry about the navies. You get far less political posturing and historical, um, revanchism in WoWS than in WoT.

I moved ARP Haruna to my IJN Aircraft Carrier to get a quick 10 point Captain into the CV line. The only drawback is I had to learn Japanese, so I could work out things like “we are under fire” from “returning to ship.”

I recently switched back to national voices, because I realized after 6000+ battles, I didn’t need any of the voiceovers to tell me anything. I have voices turned down low anyhow to not interfere with TS comms. Some of the national voices are funny, though. The French and Italians sound comic-opera, and the Germans, well, comically Teutonic.

The Anime stuff sounds like squealing…things.

WG hid an absolute ass-ton of codes in videos that you can use to get missions to earn free flags.

Of course, Reddit just gathered and posted all the codes, so help yourself.

You can get enough missions that the post-game task tracker floods off the right hand edge of the screen.

If you have an Amazon Prime account one of the current rewards for twitch prime is for World of Warships.

Just link your WG account to Twitch and then sign into the game to pick up your loot. I got a 10 point commander and some crates and there’s also a new Twitch port to chose for your home screen.

:kappa:

I left this game in a hurry because I couldn’t spend real money to purchase the greatest commander of them all

he’s inviting you to lunch

Muffled Eurobeat playing in the distance.

I wasn’t worried at all…

If anyone is looking to get into this game, then this is a weirdly great deal.

8,000 doubloons, (premium currency), 6,000,000 silver (earned currency) and 30 days of premium for a bit over $3.

It’s good enough that I’m considering starting a third account.

If you have a Steam WoWs account the crazy deal is back on the starter kit.

For $5 you get the tier IV IJN Battleship Ishizuchi, a 6point commander and port slot, two ship mods, five containers, some paint and a special Steam flag.

Skipper … always too late to the party. I have an old high school friend I just got back in touch with and he’s dragging me into World of Warships. Good lord it’s a fremium minefield. That being said, by him adding me to his clan, it sped up things for me considerably.

Like heroin, how long do I have playing this before I slip down the rabbit hole?

Oh dear. Welcome to the fold. I been playing this on and off for ages. It used to be better.