Worst thing you'll see all week: A Ghost Story

If you’ve been waiting for an opportunity to watch Rooney Mara eat pie for ten minutes, you’re in luck!
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2017/07/16/worst-thing-youll-see-week-ghost-story/

Thanks for saving me from this. Looked possibly clever in the trailer, but I guess my daughter was correct when she said, “Gawd! That just looks stooo-pid!”

It got a pretty high score on IMDB and sounds interesting. I think I need to check it out.

Please do and let me know if I’m crazy. I want to hear from someone who liked this.

Did anyone see Ain’t Them Bodies Saints? Because I didn’t care for that either, but it seemed like a promising enough start for a new filmmaker. And in the interest of full disclosure, I also didn’t see Pete’s Dragon.

-Tom

For what its worth, the NPR movie reviewer on All Things Considered did a 5 minute segment on the film that, while not exactly fawning, was more positive. The on air segment conveyed things a bit more negatively than the written review however.

I haven’t seen the movie myself but I’ve read quite a few reviews and the consensus definitely seems to be that nothing really happens for a while, then Rooney Mara eats an entire pie for five minutes, pukes it up, then nothing really happens again, roll credits. I am pretty sure nobody else is even in this movie.

Oh, I meant you guys. I can go on Metacritic and read a whole mess of positive reviews if I want. But I’d prefer hanging out at the water cooler with you guys.

-Tom

Hey, I’d love too, but I pretty much don’t see movies in theaters but maybe twice a year anymore. And, given that, there isn’t a chance in hell that I’d pick this. But you asked for a positive opinion, and given how limited in appeal this film is, not sure you’ll get much here.

I also did not enjoy that movie, although didn’t hate it. As one of the dudes on Filmspotting pointed out “it falls under the weight of itself.” I couldn’t have agreed more. Then he talked about how much he liked A Ghost Story, so that leaves me wondering wtf I’m gonna do… Maybe I’ll do it because Valerian looks pretty “uh-oh” to me.

See you at the water cooler maybe!

I couldn’t manage to like this. Which is fortunate, because during the Rooney eating scene my girlfriend Coco leaned over to me and asked, “Ya ever had frog pie?”

But seriously a guy in front of me did say something like, “We get it!”

I really blame A24 the most here for taking what is a perfectly fine experimental film and pretending it’s a watchable “wide” release. If I saw this in an art gallery I’d be accepting of what it is. I can’t blame the director for taking whatever budget he was given to make his art project.

-Chris Webb

I finally got to see this on DVD. At least I didn’t have to experience a theater audience’s bad reaction to some of the scenes. I do think that the scenes that seemed to go on eternally were a bit too much. I appreciate movies that seem to linger on some of the shots, but not to this degree.

I did like the movie. It made quite an impression on me, though it was also quite sad. The guy sitting at the table during the party in the house expressed a lot of what the movie was saying. Everyone has to die. It was about loss and time. The world goes on until it ends and then everything starts over as it did with the pioneer family arriving at the house location.