World War Z movie FAIL

Perhaps in World War Z they’ll finally explain the island from Lost.

They all died in the plane crash…and became Zombies!

I find this kind of funny, actually…

“…tasked with finding a way to stop a zombie pandemic from decimating all of humanity.”

In the World War Z book, Brooks actually makes a point in explaining that “decimating” is misused by people. It actually means “to reduce by 10%”. To have the word misused in an interview about a movie that likely butchers the book in every way tickles me for some reason.

Endorsing prescriptivism in language is a great idea, assuming you want to spend your entire life angry. That’s the etymology, but it isn’t the definition anymore.

It’s like you read his post, but you also didn’t read his post. Or perhaps just haven’t read the book and thus did not understand his post.

Or am just tired of how often I hear “actually, that’s not what decimate means…” and chose to TAKE A STAND.

I just hope the cat makes it out ok.

Well it could mean that. Maybe the zombie apocalypse will wipe out 10% of humanity.

— Alan

Pretty weak apocalypse. Plagues have done better than that…

Didn’t the Bush presidency do more than that?

No, he’s saying only irritating pedants bring up the 10% thing any more. The common usage of the word has changed to just mean a situation where very heavy casualties are inflicted or suffered.

I love the cat. It’s like the guy tasked with putting that poster together realized what an incredibly stupid pile of dumb everything in it was, so he just threw in the leaping cat like “FUCK IT, I MIGHT AS WELL AMUSE MYSELF.”

It’s a 'shop.

I couldn’t care less about the use of the word “decimate”. I was just saying that I find it funny that in the book itself, which the movie is based on and the person being interviewed was directly a part of, the author uses “decimation” as a major point multiple times in the book. Brooks goes out of his way to point out that the word is used incorrecly and goes so far as to explain the proper usage and meaning. To then have it appear in the interview tickled me for some reason.

If you haven’t read the book, didn’t enjoy it, or don’t remember how often the decimations were referenced, my comment wouldn’t make a lick of sense. Wasn’t meant to be some in depth commentary on the dumbing down of the English language.

But that just removes the only clever thing about this entire movie!

I bet Zombie Cat movie poster is better than the movie.

And I’m saying, why should anyone in the interview care about Brook’s pedantry as to avoid using the word in it’s proper modern sense? As Funkula notes, Brooks is tiresomely confusing etymology with definition.

If you haven’t read the book, didn’t enjoy it, or don’t remember how often the decimations were referenced, my comment wouldn’t make a lick of sense. Wasn’t meant to be some in depth commentary on the dumbing down of the English language.

Any living language evolves. We are surrounded by completely accepted words whose modern definition does not match the original, and we don’t consider it worrisome or “dumb” at all (speaking of dumb, “nice” is my favorite of these). It’s only a tiny handful of words that are noticeably still in transition that middlebrow pedants fret about pointlessly and the degree to which these words are their pet peeve are in turn a pet peeve of mine. So fuck Brooks and his centuries outdated definition of decimate.

I was initially with JFrazer in thinking it was funny, but you guys with your vehement anti-pedantry have sucked all of the funny out of it and several other topics unfortunate enough to be on the same page. Even the zombie cat photoshop isn’t funny anymore. I think the funny has even been sucked out of other threads.

Same here. It was ironically funny until a few mewling humorless anti-pedants sucked all joy from it.

Zombie cat cannot evolve. Since it’s dead. And not real.