World War 3 - Indie Battlefield 4.5 or something

I guess this is for all those Battlefield 3/4 fans that just want more modern-day warfare. Unfortunately, it’s another uber-obnoxious video. Here’s a less in-your-face video from Gamescom:

Indeed. I’m out.

Better video

Better magazine

https://www.ww3.nyc/

Anyone taking a chance on this?

Levelcap seems to like it, but not sure why people would move on from BF4 if they already have it.

Because it’s been 5 years since BF4 was released, and this, although similar, is new and fresh, and doesn’t play exactly like BF4?

I bought it, but haven’t had the time to fire it up yet. From Levelcap’s “review”, his cons mostly sound good to me, so I’m looking forward to try it out.

So I wanted to sink some time into it this weekend, but every time I started it, it never even got into the menu (hang at the “connecting to server” screen). And with RDR2 coming out this weekend, I’m not sure when I’ll get the time to check it out, especially if their servers are still this bad. Which sucks, because everything I hear about it checks all my FPS boxes. In fact, if it plays like what I hear/have seen, it may replace BFV for me even though I’ve already pre-ordered the latter.

Yep, from what I’ve read, most people have connection problems.

That’s one thing players and even devs seems to forget when doing a multiplayer game. Well, not forget, for the devs is more how they underestimate how complex and hard is to get the network infrastructure part right. Having a reliant central server with redundancy, having a good scaling solution, be protected of DDoS in some way, having player servers all over the world, having a good anti-cheater solution integrated, having a report system and some kind of anti-abuse system, and of course having a good connectivity system (going around router/firewalls in a transparent manner for the user), and having a netcode with prediction and anti-lag systems.
It’s all easier said than done.

Yeah, from what I’ve seen when people are playing it looks like it could be fun, but they really fumbled on the server rollout.

Fifth day of trying to just get into the menu, and still no success, so I just requested a refund. Fuck these muppets.

So I tried it again during the free weekend, and it’s pretty decent now. It still needs some improvements as there’s framedrops, wonky animations, long load times, etc. But the core gameplay is solid, and I love the weapons customization. Overall, I think it’s the best Battlefield since BF4.

So I ended up buying it as it’s 40% off, and with the stupid Steam competition this got me another $5 in the Steam wallet. So for $10 it’s definitely worth it, especially looking at the road map going forward.

Oh, was there a free weekend?

Yes, but I don’t think many people noticed as it only had ~2k peak concurrent players, which is now down to what it was, around ~500.