Would I be able to hook up a replacement dishwasher?

That is so good to hear. Want to know how bad my current dishwasher is? I actually run it twice in a row on full pot scrubber. And even then I still have to take some stuff out and scrub them if I didn’t before I put them in.

This is when it’s good to remember that LG is just Goldstar rebranded because Goldstar had such a bad reputation.

Depending on what’s actually wrong with your dishwasher I would be reluctant to continue doing that. The last one I replaced had a pressure issue so the water barely sprayed on the top rack, so I doubt it was actually getting very clean, even if they looked ok.

I have a Bosch which I really love. But the key thing I like about it is as others have pointed out upthread, it’s super-quiet, but that sounds like it’s not high on your list. My last dishwasher was super-noisy and could be heard loudly in every room in my condo. The Bosch for most of its cycle, you can’t even tell it’s running. Every once in a while I think it runs a pump to clear the excess water and you can hear that, but it’s not particularly loud. During general operations, can’t hear it at all unless you’re right next to it.

It also has a really, really long cycle. We can’t run appliances after 10pm (Homeowner’s association rules) and I need to start a cycle before 8pm to make sure it finishes on time.

Also it doesn’t have any heating elements, AFAICT it just uses really hot water and assumes it will dry. If I pull the door open as soon as it finishes when everything is still all piping hot, usually everything ends up pretty dry if I let it sit for just a bit for the steam and vapors to clear out. But if I don’t everything stays somewhat wet.

I died a little inside.

That being said if you can’t hear it, it sounds like you could definitely “get away with it”. :)

Yeah, it’s definitely very annoying. Although I’ll admit I can hear my downstairs neighbor’s washer/dryer and it’s not quiet and I assume they can hear mine too. I can imagine having a neighbor decide to run one at 3am would be really awful, so the rule does make sense.

The thought has occurred to me. Also I get along quite well with my downstairs neighbors and I think they’d be the only ones who could tell at all – in fact my suspicion is the Bosch is so quiet they can’t tell at all when it’s running.

Just turn on some very loud music to drown it out.

Just kidding, glad it’s a reasonable rule.

If you’re on super good terms with them you could just turn it on and ask if they can hear it.

Holy cow I had no idea! No wonder it sucks!

I would literally get almost no washing done if I had that rule.

I had one of the maytag varients and I had to replace the latch approx every 2 years. It was just poorly engineered. It was approx $10 for the part and maybe 30 minutes of unscrewing and rescrewing. Look for a youtube video of your model.

Yeah, that’s a good point. A lot of appliance packages have at least one component that is just completely another company rebadged because people love to buy matching packages. In particular, the lower priced models of higher end brands are often a completely different company than the higher end models that the brand reputation is built on.

So don’t just pick a good brand, make sure you research the specific model.

It took me 6 hours, torn up hands and knees, to get my old dishwasher detached. I wish I was exaggerating when I say 6 straight hours (4:30 in the morning and I just finished). This does not bode well for my installation tomorrow if I even have the energy.

You can do it!!

Also, was your old one cemented in place or something??

They used some kind of black magic to run a copper hot water pipe from the underside of the dishwasher, to the back of where it sat, then it went under the floor, then up through a tiny hole in the back corner under the sink cabinet and up to the hot water pipe. Seriously, I don’t know how they got it to do that because no matter how much bending I did, there was no way it was coming out when detached from under my sink. I finally had to give up and cut it inside and out to pull the dishwasher out.

Dishwasher died, it was a 2004 Kitchenaid, used 2x a week (So around 1700 cycles). So we got our money out of it.
With power to the unit (checked the breaker and the hard wired line to the unit, the control panel on the front is totally unresponsive, no lights or button beeps.

Wirecutter suggest this Bosch , anyone have it?

I see that @Dejin has a Bosch , @jpinard what brand did you go with?

Also while looking up the old washer’s model , it seems there was a class action settlement afew years ago, and I could still qualify for $100. Apparently the control board goes bad and could catch fire. We were never notified by anyone regarding this… :(

And a week or so ago I noticed a mild sweet plasticy smell in the kitchen, but I figured it was from when I last cleaned the oven.

Did someone clean the plastic controls recently? Or maybe the board burned. It doesn’t look terribly difficult to open up a kitchenaid dishwasher from what I see.

Some boards seem to be $48 so that’s pretty cheap.

Yeah I just mentioned, it’s probably the board due to the smell I recall , that I no longer smell.

I am not sure if they will replace it due to age / the lawsuit / still possible chance of fire. I’ll call on monday.

Well I was assuming you’d open it up, find an obviously burned board, and buy a replacement on ebay. AFAIK you are a very handy person.

Hmm true true , just gotta find the time. :P

So I found the control board here:

https://www.kitchenaidparts.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/WP8564543/1060953

And it also mentions if the dishwasher fails to power on, it’s probably the thermal fuse:

https://www.kitchenaidparts.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/8193762/959376

Which ebay has for $6, might just try that before getting a new dishwasher. :)

It’s ok to replace the fuse but you got to wonder why the fuse blew in the first place (if indeed that was the issue). Could be age, sure, but if you replace it and it blows again, that’s a sign something else is behind it.

I just got this one a couple weeks ago, also on the Wirecutter’s recommendation. (Consumer Reports ranks a different Bosch slightly higher, but we went with this one for a reason I can’t quite remember.)

It’s been fantastic! I love it. Mostly I just love not having to do the dishes by hand anymore–our previous one broke a while ago, and I was slow replacing it–but really it’s much better than the really old one we had before. I just scrape off the food into the compost and put the really quite dirty dishes in an poof! They’re clean! I have no complaints yet.

There was a 6 week lead time for the place I ordered it from. They blamed the 'rona, which is believable, I guess.