World of Warships

Hilariously, that’s exactly the gist of the statement. Along with lawyer-crafted weasel words that don’t commit to any changes.

It’s so bad that South Park’s parody of BP’s response to the Gulf disaster is a better apology.

Wargaming is lining up their scapegoat: Media Waking Up - WG Scrambling - YouTube

What’s the summary of that? Anything interesting?

The scapegoat WG tried to put forward.

LWM wasn’t buying.

Gotcha. The old “throw the junior person under the bus to protect the idiots at the top” trick.

As we were, of course, playing the weekly operation, we were all talking about what was going on. I’m trying to judge as the newest party, just how much things are affected.

So of the, “normals,” that show up for Clan Operations and fun for weekly operation, two members (out of about 10 normal) were vocally absent, both posting long diatribes on discord. If that’s relative at all, that’s not a good percentage for WG. Those of us left seriously were talking about it, but with nothing else left to pursue at the moment, we still played. But it only takes one thing to deter attraction before the house of cards falls.

Oh, I don’t begrudge people for playing the game still, certainly. I mean, no ethical consumption in capitalism and all that. All of these companies are probably horrible. And it is, for the most part, free at least.

Really, my reason for uninstalling had more to do with simply not playing the game and not wanting to play it, than anything else. Their asshattery simply made it much easier to do so.

The shit storm continues: WG Experiences Sudden Technical Limitations - YouTube

LWM’s response to that announcement.

Yeah, this is the destination the game was heading towards all along, where the mechanics are merely justifications for loot boxes. The ratio of desired rewards to number of boxes you open has been declining steadily; even with the Christmas boxes, which my clan used to always exchange with each other, it went from a pretty near certainty of getting something to a high probability of getting nothing. Even accounting for the fact that many long-time players already had a lot of premium ships, the odds were just plummeting. They are even worse for the other sorts of boxes. Not to mention the sequential bundles where you have to pay X doubloons to get some crap in hopes that the next one in line will actually have what you want–and then you have to pay the doubloons for that of course.

The psychology of loot boxes is fascinating; even knowing the terrible odds, I find them appealing in a weird way, like slot machines. It’s just a lot easier to resist when the rewards are pretty much crap.

Ya, that slot machine that takes your money and punches you in the crotch is fun, like, the first couple of times, but it gets old really really quick.

At least in Vegas, you have great food, lots of cool lights, fabulous shows, great shopping, and fun people watching. In Warships…not so much.

Free ships for inactive players? I did not get the email.

I’ve had this on my phone for ages. I used to play it fairly often since it played slow enough that it worked well on a small touchscreen I thought. I can see where getting bigger and better ships eventually became a money sink, but in the main games where does the need to spend real money start coming in? It seemed that I could just keep playing forever with the ships I’d built up for free. Granted, I played for maybe a half hour at at time a few times a week. So it’s not like I was pushing the envelope of F2P.

Technically, there is no “need” to spend money. Many people have played for years without spending a dime. Admittedly, it was easier earlier in the game’s history, when the rewards from various in-game challenges and lucky rolls (like Supercontainers) were more lucrative, but it is still very feasible to never spend anything.

The main uses for real money are to buy premium time, which greatly increases the experience and in-game currency earnings for your ships, and to buy Doubloons, their real-money currency used for everything from retraining to converting experience to buying ships, commanders, and stuff. That being said, they give away a bit of premium time here and there, as part of challenges or promotions or whatever, as well as a handful of Doubloons.

Premium ships simply earn more credits and more experience, especially free experience. They are not, as a rule, significantly more powerful than normal or tech-tree ships, though individual cases may very (looking at you Smolensk, Kutuzov, original Belfast, et al). Recently WGA has been nerfing premium ships anyhow, so there’s no guarantee you will always have the ship you bought in any event.

The only real reasons to pay them money are one, to get specific premium ships or other things you just gotta have for whatever reason, and to make the grind up all the ship lines easier with premium time. If you are content to fight a lot of battles and are along for the journey more than the destination, you don’t need to spend money. Leveling up those lines will be slow though as you will be chronically cash-strapped without premium time–by design, I’m sure.

Taking into account the grains of salt needed when processing these sorts of Internet screeds, sure as heck doesn’t look good. Not surprising, though.

Nor did I. Not that I would return.

They periodically send out enticements for new and returning players, though the rewards are usually so pathetic that it won’t exactly sway anyone who wasn’t already going to play anyhow.

I probably unsubscribed from all WG email a while ago so that could explain why I didn’t get the offer.