Worst thing you'll see all week: I Trapped the Devil

Whoa, this guy is seriously obsessed! He went to all that trouble with that yarn!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2019/05/01/worst-thing-youll-see-all-week-i-trapped-the-devil/

Do you know how Rosemary’s Baby was called in Spain?

La semilla del diablo (The devil’s seed). Way to go, translators.

Other ones:

Duel -> The devil on wheels
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid -> Two men and one destiny (or destination, it’s ambiguous)
Thelma & Louise - > Thelma and Louise, an unexpected ending (I kid you not)

There are sooo many. So these bad movie titles bring me back to my childhood (I saw weird films for a kid :P)

Also, for all the above, we got some gems, like Die Hard being named The Crystal Jungle. Which was pretty good until they made sequels (which are still called The Crystal Jungle X).

Correction:
“He w[e]nt to all that trouble”

So is this a remake of that Twilight Zone episode where those monks trapped the devil?

When I was in Spain briefly in the mid-90’s I remember seeing a movie poster for the Jack Nicholson/Helen Hunt movie As Good as it Gets titled Mejor?.. Imposible. For some reason I giggled for hours about that one.

This is disappointing. I just rewatched House of the Devil for the thousandth time last Friday (latest episode of the Last Drive In on Shudder), and was looking forward to this because of Jocelin Donahue (where has she been??).

To be fair, if you take out the “…” (there was no “?”) that’s the correct translation.

Interesting. Does the phrase still convey the sense of resignation that the title in English does? That was what tickled me: the Spanish phrasing seems to either omit that sense or is deeply sarcastic, which had me chuckling either way.

Not really, but that’s hard to convey, because we are talking idioms. As good as it gets can be interpreted with resignation, but it’s not necessary. The idiom translation lacks that duality, but using a more literal translation would feel very strange and unnatural.

In a way, the “…” do introduce a sense of irony to the idiom’smeaning, so it might be that translation is as good as it gets.

I read somewhere that it is, essentially. That is, both this movie and TZ were based on the same short story (Charles Beaumont?) and so if you’ve seen the TZ episode, you’ve already seen this movie. At least… that’s my excuse for not going.

I think the TZ episode was titled “The Howling Man”. I believe Tom would have less bones to pick with that title.

The surprising thing about The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot was just how little of the movie was devoted to those two events. Hamfisted though it might have been, I was definitely not expecting it to spend so much time ruminating sadly on aging and the losses and regrets that pile up along the way. It’s not a great movie, or even particularly effective at what it attempts to do, but it tries its best to be more than its title.

The funny thing is “I Trapped the Devil” is not the original title. According to this article the movie was formerly called “A Man in the Dark”.