World of Warships

So I finally broke down and made the purchase. But I can’t install the damn game! The post I made on the official forum:

I’m having a similar problem on a Win 8.1 64 bit system. Installer starts, I click through a few choices, and then it disappears. I have:

Run as administrator.
Turned off both my firewall and antivirus
Tried all compatibility modes

Nothing works. Comodo firewall detects Cloudscanner.Trojan.Gen@2@1

What’s the deal?

Any ideas?

Sorry very much for the triple post. Thought I should update though. I finally got the installer to work. But I’m not sure how. This time, I just clicked through all the default “nexts” as fast as I could. And it showed that it was downloading… the installer. Yet the game was installed instead. Fucked if I know what was going on. So now I have WoWs installing to my C: drive instead of where I wanted it (in D: games). But whatever works.

Welcome to Wargaming.net, purveyors of, um, eclectic technology. If you are on Warships, I’m TANSTAAFL there and in World of Tanks.

People call you lunch in chat? :P i know i would.

No, just Tans usually. :)

I’m Strongbad in World of Warships, I like this game, I got a very nice Japanese battleship now…all shiny and puffy.

I played WOT a little but I mostly lose interest after a short while. I think it’s the short timers and small levels that get me. I would probably enjoy some kind of semi-persistent world with massive shifting fronts. There’s also too little focus on the logistics of war such as driving around actually looking for the enemy instead of just “the enemies are over there, let’s get this wrapped up in 3 minutes, my mom is calling”

It’s CounterStrike with tanks (or boats), that’s why. Never was intended to be anything remotely resembling a simulation. It leads to grossly ahistorical stuff, but it can be fun if you accept it for what it is. But yeah, I hear you.

The bigger issues for me are that Wargaming doesn’t commit to the vision of balanced shooter-style play, either; they keep fudging things for “historical” reasons when it suits them, and “balance” reasons when it suits them other wise, and the result is a sort of mish-mash where everyone is pissed. That, and the game is increasingly IMO driven by the need to make the very casual (read: terribad) players feel better by fudging the RNG and other parameters (note: no proof here, just my gut feeling) in their favor, and by increasing the use of premium vehicles and shells to make up for people not being able to do much normally. The latest round of premium tanks, for instance, are quite good, so good that they lack the significant drawbacks that previous premiums have had; thus, if you want the best Tier VI Brit medium, it’s no longer your normal fully upgraded Cromwell, it’s the new premium Cromwell B.

Not that it bothers me much–bought the Crommie B and the Rudy myself–but the game is such that unless you really love tanks, per se, there are better competitive games out there.

The land game in War Thunder is pretty decent. At least the few times I’ve played it. But it’s by no means a serious simulation either.

Yeah I know when I don’t know anything. I’ve tried, as a cruiser, to get on point close to a larger ship. Yet they just blast ahead. So while I’m trying to figure out my next move, I’m destroyed by the guys looking for my buddy.

I’m splunge on WoWs. Maybe we can get a game and a strategy together one day. I may be on for one more game or two. Maybe.

If you got a battleship, stay on max range, destroyers charging you are not easy prey, they will torp you. Aircraft is a problem too, so it’s nice to not be seen by the entire battlefield early on

coughbullshitcough a battlewagon is wildly inaccurate at max range yet will get spotted. Grow a pair an close to ten clicks. Watch motherfuckers got recked.also always shoot AP. Turn INTO incoming torpedo spreads at 3/4ths power. Laugh at the DD as your secondary batteries tear him a new one.

This is generally not a wonderful idea. Yes, you can do it, and it makes it easier to kill a destroyer (a battleship will not hit a destroyer who is not AFK much past 10 KM, but you really open yourself up to torpedoes. Unless you’re in a warspite, you won’t be able to avoid torpedoes this close. You will see a bunch of torpedoes heading right in to your side, turn in to them and take 2-3, if not more. As a battleship, your destroyers and cruisers should be taking care of destroyers while you focus on enemy battleships and cruisers. This lets everyone do what they do best.

