WoW cracks 4M subs

Saw this from someone on the Blizz boards. Don’t have the orignal source, but it’s quoted:

IRVINE, California - August 29, 2005 - Blizzard Entertainment®, Inc. today announced that World of Warcraft®, its subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), has reached more than one million paying customers in North America. This brings the total population for Blizzard’s critically acclaimed game, the largest MMORPG in the world, to more than four million paying customers.

And:

World of Warcraft’s Paying Customer Definition
World of Warcraft customers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or purchased a prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the installation box bundled with one free month access. Internet Game Room players having accessed the game over the last seven days are also counted as customers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or canceled subscriptions, and expired pre-paid cards. Customers in licensees’ territories are defined along the same rules.

So it’s not just 4M sales of the box, but 4M current subscribers. WoW!

<Cue “We are the Champions”>

<Now cut to “Chariots of Fire” Montage of Programmers looking funny at work.>

Holy Moley…

Figure $40M a month in subscribers x 12, that’s $480M per year.

Half a billion dollars a year. PC gaming is dead???

Indeed.

That is really incredible. Kudos to them. They deserve it – WoW is one of the best computer games ever released, IMO (and is easily the best MMO).

Blizzard isn’t dead. That’s about all you can say.

[quote=“Jazar”]

Blizzard isn’t dead. That’s about all you can say.[/quote]
What about Valve?

The first per-capita realistic simulator of being a medieval peasent!

I’ve been looking up numbers for SWG lately, but the most recent data I can find is 800,000 active accounts… for all of SOE. And that was in February.

http://sonyonline.com/corp/press_releases/020305_SOE_Seattle.html

“Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a subsidiary of Sony Pictures Digital Inc., is a recognized worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online games, with a subscriber base of over 800,000 active accounts around the globe.”

So 4 million global subs for WoW ain’t so bad. Go Blizz. Who else is at this level? Lineage?

Original source: http://www.blizzard.com/press/050829-wow.shtml

-Walt

I agree.

I agree.[/quote]

My own withdrawal symptoms now that college has started again indicate a similar conclusion.

If all it produces are MMOs, FPSs and RTSs, it might as well be. But that’s a personal judgement.

What the fuck.

We cannot even say anymore that it doesn’t retain subscriptions.

That’s just insane and nothing else.

Looks like he didn’t predict this one…

I was expecting the NA subscriptions to remain steady or just slightly grow.

It’s true that the game still sells like crazy but I wasn’t expecting it to also retain the subs.

Yeah, but in a lot of the Asian markets it’s not $10 a month. They buy these cheap (like $2) “game cards” that given them X number of hours of play. Now, some guys buy enough time to spend $10 a month or more. But a whole bunch of the Asian players, while technically subscribers, don’t spend nearly that much.

And then, of course, he US price isn’t even $10 a month. It’s $15, or $14 or $13 if you buy multiple months at a time.

I bet the $480M a year figure isn’t far off, though. I wonder how much a year it costs to run the service and support, plus develop new content?

I also wonder if people who are on guest passes and trial “subscriptions” but haven’t paid anything yet are counted in that 4 million?

Ah, yes, Jason. That may be a temporary number including the number of PC Gamer magazines sold with the demo/14-day trial included in them =)

Didn’t CGW have that demo as well? But there are other ways to get a guest pass/trial as well. I think you can get with with a FilePlanet sub or some such thing. Not to mention what they might be doing in other territories.

Also - damnit now I gotta go and play it. :P

Didn’t CGW have that demo as well? But there are other ways to get a guest pass/trial as well. I think you can get with with a FilePlanet sub or some such thing. Not to mention what they might be doing in other territories.[/quote]
As I read it, none of that is counted. All that is counted is people who have actually paid money to play (first month with the boxed game, prepaid card, or recently accessed via “Internet Game Room,” whatever that is). They specifically say that “The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions.” I think this is literally four million wallets.