Worst thing you'll see all week: Cypher

Title Worst thing you'll see all week: Cypher
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Movie reviews
When September 28, 2011

I have watched and enjoyed some awful movies solely because Lucy Liu is in them. Cypher is one such movie. This 2002 release is director Vincenzo Natali's transition from the sleek sci-fi horror of 1997's Cube to the awkward Cronenberg me-too of 2009's Splice..

Read the full article

I thought Splice was awesome! It was definitely an awkward Cronenberg me-too, but it was also the best American horror movie I saw in 2010; I might be forgetting something, but a Cronenberg me-too is better than almost every horror movie getting produced these days.

Speaking of me-too's, how about the "Fourth Kind", I saw it this summer and LOVED it. Every step along the way I thought it was going to take a turn for the worst... and it never did! Without spoiling, I thought it was amazing how it took quirky fringe source material and made it horrifying and much more real and interesting than the material it was drawing from. Rotten Tomatoes score of like 26% though, which I find astounding. It may have been a "Blair-Witch" rip-off and a bit formally pretentious (which I thought worked really well except for one scene), but I think it really stood its ground.

Zach, it sounds like you and I have very different taste. I didn't care for Splice or Fourth Kind. In fact, I have a special loathing for the meta layers in Fourth Kind. And I really hate how the studio (Paramount?) banked their publicity for that movie on insisting it was real, even to the point that they didn't credit the actors. That was really tacky, in my opinion, particularly since the main actress did such a good job.

Ah, I had no idea. I missed it when it came out. So I didn't take it as a gag but a really savvy take on a new genre. In other words, I understood immediately it was fiction. That seemed to really skew the critics as well.

"Ancient Astronauts" is on its 3rd season now?

Exactly.

Cypher is listed as "Brainstorm" on IMDb in case someone would be looking for more info.

Cypher is a great movie. I loved it. It got a theatrical movie release in Australia. It does divide people, some like it, some seem to hate it. Both Northam and Lucy Liu are great.

Thanks for the bump, @Bernard_Lyons. I might have to re-watch this now, along with Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever. One of the few advantages of getting old is having no recollection of most of the bad movies you’ve watched, which usually makes them perfectly cromulent for a second go-around! :)

-Tom