WoW Expansion: The Burning Crusade...?

I’d love to see something like that, but would blizzard really throw away content that can keep new players busy? I’m not so sure.

The leaked screenshot I was referring to is the one with pretty the blood elves city on display that I have on that page. Not the other one linked with the blood elf icon.

Just for a precisation.

Once Sargeras saw that his armies were amassed and ready to follow his every command, he launched his raging forces into the vastness of the Great Dark. He referred to his growing army as the Burning Legion. To this date, it is still unclear how many worlds they consumed and burned on their unholy Burning Crusade across the universe.

Taken from the official website’s game lore.

I always thought it’d be cool if certain areas can be totally instanced so that places that Gnomeregen can be both restored for mid-level players and infected for the noobs…although that would probably break a number of game mechanics.

“Meet me at Stormwind!”
“I don’t see you!”
“Wait, did you complete “The Return of the King” quest?”
“Nope.”
“Oh, nm. I’m in a different version of the city.”

I also want Battlegrounds that are re-enactments of famous battles in WCII and III :)

I always thought it’d be cool if certain areas can be totally instanced so that places that Gnomeregen can be both restored for mid-level players and infected for the noobs…although that would probably break a number of game mechanics.

That could work for something like Gnomeregan, though. Anyone below level 40 gets the Gnomeregan instance as it is now. Anyone above level 40 who has completed the quest “The Grand Betrayal” gets an entirely different instance where the Gnomes are back in control, the city is no longer irradiated, etc. In this new instance, the Gnomes might give different, higher level quests to clear out still-infected areas of the city or there could be vendors that sell potions or enchantments and the like similar to the Argent Dawn vendors. Come to think of it, that would also eliminate the possibility for high level players to twink their friends through the zone, and it was also prevent people from stealth-farming to bosses and soloing them.

The technical challenges for something like that might prevent it, but it would be pretty cool.

I’m also wondering how they’re going to handle the missing Stormwind King. Obviously he’s not going to stay captured forever, and there’s an island off the coast of Dustwallow Marsh where you can find him now, so there must be some future plans to finish off “The Missing Diplomat” quest chain.

I went and read HRose’s blog entry linked above, and got some probably unintentional comedy from it:

Because surely it’s the most important magazine since HRose contributed to it. :lol:

Other than that, good collection of info. The Blood Elf screenshot could easily have been photoshopped, but I’m still inclined to believe that they’ll be the Horde race.

We’ll all know in 2 weeks anyway.

I wonder how they will implement the levels 60-70 if the rumor about raising the level cap is true. I don’t think they can give new talent points, for example, since the talents seem to be balanced with the assumption in mind that 51 is the max number of talent points (so you can’t get a 31pt and a 21pt talent from two different trees).

They can rebalance the talent trees by adding a fourth tree. I suspect that’s what they will do.

That would be so much extra work for them, and they’re still hammering out changes to what’s there. While it wouldn’t put them back on square one, it would probably put them at square one and a half.

That’s a heck of a lot of rebalancing.

I could see them adding something like new Prestige Talents for 60-70. If that’s what you meant, I think it’s a lot more likely.

Yeah, it would be a lot of work, but I think it’s safe to assume that the expansion has probably been a work in progress even before WoW launched.

I’m also thinking that the expansion is a late '06 game, so they have a year to work on it from now as well.

I think new talents are entirely appropriate for an expansion. It gives current players something new to play with.

That’s still the current Orc trait text. It hasn’t been updated to reflect the changes yet.

/yell Bring back Furion Stormrage!

I’m not lvl 60 yet so I haven’t been to instances higher than Sunken Temple, but why is Balnazzar still alive? Didn’t Sylvanas make Varimathras kill him in Frozen Throne right before they established their main settlement over the Lordaeron ruins?

I am having a hard time imagining the existence of a force in Azeroth that is powerful enough to destroy Ironforge. The orcs couldn’t destroy Ironforge in their initial invasion of Azeroth, and I doubt another race in the game has the power or the inclination to try and destroy Ironforge.

I could imagine the story taking many possible world-changing directions:

1. Return of the Stormwind king.
  2. Return of Furion Stormrage and overthrowing Fandral Staghelm.
  3. Full-scale return of the naga to the surface world since their queen Azshara, the previous night elf queen, is still alive and extremely powerful.
  4. Illidan returning to Azeroth to take another stab at Arthas. He has to, or he will be killed by the demonlord Kil’jaeden.
  5. Arthas amassing large forces landing on Azeroth and Kalimdor from Northrend.
  6. Sylvanas being betrayed by Varimathras for Balnazzar.
  7. Death of the very old now Cairne Bloodhoof and the implications of this for the Tauren and their alliance with the Horde.
  8. Titans returning to restore order in an amazingly corrupted world.
  9. Orcs unhappy with the direction Thrall is taking overthrow him and return to their bloodlust.
  10. This last one is extremely improbable, but I saw want a resolution for this mystery. The return of the Alliance expedition that went to Draenor to prevent Nerz’hul from sending orcs to Azeroth after the first invasion. The statues of the Alliance heroes who went there are on display in the Valley of Heroes in Stormwind - Alleria Windrunner, Khadgar, Turalyon, Lord Lothar, etc. Blizzard is coy about this, saying no one knows what happened to the leaders of the expedition, but I hope they eventually return and are not dead.

Obviously this will all probably prove bullshit in 2 weeks time, and the story direction is limited by the title, but it’s fun to speculate.

Saw this very interesting bit. Hope it’s not a fake. Apparently, one of the dragons in the new Emerald Dream instances drops an item that begins a quest, which ends in the following:

http://pacifistguild.org/media/index.cgi?id=586

BRING BACK FURION!

EDIT: Didn’t know if everyone here knew about this, but they also know the location of Brann Bronzebeard now, Magni Bronzebeard’s lost brother. He’s in an encampent in southern Silithus:

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/underdev/1p8/silithus/silithus-map.html

Mouse over to the encampment at the bottom.

You know, this world is too complicated. I mean there are already so many forces fighting for control that they really didn’t need to add an insect race that is also vying for global dominance.

And they’re controlled by one of the Old Gods. If those ever come out of their imprisonment, things will head down the shitter.

I don’t think it’s too complicated. I think the more complicated it gets (without going ludicrously over the top), the more “real” it seems.

I don’t care that I (let alone one of my lvl 20 characters) may not know all of the lore/history/goings on, because a) I can learn them reasonably and b) I don’t know everything going on in the real world.

It was fun to watch the reaction in Duskwook General the other night, when someone discovered the new epic Dragon in Twilight Grove.

I was good-naturedly complaining, I like the lore (as if that isn’t obvious). But really, the existence of the silithid is an unnecessary complication.

All the character selection screens look photoshopped but those other ones look somewhat real. If anything it confirms that Blood Elves are content in the expansion, but I wouldn’t count it as definitive proof that they are the new race for Horde (although it seems likely).

Maybe, but there are plenty of examples of built-up city areas that you have to attack for quests. They may have just fleshed-out the Blood Elf presence in Azshara.

Yeah, Malfurion needs to come back. Staghelm is such an ass.

Mirrored

“Serving Illidan to sate their magical addiction, the blood elves have grown stronger than they even imagined. But even now, with demonic magic in constant supply, many of the blood elves find they prefer the rush of hunting a demon and draining it of it’s entire life force, over the realtively weak supply of demonic blood freely given them by their demonic masters.”

• May consume demonic corpses to gain attack and …

If fake it’s really well done.

Ah, ok. Didn’t see those screens, just the broad city one.

Oh hell yeah blood elf huntar chick with big boobs here I come!