World War II General Commander: Operation Watch on the Rhine

Anyone?

I’m looking for impressions. It’s a game recently released that seems like a mix of old school wargame with a modern interface. It looks rather pretty but I have no idea if it’s a good game. Sure they could have used a shorter name.

It’s available online here.

Problem is they use limited downloads, limited activations and glancing at the forums I’ve noticed terrible support, so I’m wary of trying to buy this.

There’s an enthusiastic review here.

Problem is they use limited downloads, limited activations and glancing at the forums I’ve noticed terrible support, so I’m wary of trying to buy this.

Makes me wonder if Storm Eagle Studios is influencing the indie wargame scene. Jutland is a game that is right in my wheelhouse, but I refuse to purchase a piece of software that has to phone home every seven days and a developer that more than arrogantly defends this.

Same here, scharmers. You know what I do to get my strategic gaming fix these days? Board games. I can play them with more people and there’s no DRM!

Matrix is good too, they just have the one activation. Also they email you with updates. But their catalog is looking dry lately.

This one looks okay, the name is completely ridiculous though. It sounds like they wanted to make it a series, but never quite considered how it would sound all together.

Two things coming up look good there: the Across the Dnepr add-on for Kharkov from SSG, and Battles from the Bulge from Panther Games. But those are Q1 sometime, but later rather than sooner I bet.