Worm - the best superhero fiction ever written

How does this forum not have a thread on Worm, a web serial by John McCrae (under the alias Wildbow)? You can even read it for free, just by clicking that link!

It’s to my mind the best superhero fiction ever (maybe best superhero entertainment of any sort). I got into it after a friend described it roughly as “it’s about superheroes who use their powers in a mostly intelligent and often surprising manner”. This was vague enough to spoil nothing and specific enough to make me have a look. And it was indeed accurate.

The setup is that a few decades ago people started gaining superpowers due to unknown reasons. The world also started really going for the crapper for various reasons.

The protagonist of the story, a teenage girl, has recently gained powers. Except she didn’t exactly win the superpower lottery: she can control bugs. But hey, a crappy superpower is still a superpower, and she’s going to be a superhero no matter what! There’s just a few things that need to be taken care of first…

It would be so easy, so easy to just go Carrie on the school.

There’s a couple of things that make this book special in my mind. One is the word-building (and yes, the review thread about Deadhouse Gates is what jolted me into starting this thread). The wide array of superpowers and the way they interoperate, the heroes and villains, the organizational dysfunction of super-bureaucracies, etc. It all just fits in together logically while feeling fresh and inventive.

The second is the format. This was published three chapters a week, with no breaks, over the course of two years. How do you keep people returning for the next installment for two years? By a total mastery of compelling cliffhangers. It’s a little bit like reading good Dumas; somehow no matter how many things get resolved by the end of the chapter, there is something you absolutely need to know and that’ll obviously be revealed in the next one.

This art of the cliffhanger was probably a necessity when this was published as a serial; it’s downright dangerous when reading the complete work. While on my first read-through of Worm, for a couple of weeks I was only getting a few hours of sleep every night and then shambling to work like a sleep-deprived zombie.

This was not an isolated incident. Of the half dozen people I recommended Worm to (and the friend who originally told me about it), all but one ended up with a similarly unhealthy short-term obsession. There’s something special there.

This isn’t to say that this is some kind of a flawless work. It’s 1.6M words written by one guy who was also working full-time on some kind of menial job at the same time. It has not been professionally edited. Hell, it hasn’t even been unprofessionally edited. That shows. A good editor would probably be able to cut this by 25%, while also fixing a bunch of verbal ticks that eventually get annoying.

But you know what? When reading Worm, I just didn’t care at all that the writing was rough.

He’s very aware of the (IMO few) flaws, and one of the primary reasons it’s never been officially published in non web format is that he doesn’t think it’s polished enough to do that and would want to go back and rewrite or at least tweak. And while maybe he has some plan to do that sometime, I can imagine how huge a task that would be, especially given that he’s still writing serials. (I think he’s actually working on another one in Worm’s setting at the moment, but I am still working on his second, Pact, off and on.)

Might I recommend to anyone visiting that website this Chrome extension:

Makes it look less like shit to my (getting) old eyes.

Before:

After (very customizable - here’s Solarized light):

Solarized Dark:

Edit: And if you’re like me and you absolutely can’t stand double spaces after periods, run this in console (you’ll need to repeat for each page):

jQuery("p").html(function(i,html) { return html.replace(/ /g, ' ');});

I finished it back in 2014 and some people here read it as well I think.

Really loved it. It’s not without its flaws of course but it’s amazing to me how good it is without an editor. I just reread it recently so I could start his new Gloworm series based on the same universe and it’s fun as well, but not near as great so far.

Pact was meh but Twig I thought was pretty good. Certainly one of the more inventive worlds I have ever stumbled across.

You would also probably enjoy Drew Haye’s Superpowered novels + spin offs, I certainly did. Not as dark, certainly simpler, but still a great time.

Appreciate both the OP and the Chrome extension!

I don’t hate anything enough to have to repeat a script every page. :)

Thanks for the Google Easy Reader extension, very cool!

E: How do I make it looks Solarized Light? What are the settings I need?

Fonts and sizes are all my own suggestions, not specified in Solarized

For copy/pasting:

#fdf6e3
"Lucida Grande", "Lucida Sans Unicode", sans-serif
"Palatino", "Book Antigua", "Georgia"
#b58900

Or go download the Stylus extension (it’s a Stylish replacement since Stylish apparently was spying on users?):

and then click this link for the solarized light user style I threw together:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/matthewboonstra/qt3UserScript/master/worm.solarizedlight.user.css

And then you don’t have to click every time for Easy Reader

I recommend the free audiobook: http://audioworm.rein-online.org/

Just subscribe in your podcast app and sort by oldest first so you can listen to in order. Be warned the audiobook starts out a bit rough but improves a ton over time, and eventually does a few full cast chapters that are just fantastic.

Don’t google any character names or anything. Ever. The very first sentence of many wiki articles will spoil important things at the very end of the series.

If you are like me, and enjoy the ‘watercooler talk’ around a story while it’s in progress, the podcast called “We’ve Got Worm” can be listened to after each Arc without spoiling anything. (Arcs are like chapters, there are 30 of them in the whole thing). You can also just listen to a few of them whenever you want, no need to do every Arc episode. Just be sure listen to the Arc 1 podcast after you read Arc 1, etc, which will be the oldest episode in the feed.

There are scripts on github that you can use to scrape the sight and build an ebook. Wildbow is fine with people using them as long as they don’t post the end result for the world.

If he would ever do some editing and post them on Amazon I think he could make some money.

Fun fact: my friend runs that project, and my wife is the system voice for the superhero forum thing.

Just found out that wildbow is 13 arcs into Worm 2, and has been writing it for about a year and a half now.

Thanks for resurrecting the thread. Having read Super Powereds and The Reckoners trilogy I’m anxious to check this out.

There’s an audiobook for the sequel as well, for those who prefer that.

Wouldn’t an audiobook of Worm be like four months long?

How did you like it? I have recommended it a few times but didn’t know anybody else actually checked it out.

I have read about 6 arcs? I think into Worm 2. I like it so far but not as much as the original Worm, or Twig.

I’ve only read the first 3 (just finished a week ago actually). Overall I quite enjoy them. They are really long reads and I think could be edited down somewhat, but the characters are great and they keep the story interesting while dribbling out meta plot. I listened to all 3 on audio - the narrator was really good at having memorable voices, and yet I disliked the way he talked when narrating!

Looking forward to reading the 4th book (and maybe Corpies) but I needed something shorter to read as a palate cleanser. Currently I’m reading Dead Moon by Peter Clines.

Pretty much, but it still exists and it’s pretty good quality. (Rough in the beginning, better later, and they even do full cast recordings with a different reader for every role, for some chapters).

I am six arcs into this, listening to the audio version available on itunes. It’s a bit rough around the edges, but quite enjoyable. Both the writing and the voice acting also improve over time.

I had no idea I had a taste for dark superhero fiction. If I ever finish this, I’ll look for more! That could be a while, though, as this is a pretty big chunk of story.

I’m re-reading it as well. (I only got 12-13 arcs in the first time, up through the band of superhero serial killers, and I’d like to finish it.) I’m in arc 8 now and it’s just as good as I remember. There are a few times when I cringe ever-so-slightly at some of his characterizations, but they get smoother as he goes along. He really knows how to write an action scene though.