World of Warships

Hey, control points on the map count. I’d take it.

How do you like the Baltimore?

She’s fine. The AP is nicer than the moon rocket HE on the Cleveland and the radar extends right to the edge of detection which means if you’re spotted you can almost certainly reveal the culprit.

At tier I like her more than the Buffalo.

Go to aslain.com, if you are interested in mods. Well, there’s also a section in the Warships Forum, though that gets complicated. I use Aslain’s modpack, but only a very few of them. The ones I use generally are one for the ship silhouettes which in the game are called contour icons (choose whatever looks good to you and has the info you want); a class panel with HP bars that puts a display of the ships and their remaining health at the top of the map running horizontally; one of the dynamic crosshair mods (your choice); any or none of the shell tracers mods (again, personal choice); a zoom mod, whatever extent floats your boat; an over the target marker mod (I use BADoBEST’s hitpoints + nickname); ship movement indicator (I use Aslain’s), which shows whether the ship is going forward, backward, or staying still; and a detailed damage meter that lets you know what hit you and keeps track of what you hit and for how much. I also use an advanced chat mod that tells you who and what is talking, etc.

None of these are essential, though I find playing without the info type mods excruciating.

I don’t use any mods.

The only one that interests me is the one that shows target heading, so I know for sure how much a ship is turning in/out, but I’m too lazy to get a modpack for one thing.

Out of my rough survey within the clan, this was the same consensus. Those who used them didn’t even want to play without them. Those who did not often said, things were mostly fine without them. One side note, those who played more than one of the wargaming titles were more prone to use the mods for each.

I’ll at least try them to see, thanks for the writeup, @TheWombat

Yeah, I got into them in Tanks and could never go back to vanilla.

I came this close to back-to-back Krakens today. Had four kills in the second game and torpedoes on the way when the score hit 1000 and the game ended.

Gave it the full Darth Vader Nooooooooo!

I tried one battle in the stupid Brawl mode. My Harakaze vs. a Biz. I won, as apparently the sushi I sent him caused an adverse reaction. But man, how dumb can they go with these gimmick modes?

What’s a Kraken?

An award for sinking five of the enemy ships in one round. You get a special badge/achievement thing after the round that looks like this:

As teams are twelve strong at most it means you sank almost half the enemy team. My favourite thing is when you get a Kraken and still lose because the rest of your team couldn’t win 11-v-7.

I think there should be a special award for that - like a Mermaid flipping off your teammates.

Jesus … I’d kill for experience like that. Then again, I’m lower than you guys and way behind on unlocking different lines/tiers to try.

That amount of target hits and secondaries … sure, great round. But the aircraft shot down??? The fuck. Did you sit beside the enemy carrier that game but not kill it just to pad the score? That’s insane! Also the sinking shot on 5 … was the rest of the group bots? =)

Actually, bots would play better than that. That’s a fantastic round.

It was the round type where each team has one cap and you lose as soon as it’s taken. When we cleared our flank on the left the cap was already being taken and there were five enemy parked in it.

I typed in chat that I was going to come over and sink them all… and then I did*.

German BB’s are not very good and secondary builds are generally a bad idea if you’re trying to be competitive, but this was one of the exceedingly rare times it worked.

The enemy CV was striking me the whole time, because I was the obvious and easy target, which is why I have that many plane kills.

Eventually after I’d cleared the cap I’d burned through all my repairs and the CV was still coming and he finished me off about 30 seconds before time expired.

*On that point, note that the carrier that killed me is tier VI, which means my Bismarck was top tier this round. “Imma come kill y’all” generally doesn’t lead to success if you’re not top tier.

But silly fun. I regret rage uninstalling after 2019 Christmas had gifted me about a year of premium. I blew that.

I hadn’t played since March 2020 - came back for the silly Christmas ship collection missions and won 270 days of Premium out of the Christmas containers they give you.

So I’ll guess I’ll be around until fall at least. By which time I’ll be thoroughly tired of CVs and HE spam all over again and I can go back on hiatus.

Fun fact: The Bismarck is my highest tier ship.

It doesn’t seem like much has changed, so I’m probably better off forgetting it exists.

I mean I’m having fun but I can understand those that have been in this several years now and the feelings about it. My biggest question is where is all this money going? No expansions or new versions? Maybe a warships: cold war? Maybe they are already doing that and I just don’t know.

The game does look good though when I’m in battles.

That’s a good question, it’s been a long time since Warships came out. Ages since Tanks. Warplanes flopped, and I think they made something else but I forget what. No idea what they do with the money people drop on Tanks and Warships.

It really does look pretty but it’s one of the few games that makes me angry at myself for not playing better after hundreds of battles.

The money is going into their pockets. Wargaming is milking the cash cows with such vigor that the cow’s udders are chafed. I play only because one, the actual gameplay is relaxing enough to play while I eat at the computer, and two, because like others I ended up getting gifted a crap-ton of premium time. I long ago stopped taking the whole meta of the game seriously. I play to win, and don’t concern myself with much else. Still barely sporting a 51% WR but that’ll do. I’ll never be a unicum, nor do I want to be.

The game keeps getting “stuff,” but much of it is ill-conceived, fluff, or just weird. There is plenty of fun in the tech tree lines, and there are a lot of fun premium ships that are cheap, though. Personally, I love a lot of Tier VI stuff, and really am not that fond of Tier X.

I still have fun with WoWs but WarGaming have levered so much bullshit into the game that I have to play it in bursts now rather than ten rounds a day every day like I did back in the day.

The fact I could go eight months without playing in the same year a pandemic meant I was at home all day every day is telling.

Given the way they’ve looked on the test server I suspect the arrival of submarines might be the point I give it up for good.

I’ve not seen them but I hear both good and bad about subs. I was surprised they weren’t in already in a ship combat game like this.

In discord chat about it, a couple of actual Navy folks commented the firing of torps from a sub was all wrong in practice. It sounds like they went back to the drawing board though so, we’ll see?