WoW: 16,000+ more accounts banned or suspended

In keeping with Blizzard’s aggressive stance against cheating in World of Warcraft, we have since patch 1.10 banned over 5,400 accounts and suspended 10,700 more for participating in activities that violate the game’s Terms of Use, including using third-party programs to farm gold and items. Such actions can severely impact the economy of a realm and the overall game enjoyment for all players.

We will continue to aggressively monitor all World of Warcraft realms in order to protect the service and its players from the harmful effects of cheating. Please note that selling World of Warcraft content, such as gold, items, and characters, can result in a permanent ban of the involved accounts from World of Warcraft.

Many account closures come as the direct result of tips reported to our GMs in game or emailed to [email protected] by legitimate World of Warcraft players. If you suspect that a World of Warcraft player is using an illegal third-party program to farm gold or items, or is otherwise violating our Terms of Use, please report the suspected infraction via one of the means listed above. All reports will be investigated, and those that prove false will not result in corrective action.

Yeah, unfortunately it’s what, 2 1/2 months too late. I will admit I benefited by scoring a Quel’Serrar book for dirt cheap (I figured after almost 300 runs on DM and not seeing one, this route was less painful), but it still managed to destroy the economy for certain items for quite some time.

I just wish they were a little faster on the ban stick when you would see 20 60 Hunters unguilded soloing DM you know there’s an issue happening.

But it is nice to see them tell us they’re doing it.

Could just be me, but I found it interesting that Blizzard didn’t say “selling or buying” here. Are

They don’t ban people who buy. They just take the acquired stuff away. So you end up out the gold, AND the stuff.

Bah.

Farmers never ruin the economy, only some of the whiners who play 24/7 complain about gold/item-farmers. Farmers make items more accessible for casual players, which is a good thing.

Have never seen or met a cheater in WoW, and if I did I doubt I would care, unless we’re talking hours of below-ground-teleporting, insta-kill or wtf.

If Blizzard wanted some good PR perhaps they’d announce the removal of Warden and BackgroundDownloader.exe…

This is really stupid.

How can there possibly be such a thing as a “casual player” in a game you have to pay 10$ a month for?

Oh, they must not exist, then.

Dumbest statement in a WoW thread for some time.

Who said anything about that, I just said I have not met any that could be classified as such, and having played around 90 days since launch last February (Europe) I guess you could say I’ve done my fair share of WOW.exe gaming.

Dumbest statement in a WoW thread for some time.

How is this the dumbest statement, please provide some sort of evidence to back up what I believe to be your p.o.v: -> “gold farmers ruin the economy, whine whine, /cry /moan.”

The only thing that ruins WOW are the whiners, just like they did with UO.

The economy on my server (Bladefist) works like this:

• I get loot, I sell it to the npc or if its a really good item I dont need, I’ll put it up on the auction house for a price I think it could sell for, or if there is already a item there, a few gold cheaper.
  • I check the AH for stuff I need, and if I want it, I buy it, if its too expensive (Like Robe of the Void recipe for 200g) I tell the guy selling it that I’ll buy it for him for the price I want to buy it for (25g) and he’ll either reply LOL or something similar, regardless, overpriced items = no sale, to me at least, there are other suckers who can buy that.
  • There are a lot of farmers on my server, and a few guys in my guild have bought 1000+ gold from them…
  • How is the economy on (my main) (my) server ruined by farmers? (I’ve also played on other servers and not noticed anything being ‘ruined’ there either… maybe its just on your server?)

How?

Because person A can no longer sell an item he has had a “monopoly” on for 250g anymore, but persons b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i , j can now buy it for 50g on the AH?

Tell me how “farmers” ruin the economy.

I make, on average, about 30 dollars per hour working.

I can farm about 30 gold in an average hour of farming.

I can buy over 500 gold for that same thirty dollars.

Tell me again why I should hate gold farmers?

I like these statements, as they sort of capture the inevitable breakdown that occurs in these discussions. There are WoW players who would happily spend a hundred dollars to greatly improve their gameplay experience. And there are other players who have annual incomes of a hundred dollars. There’s a large enough middle ground to make for some interesting discussions, but the extremes are so completely removed from one another that interesting discussion tends to be difficult.

May I ask where you can farm at a rate of 30g/hour, and do you have to be kitted out in phat MC/BWL purples to manage it?

All I know is that on my server (Kul Tiras) the inflation is insane. Some blue items are selling for 5 or even 10x what they were a couple of months ago. This may be because the server is new and the economy is settling in. Part of it is because more twinking of low level characters for the battlegrounds is taking place now. I’ve seen it suggested that gold farmers are contributing to this, but I have no feel as to whether or not enough players buy gold to eally influence the economy so dramatically.

Purple items cost as much as they do because those who get those drops know suckers will pony up 1000g or more to companies like IGE. After all, what’s $30? Especially when you can get it right back by passing the suckerdom to someone else.

You can wear the item for prestige, but how prestigious is it to pony up $30 dollars for 5 more DPS or a 100 more armor? And why do I get the feeling that you who have coughed up the dough to IGE were offended when Bethesda asked for $1.50 for some stupid horse armor?

They price in the AH at 500 gold, and sell in real life for $10. Farmers buy up all the reasonably-priced competing items on the AH and give them crazy prices so nobody can acquire “blue” items within the game - they have to send cash to China. Blizzard doesn’t care, because 100,000 Chinese farming accounts on American and European servers are just more cash for them (in their limited view), though they already lost accounts like mine partly for this reason. This play at enforcement is just a PR move that won’t affect anyone, as the Chinese farm-factories will just purchase 5,000 new accounts; whatever that costs in China is probably trivial compared to the cashflow and salaries, and it doesn’t represent a significant share of the farm-factory accounts.

Were you serious about not understanding how farming breaks the economy? If so, I suggest you look into the Chinese MMORPG-farming industry, as it’s not something one can understand by studying the game alone, as though it were a closed system.

The reason things cost 500 gold instead of 30 gold is because other people can do the same thing. In other words, remove the gold farmers, and you would be able to buy the same thing for 30 gold instead of 500 gold, without going through the “Send a check to China” step.

Chinese farmers don’t buy up cheap items on the AH and re-list them at a higher price. That’s what I do. If I couldn’t play the AH I’d either use IGE or quit WoW. Grinding mobs for rare-drops is just too damn tedious.

You’ve just illustrated a point I’m fond of making: Not all gold farmers are commercial farmers. If you want gold, you’re going to either go to IGE, play the Auction House, or farm for it yourself.

Trying again with my previous opinion on this:

Instead of making our game a real world time spent based economy which I’m perfectly fine with for no apparent reason, they’re including FILTHY REAL-WORLD MONEY OH GODZ THIS SUCKS

WoW is inflationary by design: Lots of money is constantly entering the economy, and very little leaves. If there were no commercial farmers, inflation on a WoW server would still be ridiculous. An individual gold farmer certainly causes more inflation than an individual player, but the number of “normal” players is vastly greater than the number of commercial farmers. Furthermore, farmers tend not to focus on farming gold per-se: They focus on farming valuable items, which disappear from the economy much faster than gold. Without research, I’d find it hard to make any authoritative claims on how commercial farmers affect the server economy.

To lay my cards on the table, the only convincing arguments I’ve ever heard against commercial farmers focus on their efforts to break or exploit the game, or on the more general principle of respecting Blizzard’s intentions. Focusing on their effects on the in-game economy seems crazy, because if you look at it that way, you don’t have a problem with commercial farmers at all: You have a problem with everyone else who plays WoW.