I agree that AP ammo is almost always better now. Supposedly this changes in the next patch (fire is sounding kind of Overpowered just from second hand stuff), but i haven’t played it yet.

If you’re in a fuso (one of the most common and best battleships for mid tier), i’d say 15-20 KM in general. Yes, at max range, you will miss often, but you will also hit sometimes, especially against enemy battleships, which is where most of your fire should be going if your team is supporting you. If you close range, you increase your risk and reward. Sometimes it is worth it, sometimes it is not.

Destroyers and torpedo bombers are a real threat though. I’ve seen way too many battleship captains get instant killed not to give destroyers/torpedo bombers a very healthy respect. The only reason i don’t really fear either group that much is because my current battleship is a warspite which while it has its own set of issues, torpedoes are generally not one of them (unless you get unlucky or the other player is exceptional).

My personal strategy for use against enemy destroyers is to immediately turn away from them and use my back guns and secondary guns (if in range) to attempt to kill them. If you’re circling with them trying to trade broadsides like they are a cruiser or battleship, you’re just asking to get torpedoed. This is also what i do with torpedo bombers.

Well, don’t do that. Stay a bit behind them so that you can speed in to position (between the battleship and bombers) when torpedo bombers come for the battleship.

90% of the time you will not be targeted by the enemy battleship because they are more of a direct threat, if you can even hit them from your range. You still need to move erratically though and not stay within half a KM due to the inaccurate guns on battleships.

I captain a cruiser very often and i almost never get killed by a battleship while i’m shadowing a friendly battleship.

There is a lot of debate now on the roll of BBs. Until 3.1, with the US line and armor modifications, the prevailing meta seems to be oscillating between stay at range, to avoid torps, or close in, to actually affect the battle in domination mode, which seems to be the predominant type of match. BBs can’t really affect the battle at max range unless you’re really really good at aiming or use an aim mod, and they get shredded by torps (and even cruisers) close in. The most common complaint is that BBs don’t engage the enemy and lose the battle by staying on the periphery while the enemy DDs cap it out. As many BB drivers point out, though, attempts to close without strong coordination with friendly cruisers and destroyers is usually suicidal.

I’ve found in my limited experience (only a Fuso at the moment) that I have a lot more fun closing in moderately. But I don’t really think BBs are that fun right now.

I accidentally played the coop mode for a long time, and did just that, rushed head in with my battleships and took names, then I changed to the bigger other battle mode, and it’s a whole different ball game, you do not want to close with a destroyer unless he just missed you with his torpedoes. Stay at range, you will score hits and you will live, last time I played the sea was cluttered with Torps from planes and ships, it was hell

Here’s the fight I got into last night…

11 St. Louis. So much dakka. The screen was practically on fire the whole round.

Has everyone seen this thread on the official forum?

Every beta tester gets a free US BB. There is also this post from a Community Manager:

It will be participation-based, based on the number of battles you’ve played. Alpha Testers will remember that we initially had the requirement for the Iwaki Alpha to be 100 battles, but we cut it down to 5. I think for Beta players, you’ll be safe between 5-100 battles

Woot!

5 battles…

There is a middle ground.

I’m personally a fan of starting the game at near max range and then closing to 15ish KM as the game progresses.

It is not hard to hit at max range. You just have to accept that you won’t hit the majority of the time. The same is true for the enemy battleships though as long as you aren’t dumb enough to just slowly sail in a straight line without dodging.

Most of the people i see making comments about bringing battleships (other than the warspite) in to close range are making obviously false statements. For example, that you can dodge destroyer launched torpedoes while trying to broadside a destroyer at 5KM or that dodging manual drops are no problem in a fuso.

That said, i don’t know what will happen in 3.1 as i haven’t played the RU beta. I am glad to hear that they nerfed the new japanese carriers though. By all accounts they were mad overpowered during the start of the RU 3.1 beta. They basically had planes that were FAR more powerful (to such a degree that AA didn’t touch them) than the US carriers but many more of them. It would have been a bad day to be anything on the ground/sea. Now i just need to worry about the changes to fire and if i’m going to have my super battleship on fire 100% of the time from destroyers.